i5 4590k vs i7 4790k

i5 4590k vs i7 4790k  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Better for gaming and multitask (no editing)

• i5
    • i7

So obviously the question here is is the i7 worth the extra $100 ? I mainly use my computer for gaming (BF4, GTA, LoL, Far Cry,....) and multitasking (bunch of tabs on chrome and a few programs running at the same time). No editing and rendering whatsoever. I've watched some videos on Youtube about the FPS between these 2 cpus on a lot of games and there seems to be not a big difference on most of the top tier and popular games. So for what I do everyday, should I save $100 and go with the i5 ? 

Nope absolutely no to little difference between i5 and i7 for gaming at the moment.

Yes.

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 / GPU: ASUS GTX 750 Ti 2GB / RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz & Mushkin Enhanced 4x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz / Wifi Card: TP-LINK Archer T9E AC1900 Dual Band MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97x / SSDs: Mushkin 240GB & SanDisk 240GB / Case: NZXT Source 210 Windowed / PSU: Corsair CX430M / OS: Windows 8.1 Home (Never Windows 10)

Just now, BallOfPanda said:

Yes.

I assume you answer my last question and not the 1st one ? lol xD

Just now, N_Bot said:

Care to share more than a three word answer?

The i7's advantage is hyper-threading, which the OP obviously doesn't need.

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 / GPU: ASUS GTX 750 Ti 2GB / RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz & Mushkin Enhanced 4x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz / Wifi Card: TP-LINK Archer T9E AC1900 Dual Band MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97x / SSDs: Mushkin 240GB & SanDisk 240GB / Case: NZXT Source 210 Windowed / PSU: Corsair CX430M / OS: Windows 8.1 Home (Never Windows 10)

Yes, allocate that extra money to a stronger GPU but I'm not sure which graphics card you are using. Besides you can overclock both CPU's to well over 4 GHz. 

3 minutes ago, N_Bot said:

Nope absolutely no to little difference between i5 and i7 for gaming at the moment.

You said no in support of getting the i7 then said there is no improvement. Read the OP again, he was asking if he should get the i5.

1 minute ago, BallOfPanda said:

Oh. I thougt you were saying go for the i7. Question had two parts wasn't sure which you were answering.

Just now, N_Bot said:

Oh. I thougt you were saying go for the i7.

Again, read the last sentence of the OP.

There is fact that'll it will be more relevant than the i5 4690K for longer. Like the i5 2500K vs the i7 2600K.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 minutes ago, Tai Tran said:

I assume you answer my last question and not the 1st one ? lol xD

Yes.

There is a difference, you will notice it if you are a power user, or have a high end GPU.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

2 minutes ago, l_zheng101 said:

Yes, allocate that extra money to a stronger GPU but I'm not sure which graphics card you are using. Besides you can overclock both CPU's to well over 4 GHz. 

I'm getting the 980 ti for my 1440p 21:9 monitor (probably Dell). I thought I should just go for the i7 for a hardcore gaming PC but then $100 is still something so.....:P

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

There is fact that'll it will be more relevant than the i5 4690K for longer. Like the i5 2500K vs the i7 2600K.

I don't think any of the games I play will release a new one where i7 crush the i5 so I should go with i5

1 minute ago, Tai Tran said:

I'm getting the 980 ti for my 1440p 21:9 monitor (probably Dell). I thought I should just go for the i7 for a hardcore gaming PC but then $100 is still something so.....:P

I don't think any of the games I play will release a new one where i7 crush the i5 so I should go with i5

Yes, the i5 will have the same performance.

Just now, Tai Tran said:

Its about what will be released in the future. An i7 4790K will give you a lot more time between upgrades.

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Its about what will be released in the future. An i7 4790K will give you a lot more time between upgrades.

Not really.

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I don't think the i5 will be crushed by the i7 for any game that's going to be released in the next 5 years. By crushed I mean like >10FPS difference.

Edited by Tai Tran

Not really.

Hyperthreading adds any where up to 40% more performance per core. As it is the multithreaded scaling of my 4790K is just over 5.05x (if its overclocked past stock, otherwise its around 4.86x)

PMSL

Just now, Tai Tran said:

I don't think the i5 will be crushed by the i7 for any game that's going to be released and the next 5 years. By crushed I mean like >10FPS difference.

Multitasking, you'll want to have the i7. Benchmarks only show the fps when there's nothing but the game in the back ground. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Hyperthreading adds any where up to 40% more performance per core. As it is the multithreaded scaling of my 4790K is just over 5.05x (if its overclocked past stock, otherwise its around 4.86x)

That wont change the time needed until an upgrade very greatly.

Just now, Pohernori said:

Multitasking, you'll want to have the i7. Benchmarks only show the fps when there's nothing but the game in the back ground. 

I do multitask but I don't know if it's even considered multitask. For example, I have about 4,5 programs running at the same time (game, chrome, skype, spotify,...) at most and some running in the background (antivirus, malwarebytes, and some minor programs). Do you think that matters ? I only watched benchmarks so I don't know much about the difference between them when multitask.

Just now, Tai Tran said:

I do multitask but I don't know if it's even considered multitask. For example, I have about 4,5 programs running at the same time (game, chrome, skype, spotify,...) at most and some running in the background (antivirus, malwarebytes, and some minor programs). Do you think that matters ? I only watched benchmarks so I don't know much about the difference between them when multitask.

That's enough to cripple your i5. Take it from me, I do the same. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

9 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

That's enough to cripple your i5. Take it from me, I do the same. 

I'm doing that with my fx6300 right now. I don't see any problem with it. Shouldn't the i5 be much better ? 

24 minutes ago, Tai Tran said:

I'm doing that with my fx6300 right now. I don't see any problem with it. Shouldn't the i5 be much better ? 

My mistake, I didn't consider your gpu. But after checking your profile and seeing that you only have a 280. Then an i5 is fine for that. 

Still, if you want to have at least 10 chrome tabs, hosting a skype call. Have some program open. And watching a video at the same time. i7 > i5.