5 Biggest Mistakes Elders have made with Tech

We've all got older parents/grandparents, right?

If yours are like mine, they'll definitely need some help with using a computer or even a phone.

Here's 5 mistakes my grandparents have made.

5. Accidentally sending the wrong thing to someone on a mobile phone.

Here's actually a funny story. My grandma was planning a reunion of some form for her school group and needed to send someone a text message. After my dad spending a while teaching her how to open the text messaging app and start a new conversation, my grandma just sends 'Ho' to this woman. It would definitely shock me if I got a text message that just said that!

4. Buying a computer that has too much power for their needs, meaning it's expensive.

Okay, so my nan had an Acer Aspire Windows XP laptop. You can understand she wanted to upgrade. It had like 1GB RAM and a Celeron processor. So my dad and I spent hours on electronics retailer's sites working out which laptop would be a good fit for her. After a while, we went into a store and started talking to a salesman. Now, all my nan does on her computer is web browsing, email and Word. She didn't need this computer. It had 8GB RAM and a 1TB HDD, keeping in mind that my nan has like less than 5GB of files in total.

3. Giving a computer-illiterate person a mobile phone.

Okay, so my grandma had been harping on about getting a mobile phone. My dad, doing the right thing, bought her a $2 Virgin SIM and gave her one of his old phones. These are brick phones so you can understand where I come from. After her complaining she couldn't type properly on it, my dad went and bought her one of those cheap $50 phones locked to a network. It was just something that she could use for emergencies and texting. After using it for a while, she was saying that maybe she should switch back to the old phone. You can understand how frustrating this was.

2. Leaving the phone off the hook.

Most people get worried when their parents/grandparents don't answer the phone. In this case it was for the stupidest reason; they had left the phone off the hook. They have a Telstra-provided handset (yes, I live in Australia and yes, my grandparents are with Telstra) and it works fine. They have a wireless handset so they can talk away from the actual phone but this was funny. My mum was getting a bit worried that they weren't answering their phone but it was after we gave them a mobile phone so my mum was able to correct the issue.

1. Buying the same brand of a product that didn't work.

This one frustrated my dad the most. So my nan used a HP printer and it was definitely acting its age. It started to be stupid and sometimes wouldn't print so my dad told my nan that she will need a new printer. We didn't see her for like a month and then, out of the blue, we go over to her house and she starts saying that she bought a new printer. After my dad asked my nan what printer she bought, she replied with 'I bought a HP'. This frustrated my dad so much. 

That's 5 mistakes my grandparents have made, let me know what your's have made.

Oh and one more, my nan got a virus from clicking in an email. Saved the stupidest till last :P

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

Basically this:  

"CLICK HERE FOR A FREE IPAD AIR 2"

And then wondering why there's cryptolocker on their computer.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

Well, I do get the "videogames cause the violence" thing a bit. Also, not ending a call, not locking the phone before putting it back in the pocket

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

I sell electronics to old people. It's not the lack of understanding of electronics, it's the lack of common sense the majority of time.

"I think somebody hacked my facebook, can you help me reset my password?"
"Sure, and you can also have Facebook log out all of the connected devices to kick out unwanted users if you would like to."

"No thank you, I don't want to have to log back in."

"Don't come back for help."

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

15 minutes ago, Suika said:

I sell electronics to old people. It's not the lack of understanding of electronics, it's the lack of common sense the majority of time.

"I think somebody hacked my facebook, can you help me reset my password?"
"Sure, and you can also have Facebook log out all of the connected devices to kick out unwanted users if you would like to."

"No thank you, I don't want to have to log back in."

"Don't come back for help."

I hope they know that resetting the password might kick out all of their other devices.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

7 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I hope they know that resetting the password might kick out all of their other devices.

will kick them out, last I checked.

Some people are just so stupid it hurts me.

I used to be quite active here.

4 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

will kick them out, last I checked.

Some people are just so stupid it hurts me.

I'm not 100% sure. The behavior might be different on phones.

I tested it just now. When you change your password, you have the option to sign out of your other devices, but you can choose to leave them signed in.

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I'm surprised that Godly hasn't merged this with Experience with non-techies yet. Only elder I have contact with is my grandma. Doesn't use tech besides her TV and a DVD player. She gets around those just fine

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!