580 SLI bridge not recognized?

Tiso
Go to solution Solved by Tiso,

Got new bridge. reinstalled drivers and it's working now :) 

Hey guys,
today i have installed my EVGA gtx 580's into my PC (my 1st sli affair). All well and good unitl i slapped sli bridge onto them.
Cards are recognized by system , nVidia control panel and cpu-z... But when i go to control panel (nVidia) sli options are greyed out and it says that i should conn. card with sli bridge...

what is the problem?

please help im clueless!

sli.PNG

1 minute ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Did you put the SLI bridge on?

yes. ofc i did.
i tried putting it on 1st finger and on 2nd finger... nothing.

Just now, Tiso said:

yes. ofc i did.
i tried putting it on 1st finger and on 2nd finger... nothing.

Okay, does your motherboard support SLI? Does your CPU have enough PCI-E lanes to support SLI? is it possible your SLI Bridge is damaged?

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

What motherboard are you currently using? What does the translation of the text with the Caution icon next to it say?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Okay, does your motherboard support SLI? Does your CPU have enough PCI-E lanes to support SLI? is it possible your SLI Bridge is damaged?

My mobo does support SLI as it's written on it. ( its Gigabyte P55A-UD4) and cpu is i5-760...

hmm... i have just recieved SLI bridge(new).. but it was from ebay..

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What motherboard are you currently using? What does the translation of the text with the Caution icon next to it say?

Gigabyte p55a-ud4 ---> the translation says "for maximum 3d performance connect sli brige"

You CPU supports 1x16 or 2x8 pcie lanes. How many PCI lanes are populated?

MSI Nightblade MI2

CPU: Intel i7 6700. Motherboard: MSI B060. RAM: 16GB HyperX Impact. GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 970. Case: Nightblade MI2. Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue, OCZ 120GB and 125GB M.2. PSU: Custom 350w Bronze. Display(s): BenQ 24" & 50" Samsung TV. Keyboard: Logitech G15. Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution. Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Just now, Ruhel said:

You CPU supports 1x16 or 2x8 pcie lanes. How many PCI lanes are populated?

two. both by 580's

2 minutes ago, Tiso said:

two. both by 580's

Found on TomsHardware site:

If both adapters show in device manager and are the only pieces of hardware in pci slots I would uninstall all nvidia drivers and software. I would remove the sli bridge and reboot. Reload all the drivers from scratch and see if both cards show up in the nvidia control panel. If they do, shutdown and install the sli bridge. When you start back up you should be able to enable sli.

MSI Nightblade MI2

CPU: Intel i7 6700. Motherboard: MSI B060. RAM: 16GB HyperX Impact. GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 970. Case: Nightblade MI2. Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue, OCZ 120GB and 125GB M.2. PSU: Custom 350w Bronze. Display(s): BenQ 24" & 50" Samsung TV. Keyboard: Logitech G15. Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution. Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

2 minutes ago, Tiso said:

two. both by 580's

The board definitely supports SLI.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, Tiso said:

two. both by 580's

P_20160305_212841[1].jpg

1 minute ago, Ruhel said:

Found on TomsHardware site:

i did clean Windows install w/o sli bridge. installed nVidia drivers in safe mode and then connected them with the bridge.

Try pulling the bridge out slightly. Sometimes it is not recognized when plugged all the way in.

6 minutes ago, Tiso said:

i did clean Windows install w/o sli bridge. installed nVidia drivers in safe mode and then connected them with the bridge.

Are you using PCI slots 1 & 2?

MSI Nightblade MI2

does the bios version matter? one has 70.10.20.00.80 and the other has 70.10.60.00.82 (says on the sticker on pcb of the card)

well i only have 2 slots that cards fit in..

1 minute ago, Tiso said:

well i only have 2 slots that cards fit in..

Cool

MSI Nightblade MI2

Wiggle the bridge around abit, they're abit finicky, when I ran my 550ti sli rig I had to have the bridge about half way off the fingers and tilted as far to the right as possible.

Intel i7 4790k | Corsair H110i GTX | MSI Z97S Krait | 16GB HyperX Fury | ASUS Strix GTX 970 | Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB Hybrid SSHD | WD 3TB Green | Corsair TX750M | 

Corsair Graphite 760t White | 3x AOC i2267Fwh 21.5 inch IPS Monitor 1080p | Corsair Raptor k50 RGB | Logitech G500 | Blue Snowball

6 minutes ago, Tiso said:

does the bios version matter? one has 70.10.20.00.80 and the other has 70.10.60.00.82 (says on the sticker on pcb of the card)

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/469402/

- BIOS Version
-- You can use as many different BIOS versions between the cards you have in SLI as you like.

MSI Nightblade MI2

6 minutes ago, Canio22 said:

Wiggle the bridge around abit, they're abit finicky, when I ran my 550ti sli rig I had to have the bridge about half way off the fingers and tilted as far to the right as possible.

if i wiggle it around , should i see change in control panel as it gets detected? in real time. w/o refreshing or smh

1 minute ago, Tiso said:

if i wiggle it around , should i see change in control panel as it gets detected? in real time. w/o refreshing or smh

IMO I wouldn't wiggle something in my computer when it is powered on. I would power down and re position. 

MSI Nightblade MI2

I had to restart to get SLI to be recognised but pulling it half way got that to be detected, but then after enabling SLI I had colour issues with my screens, causing them to have a purple hue, then while the system was on I moved it around until the colours went back to normal.

Intel i7 4790k | Corsair H110i GTX | MSI Z97S Krait | 16GB HyperX Fury | ASUS Strix GTX 970 | Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB Hybrid SSHD | WD 3TB Green | Corsair TX750M | 

Corsair Graphite 760t White | 3x AOC i2267Fwh 21.5 inch IPS Monitor 1080p | Corsair Raptor k50 RGB | Logitech G500 | Blue Snowball

oh 1 more thing, i kinda forgot to mention... when i recieved my sli bridge in mail it was kinda bent (see Picture) is it possible that it had gotten damaged?

P_20160305_215443[1].jpg

Just now, Tiso said:

oh 1 more thing, i kinda forgot to mention... when i recieved my sli bridge in mail it was kinda bent (see Picture) is it possible that it had gotten damaged?

[photo removed]

The wire(s) may be broken(MAY). Ribbon cables aren't hard to break.