Do I need a network card for Ethernet?

ItWasEnder

I have a custom gaming pc I just build and I was wondering if i needed a network card to connect an ethernet cable. So i tried it, but when i hooked it all but I still didn't have internet. The cable I used could possible be broken but that's the only cable in the house. Should I just buy a wireless USB adapter?

Motherboard:

MSI Gaming-3 Z97

Your motherboard should have an ethernet port built into it.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

1 minute ago, EnderGaming said:

I have a custom gaming pc I just build and I was wondering if i needed a network card to connect an ethernet cable. So i tried it, but when i hooked it all but I still didn't have internet. The cable I used could possible be broken but that's the only cable in the house. Should I just buy a wireless USB adapter?

Motherboard:

MSI Gaming-3 Z97

no your motherboard supports ethernet

Are you plugging your Ethernet cable into your motherboard?

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

1 minute ago, Inception9269 said:

Your motherboard should have an ethernet port built into it.

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

no your motherboard supports ethernet

Just now, Luc401 said:

Are you plugging your Ethernet cable into your motherboard?

I plugged my motherboard into my router and got no internet "signal"

your motherboard has an onboard (usually Intel) NIC (network interface card) onboard already. This means that you will usually have one (sometimes two) ethernet ports on your motherboard. You have to check your specs. If, for whatever reason, you need another one, then you need to buy a separate card.

Try plugging your ethernet directly into the one on your motherboard.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 1600 MHz Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Case: NZXT H440 White 

2 minutes ago, MarcelKapono said:

your motherboard has an onboard (usually Intel) NIC (network interface card) onboard already. This means that you will usually have one (sometimes two) ethernet ports on your motherboard. You have to check your specs. If, for whatever reason, you need another one, then you need to buy a separate card.

Try plugging your ethernet directly into the one on your motherboard.

I did 

Just now, EnderGaming said:

I did 

maybe check your router? It might be a network issue.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 1600 MHz Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Case: NZXT H440 White 

3 minutes ago, EnderGaming said:

Can you take pictures

2 minutes ago, EnderGaming said:

download the driver from the msi website:

https://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-3.html#down-bios

I5 4470     -     Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo    -    Asus Strix GTX960    -    12Gb ram    -    Adata SP600 128Gb    -    Seagate 2Tb    -    AsRock Fatal1ty B85 Killer    -    Seasonic M12II EVO 520        

IN WIN 703    -     Dell P2414H    -    LG Flatron M197WDP    -    CMSTORM Quickfire XT with MX blue's    -    Logitech  G502

"To finish first, you first have to finish"

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

Can you take pictures

no not really, dont have a phone

3 minutes ago, spark12072001 said:

how do i install drivers?

4 minutes ago, MarcelKapono said:

maybe check your router? It might be a network issue.

i'll plug the cable to my laptop see if it works, it may be the drivers... MOBO came with CD (don't have optical drive)

4 minutes ago, EnderGaming said:

camera?

i'll plug the cable to my laptop see if it works, it may be the drivers... MOBO came with CD (don't have optical drive)

Download the drivers on a different pc or laptop, put them on a USB drive, go to your pc, plug it in and instal the drivers

I5 4470     -     Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo    -    Asus Strix GTX960    -    12Gb ram    -    Adata SP600 128Gb    -    Seagate 2Tb    -    AsRock Fatal1ty B85 Killer    -    Seasonic M12II EVO 520        

IN WIN 703    -     Dell P2414H    -    LG Flatron M197WDP    -    CMSTORM Quickfire XT with MX blue's    -    Logitech  G502

"To finish first, you first have to finish"

6 minutes ago, EnderGaming said:

No internet

uhhhhh.... you need to download the ethernet driver from MSI website.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

2 minutes ago, EnderGaming said:

Just download it from the CD with your mobo box. If you dont have a CD reader then put it in another computer and transfer ti to a USB. Then after you install, go to the website to get new drivers.

2 minutes ago, adamhouse9999 said:

camera?

nope, have a laptop cam but difficult to take picturs with

6 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

uhhhhh.... you need to download the ethernet driver from MSI website.

?

7 minutes ago, adamhouse9999 said:

camera?

My pc isn't connected to my router anymore, its back downstairs...

11 minutes ago, EnderGaming said:

Download the Drivers from here (https://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-3.html#down-driver&Win10%2064). place them onto a USB drive and install on your new computer. Each will require you to unzip the file to get access to the install wizard of the driver. Also if you need more help on how to install a driver give YouTube a try.

14 minutes ago, EnderGaming said:

im curious but how do you have a custom PC but not a phone?

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

3 minutes ago, EnderGaming said:

?

https://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-3.html#down-driver&Win10 64

4th one down and download it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

1 minute ago, EnderGaming said:

My pc isn't connected to my router anymore, its back downstairs...

you can get a  set of devices that plugs into a power socket near your pc and downstairs that allows you to use ethernet through the power in the wall

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0084Y9N3O/ref=s9_top_hd_bw_bT8eUh_g147_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=1MG0FVED24BWY1JPXG89&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=662742707&pf_rd_i=430576031

8 minutes ago, deansmylie1993 said:

Download the Drivers from here (https://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-3.html#down-driver&Win10%2064). place them onto a USB drive and install on your new computer. Each will require you to unzip the file to get access to the install wizard of the driver. Also if you need more help on how to install a driver give YouTube a try.

im curious but how do you have a custom PC but not a phone?

it was stolen back in arizona 2 days before i moved :/

5 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

is it fine for win 10 when im running 8.1 64x?

https://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-3.html#down-driver&Win8.1 64

it was stolen back in arizona 2 days before i moved :/

is it fine for win 10 when im running 8.1 64x?

no, change the driver dropdown to windows 8.1 64....

Old Rig