Overclock questions

Hey all,

I have an M5a97 LE R2.0 and an FX 6300

I've been told that I should not over clock on this board and I'm curious as to why (that was not really explained) as I have seen guides on how to OC with these exact parts.

Second thing, is the AI Suite 'EZ Overclock' function good at all? The 1 button overclock. I didn't want to test it and have it go belly up right fast, haha.

5 minutes ago, Mikius10001 said:

Hey all,

I have an M5a97 LE R2.0 and an FX 6300

I've been told that I should not over clock on this board and I'm curious as to why (that was not really explained) as I have seen guides on how to OC with these exact parts.

Second thing, is the AI Suite 'EZ Overclock' function good at all? The 1 button overclock. I didn't want to test it and have it go belly up right fast, haha.

Coming from a guy that owns an overclocked 4350,and the upgraded version of yor MOBO,I can safely say that overclocking,while it can work as high as like,3%,will damage your mobo and will crash often.This is due to the fact that A)Your motherboard doesnt have heatsinks on the VRMs and the mosfets to keep them inline so can have stable overclocks and B)I think your MOBO has a 4+1 phase plan which is definataly not enough for overclocking(you need a 4+2 atleast.)

Shark Rampage V: AMD FX-4350 @ 4.5GHz(1.404 Volts) / Hyper 212 Evo / Gigabyte 750Ti (1405MHz Core,3200MHz Memory @ stock voltage) / Kington HyperX Fury 8 Gigs 1866MHz Dual channel / ASUS M5A97 R2.0 / WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM / 850Evo 250GB / XFX TS 550w 80+ Bronze Sharkoon VG4-W

What SirDucksallot said.  It does not have anyway to cool the vrms and they will get too hot if you try and could possibly pop one.  Running the chip at stock will still heat up those vrms but should be fine but once you start trying to overclock the chip will start pulling watts a lot higher then the motherboard can handle.   The board is a good entry level board but if your wanting to get into overclocking looking into getting a good midrange or high end board is the way to go as they have the power delivery systems to handle the power the chips will pull once you start pushing more voltage through the chip which increases its wattage.

And about your question about one button overclocks, avoid them like the plague. They put too much voltage through the cpu for the clock speed it sets. Best to avoid it.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB