SteamVR Performance Test Accuracy

I've done the SteamVR Test, and I know that my rig have a huge bottleneck in there, but the software from Valve recomends me to upgrade GPU ??

CPU isn't actually taking full advantage of the GPU , but is my old man recomended ?? An old platform with a huge FSB bottleneck...

Q9550 @ 3.2Ghz

R9 280X Vapor-X 3GB GDDR5

8GB RAM

500GB HDD 7200 RPM 32Mb Cache

P5G41-M LX ASUS

XFX TS 650W 80Plus Bronze

Zalman CNPS9700 LED

And btw i have an i7 960 laying around my house, but mobo's for that chip is 200€+ on Ebay...

Is it worth ? I'm planning to OC pretty bad so....

What do you think ? Do I put my money in a X58 Platform or  Z97 ??

SteamVR.png

If you can, get that Q9550 to at least 3.6GHz and run it again, that's about the point that you could should easily run your 280X without bottlenecking. With higher end GPU its 4GHz and 4.4GHz respectively (mostly achieved on Xeons through a socket mod though).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

It doesn't test your system overall, it tests your system that if it fits the SteamVR requirements, as it doesn't need a particularly powerful CPU and is mostly GPU dependent, it told you to upgrade your GPU, that's a possiblity

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

7 hours ago, GSTARR said:

I assume you have the new drivers installed..?

Crimson 16.2

7 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

If you can, get that Q9550 to at least 3.6GHz and run it again, that's about the point that you could should easily run your 280X without bottlenecking. With higher end GPU its 4GHz and 4.4GHz respectively (mostly achieved on Xeons through a socket mod though).

If I could, I already had reached that frequency :(  my chipset isn't meant for OC, and I'm lucky to achieve 8.5x381 on this guy

7 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It doesn't test your system overall, it tests your system that if it fits the SteamVR requirements, as it doesn't need a particularly powerful CPU and is mostly GPU dependent, it told you to upgrade your GPU, that's a possiblity

But for example, if I had an x58 mobo for the i7 960 the score in the GPu will be diferent.... But the question isn't only about the SteamVR, but also if I buy old hardware instead of upgrading do Haswell, cause I only need the mobo for the i7, but they're too expensive (+/- 200€) while if I go to Haswell, wich I need z97 mobo (+/- 150€) + CPU ( i5 4670k) almost 400€...