i7 4790K CPU temperature 80C safe?

Hi guys,

Just installed a new i7 4790K 4.0ghz CPU and a bit worried over temperatures.

Its around 40c whilst idle and general web browsing, but during gaming the maximum it reached was almost 80c.

Is this safe? or should i be worried? 

Just now, DawnMoon said:

Hi guys,

Its around 40c whilst idle and general web browsing, but during gaming the maximum it reached was almost 80c.

overclocked? what cooler?

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

What cooler do you have on it and how far have you pushed it as far as overclocking goes? because 40°C at idle seems quite high for something like an AIO or big tower cooler.

1 minute ago, SeanAngelo said:

overclocked? what cooler?

Akasa Venom Voodoo CPU Cooler

I believe it's overclocked at 4.3, still havent had much time to play around with it.

Considering you are air cooling and the CPU is overclocked this is nothing to worry about, the temps would definitely drop with watercooling

5 minutes ago, DawnMoon said:
1 minute ago, DawnMoon said:

I believe it's overclocked at 4.3, still havent had much time to play around with it.

Hi guys,

80C is abnormally high but not going to damage anything. I would tune it down to stock and see if it makes a difference if you're worried.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

1 minute ago, DawnMoon said:

With a cooler that size and at that speed I'd say that what you have is to be expected. It looks like it would be slightly more proficient at cooling than a Hyper 212, so... with a hyperthreaded quad-core at that speed, I'd say that's probably about as far as you should be pushing it, assuming that you applied your thermal paste properly (Disregard the video Slick made - he wasn't testing it with a particularly hot part to begin with. The results he got with that cooler and CPU combo would never have flown if he were using something like a Q6600 and a Xigmatek Janus)

6 minutes ago, DawnMoon said:

so you didnt touch the bios for overclocking at all? its probably at stock then.

and get a better cooler if you want lower temps, but 80c is a bit high.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I think your CPU might be broekn..... I trade you for my A8-5600k, PLEASE!

28 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

80C is abnormally high but not going to damage anything. I would tune it down to stock and see if it makes a difference if you're worried.

I dont think I did.

I mean when I monitor it with CPU Z the clock speeds tend to change all the time from 800mhz all the way to 4400mhz. 

I don't really need it to go that high and rather it not, but I donno why it does that.

33 minutes ago, KemoKa said:

With a cooler that size and at that speed I'd say that what you have is to be expected. It looks like it would be slightly more proficient at cooling than a Hyper 212, so... with a hyperthreaded quad-core at that speed, I'd say that's probably about as far as you should be pushing it, assuming that you applied your thermal paste properly (Disregard the video Slick made - he wasn't testing it with a particularly hot part to begin with. The results he got with that cooler and CPU combo would never have flown if he were using something like a Q6600 and a Xigmatek Janus)

I put a pretty thin layer of thermal paste which I assume is the correct way?

Just now, DawnMoon said:

I put a pretty thin layer of thermal paste which I assume is the correct way?

You really don't want to spread it, regardless of what people tell you about how it doesn't matter. Apply a pea-sized blob of paste in the center of the heat spreader, and attach the heatsink to the board - the pressure of the heatsink will do all the spreading for you and it will prevent the formation of air bubbles - which is what happens when you spread the paste, it forms uneven patches and bubbles which prevent the flow of heat.

This is in my opinion the best guide for installing thermal paste.