What sensor to use on Raspberry pi;

SirPaul

I saw few question about raspberry pi, so i put it here, if this topic should not be here, just tell me where, ill move it .

Hi guys,

I have a question, is it possible to mount ultrasonic sensor onto raspberry pi ?

Or rather, i know its possible, but if can someone recommend me what i need or some website for maybe tutorials on how to learn to add components (like how is called that mid-part  between raspberry and sensor .. like that white brick with holes :D);

also, What is better to use ultrasonic or infrared sensor, or what my scenario is : I need to check (just true or false statements) IF something is between sensor and wall.. sensor is from wal 1cm far.  so i need not very precise sensor, just so it can scan wheter there is any object or not. mostly it will be object like mobile phone size. so nothing small, like real object detection. but most of sensors i found was from 2cm to 500 cm. If someone can give me advice what to use and so. I am experienced with programming, just raspberry part is new to me.

Thanks, if any questions just ask, thanks :)

for what use is this?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

for what use is this?

for example to detect if something is in a box. but box has max 2 cm space inside.

I know that you can hook up ultrasonic sensors to and Aduino but idk abut RasPI there might be a breakout board for the I/O pins on Adafruit and by the way ultrasonic sensors can only see that there is an object (box) in front of it and the distance the sensor is from it not the space inside the box.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I know that you can hook up ultrasonic sensors to and Aduino but idk abut RasPI there might be a breakout board for the I/O pins on Adafruit and by the way ultrasonic sensors can only see that there is an object (box) in front of it and the distance the sensor is from it not the space inside the box.

Yea i thought about arduino, but thing is i need a bluetooth response IF something is in a box. so i would need to hook up bluetooth and some controller for that to the arduino, and dont knwo if it would be cheaper than rasperry, and/or efficient. if yes, iam going for it, but i dont know how much $ would it cost for arduino version to involve bluetooth, and programming a bluetooth respons eon arduino, can you advice me ?

Yea i thought about arduino, but thing is i need a bluetooth response IF something is in a box. so i would need to hook up bluetooth and some controller for that to the arduino, and dont knwo if it would be cheaper than rasperry, and/or efficient. if yes, iam going for it, but i dont know how much $ would it cost for arduino version to involve bluetooth, and programming a bluetooth respons eon arduino, can you advice me ?

That"s what xbee is for and I believe they make a usb receiver for pc and also good ultrasonic sensors are $20 you"ll find them for $5 all over the place and they're either scams or just complete junk.

That"s what xbee is for and I believe they make a usb receiver for pc and also good ultrasonic sensors are $20 you"ll find them for $5 all over the place and they're either scams or just complete junk.

aha so the xbee thing i plug into arduino ? i see, but what about programming, as i said, iam not familiar with programming arduinos, i know how to program, but what everything i need, i choose raspberry because i can program witihn linux. I tottally dont know how to imagine programming for arduino.. just how. I don't know, i think it would be contraproductive to change it for arduino :{ only if someone provide me with useful information and tells me that it is easy :D

You could also use a light sensor and a lamp. If something is between them, the light is blocked. Might be cheaper than an ultrasonic (of which I think the range starts outside ~3 cm) or a more expensive laser sensor.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

You could also use a light sensor and a lamp. If something is between them, the light is blocked. Might be cheaper than an ultrasonic (of which I think the range starts outside ~3 cm) or a more expensive laser sensor.

whoa thats great idea.. hmm

Edit: Eh, but i think not battery efficient, because lamp would need to light all the time.

Edit 2: Although , whatever type of sensor would need to run all the time.  maybe its different just because the lamp may burn out quickly, and would need replacement. hnn

A simple led uses virtually no electricity

okay and what about second statement as i said ->  lamp may burn out quickly, and would need replacement ?

LED have about 15000 hours of operation I believe

Good enough for consumer product ? If yes, iam going for it.

aha so the xbee thing i plug into arduino ? i see, but what about programming, as i said, iam not familiar with programming arduinos, i know how to program, but what everything i need, i choose raspberry because i can program witihn linux. I tottally dont know how to imagine programming for arduino.. just how. I don't know, i think it would be contraproductive to change it for arduino :{ only if someone provide me with useful information and tells me that it is easy :D

Yeah it's a shield and you can still use I/O pins as for programming install the arduino software (which is finally a self installer b/c windows 8 can't run unassigned drivers) they have many examples in the library that you can tweak to your fit also the arduino forms are extremely friendly (like this one) and people will help you with your code and the wiring of things. Also you may have to use some python to create a serial connection but I am unsure about this as I haven't really played around with Xbee. 

Good enough for consumer product ? If yes, iam going for it.

I have no idea what kind of requirements a consumer product has so I don't know, but since there are leds in virtually everything I guess it is.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

Yeah it's a shield and you can still use I/O pins as for programming install the arduino software (which is finally a self installer b/c windows 8 can't run unassigned drivers) they have many examples in the library that you can tweak to your fit also the arduino forms are extremely friendly (like this one) and people will help you with your code and the wiring of things. Also you may have to use some python to create a serial connection but I am unsure about this as I haven't really played around with Xbee. 

Yea so i looked at it, and i would choose arduino, but it need to be Under 50 € with all parts, so including xbee. Here in slovakia i found 3 shops where i can get it, but its like 50+ € just the for arduino itself.  :(  so raspberry then seems as cheaper solution.

Yea so i looked at it, and i would choose arduino, but it need to be Under 50 € with all parts, so including xbee. Here in slovakia i found 3 shops where i can get it, but its like 50+ € just the for arduino itself.  :(  so raspberry then seems as cheaper solution.

Edit: Although, i must say there are multiple kinds of ardino, so i dont know which one to pick, maybe there will be some cheaper without parts i dont need.

Still thinking that raspberry would be easier to code on .

Edit: Although, i must say there are multiple kinds of ardino, so i dont know which one to pick, maybe there will be some cheaper without parts i dont need.

Still thinking that raspberry would be easier to code on .

You can pick up and Arduino Uno clone for fairly cheap.

for example to detect if something is in a box. but box has max 2 cm space inside.

It's seems possible, if you messed around with the leapmotion's SDK, Btw when i first read this i though you were making a Bomb D:

Building a PC: check it out here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1qvon

You can pick up and Arduino Uno clone for fairly cheap.

Hmm, yea Arduino uno seems like a good choice, i must check how hard can it be to program Xbee to send String over bluetooth IF something is in a box.

Hmm, yea Arduino uno seems like a good choice, i must check how hard can it be to program Xbee to send String over bluetooth IF something is in a box.

There are many examples of code on the internet and c/c++ can be modified easy without tings breaking like java. I remember a little bit of embedded c/c++ so I'd be happy to help with what I can.

There are many examples of code on the internet and c/c++ can be modified easy without tings breaking like java. I remember a little bit of embedded c/c++ so I'd be happy to help with what I can.

well, thank you very much, friend :) i appreciate your help. I'll post my decision later in a thread, if i went with arduino or rasp.   :)