Water Cooling for Beginner

Im new at liquid cooling, ive ran AIO coolers for about 3 years now, and i love it! Im making a new case very soon, just sold desktop and soon will be ordering parts for the new build. But the theme im going with is White/Black and i was thinking, "how cool would it be to have a custom liquid cooling with White coolant? Im getting the Fractal Design Define S case which has room for current AIO coolers, and also future Custom loops. Im only interested in cooling the CPU so there wouldnt be too much to cool, but if i can get all the parts for around 80-90 USD that would be awesome! and also, if you can list the cons of custom loops other than it takes patience, any tips would be appreciated :)

you're going to spend waaaaaaaaaaaay more than 90 dollars for a custom loop

more like 300+ tbh

I'd get the ek kit 360, which comes with everything you need for a CPU loop

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-kit-x360

Although, it's a waste if you're just doing the cpu. It depends on which GPU you have, but most have waterblocks available. definitely add it into your loop.

keep in mind that the more blocks, the more cost

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Just now, shadowbyte said:

more like 300+ tbh

Although, it's a waste if you're just doing the cpu. It depends on which GPU you have, but most have waterblocks available. definitely add it into your loop.

It might be a waste to just do the CPU yes, but i dont have a powerful GPU or as high of TDP (around 65-70 max load) since im only running a mid range card. But i just thought it would be interesting to start somewhere, and with a custom loop, i can always add in a block if i get a more powerful GPU right?

Just now, ZeusXI said:

It might be a waste to just do the CPU yes, but i dont have a powerful GPU or as high of TDP (around 65-70 max load) since im only running a mid range card. But i just thought it would be interesting to start somewhere, and with a custom loop, i can always add in a block if i get a more powerful GPU right?

yes. You can always add in a GPU. 

btw, what CPU are you planning on cooling?

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Polaroid Spectra System

1 minute ago, ZeusXI said:

yes you can. all you need to do is expand the amount of tubing then to include the gpu block.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

yes. You can always add in a GPU. 

btw, what CPU are you planning on cooling?

i7-4790k. OC but not sure to how much yet

Just now, ZeusXI said:

i7-4790k. OC but not sure to how much yet

alright.

you can expect good temps with that OC. Of course, it's an entry into the silicon lottery, so you may get a great overclock, or a shitty one. 

Polaroid Spectra System

alright.

you can expect good temps with that OC. Of course, it's an entry into the silicon lottery, so you may get a great overclock, or a shitty one. 

I agree. So why not learn to make a custom loop for just the CPU now, and come back when GPU go down in price with the new Arc's coming out, and then ask a GPU loop idea included into the current loop

8 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

more like 300+ tbh

they do it for under 100$ apparently. But i was thinking no curves in the loop, but straight lines? that way its a bit more precise with everything and looks better

Just now, ZeusXI said:

they do it for under 100$ apparently. But i was thinking no curves in the loop, but straight lines? that way its a bit more precise with everything and looks better

they used dual corsair AIO's ghetto rigged together. 

It sounds like you want hardline tubing. It's more difficult to work with, but it produces stunning results if done well.

Polaroid Spectra System

they used dual corsair AIO's ghetto rigged together. 

It sounds like you want hardline tubing. It's more difficult to work with, but it produces stunning results if done well.

That what i want to try. might be harder yes, but i like a challenge :) and worse case, i can have my friend come over and help with everything. He loves to do stuff like this

I have the 4790k and I get 4.8GHz on a corsair H60 with really good temps around 25-35C depending on the day so your OC should get you a decent OC even if you havent won the silicon lottery

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Depending on what exactly you want to include, the absolute biggest con of water cooling is the cost. Even if you are just doing a tiny CPU loop for looks, you are going to spend way more than $90. I have 2 radiators and the SCREWS FOR THE FANS cost $75 incl shipping. That's an extreme example, but it's indicative of the money pit you are stumbling in to. Fans, fittings, screws, tubing, pump, res, water block, you're looking at a minimum of $200 for just the CPU. That's all assuming you already have a PSU that can power it and a case that can mount everything.

Spoiler

i7-4790:ASUS Maximus VII Formula:16GB AMD 2133MHz DDR3:Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2:Intel 730 Series 240GB SSD:WD Black 3TB HDD:Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W PSU:Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper Full Tower:Logitech G510S Keyboard:Logitech G500 Mouse: Sennheiser Game One Headset:Bose Lifestyle T20 Surround:Acer XR341CK Primary Display:Samsung U28D590D Secondary Display

3dMark: Extreme http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7819156 Standard http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7819132

Just now, SirDerpsALot said:

Depending on what exactly you want to include, the absolute biggest con of water cooling is the cost. Even if you are just doing a tiny CPU loop for looks, you are going to spend way more than $90. I have 2 radiators and the SCREWS FOR THE FANS cost $75 incl shipping. That's an extreme example, but it's indicative of the money pit you are stumbling in to. Fans, fittings, screws, tubing, pump, res, water block, you're looking at a minimum of $200 for just the CPU. That's all assuming you already have a PSU that can power it and a case that can mount everything.

I got a 650watt PSU along with the Define S which is ment for liquid cooling for current for future upgrades.