PCPer talks to Ashes of the Singularity Dev

Points that were interesting to me:

• Dan Baker expressed frustration about too many engines focusing on shooters which are not even the majority genre on PC, and engines built for shooters have very high overhead for other genres (I'm a huge shooter fan and don't really play RTS, but this is a very good point. People like me are not the majority). A lot of people were accusing them of making their game favor AMD hardware, but it turns out they gravitated towards AMD because they had tools that met their needs. This could also mean that the performance increases AMD is enjoying in Ashes might not necessarily carry over to other dx 12 engines that are built for a different purpose.
  • Steam is apparently investing a lot in Vulkan and SteamOS might not necessarily be as DOA as we originally thought. Only time will tell though.
  • There might still be hope that the Win 10 store will get better????

Discuss

Or dont. We live in a democracy (at least I hope you do if you're not from Murica)

Just realized this might not necessarily be the right place for this post. If it isn't please move to right place.

Edited by ivan134

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

2 minutes ago, max_headroom said:

Shooters bring in more money to both software and hardware companies.

Not on PC, at least not in the last 2 years. While CSGO and TF2 make a lot of money,I doubt that they made more than all the non shooter AAA games that came out in the last 2 years, Dota 2, Hearthstone or even what League of Legends makes from skins alone.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

4 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Not on PC, at least not in the last 2 years. While CSGO and TF2 make a lot of money,I doubt that they made more than all the non shooter AAA games that came out in the last 2 years, Dota 2, Hearthstone or even what League of Legends makes from skins alone.

It would be nice to see a full break down statistics.  Shooters also sell a ton of DLCs.  Heck, EA makes more than double on DLC sales (not necessarily from shooters) than actual games they sell.

Besides, most RTS are more cpu intensive than shooters which are the other way around.  I say this because this topic is in the gpu section.  Frames per second is everything in shooters where it may not necessarily be for RTS.

4 minutes ago, max_headroom said:

It would be nice to see a full break down statistics.  Shooters also sell a ton of DLCs.  Heck, EA makes more than double on DLC sales (not necessarily from shooters) than actual games they sell.

Besides, most RTS are more cpu intensive than shooters which are the other way around.  I say this because this topic is in the gpu section.  Frames per second is everything in shooters where it may not necessarily be for RTS.

Yea, that was the pointed he was getting at, and was the main reason for them to not only develop their own engine from scratch, but go full in on the new APIs at a much faster rate than what we've come to expect. The results were amazing. An i3 was keeping up with an i7 in Ashes of the Singularity when run in dx 12 mode. That's unheard of in an RTS.

18 minutes ago, max_headroom said:

Shooters bring in more money to both software and hardware companies.

Look at games such as Witcher 3, GTA V and XCOM2

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

5 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Look at games such as Witcher 3, GTA V and XCOM2

Like I mentioned before, I would like to see a table with all the sales and profits tallied.

The games you mentioned only sell about every 5 - 7 years.  Shooters like Call of Duty and Battlefield get released more often and also have tons of maps and DLC that generate a lot of money.  Even PC gamers spend money as they fall into the different colored gun foolishness as console boys :D

Regardless.  I am glad to see we're getting somewhere.

10 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

An i3 was keeping up with an i7 in Ashes of the Singularity when run in dx 12 mode. That's unheard of in an RTS.

You know Intel won't be so happy about that.  Heck, they're also blocking over clocking on many of the chips they sell.

Just now, max_headroom said:

Like I mentioned before, I would like to see a table with all the sales and profits tallied.

The games you mentioned only sell about every 5 - 7 years.  Shooters like Call of Duty and Battlefield get released more often and also have tons of maps and DLC that generate a lot of money.  Even PC gamers spend money as they fall into the different colored gun foolishness as console boys :D

I don't regard CoD or BF as PC games - I don't even regard them as games really. They are bait for the gullible and cash cows for the 12-year-olds who like screaming racial and sexists slurs all day

Just now, max_headroom said:

You know Intel won't be so happy about that.  Heck, they're also blocking over clocking on many of the chips they sell.

Even worse - 8350 is keeping up in DX12

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, max_headroom said:

COD hasnt sold much on PC since the MW2 debacle. BF is just about it.

5 minutes ago, max_headroom said:

And that's the way I like it. Intel can fuck off. Also, if I were up and coming MMO dev, I would be jumping on these new APIs. LoL, CSGO and TF2 make so much money because they can run on a potato, but your average MMO is hard to run even on high end rigs while turning down the graphics to looks like playstation.