Can you overclock the X4 845?

Go to solution Solved by dragoon20005,

without the K at the back of the 845

it means this CPU cannot be OCed

it only a 65W CPU with a 45W mode

The Athlon X4 845 is based on amd's excavator architecture. Excavator has a better ipc performance to the previous steamroller(kaveri). But can you overclock it. I can't find anything that says you can or can't overclock them.

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

4 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

So in other words the 845 is gimped over the older ones? Which can be overclocked to make up the IPC difference?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

So in other words the 845 is gimped over the older ones? Which can be overclocked to make up the IPC difference?

correct

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

45 minutes ago, SuperCookie78 said:

The Athlon X4 845 is based on amd's excavator architecture. Excavator has a better ipc performance to the previous steamroller(kaveri). But can you overclock it. I can't find anything that says you can or can't overclock them.

I'm fairly certain you can OC with the baseclock(FSB)

Edit: On HWBot someone has theirs clocked at 4.2Ghz(and its validated): http://hwbot.org/benchmark/cpu_frequency/rankings?hardwareTypeId=processor_4620&cores=4#start=0#interval=20

edit: If the above link doesn't work: http://hwbot.org/submission/3136415_flanker_cpu_frequency_athlon_x4_845_4218.06_mhz

28 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

isnt the k only on intel processors. I always though all AMD processors can be OC'd to some extent

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

The last couple generations of AMD stuff could all be overclocked by raising the FSB on a motherboard that supports the option. Most AMD CPUs were locked to their advertised multiplier with the exception of the 'Black Edition' models that were offered, that were sold as unlocked CPUs for overclocking. 

i7 6700k||Asus Z170-A||Powercolor R9 270X PCS+ 2GB||Bitfenix Prodigy M||16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4||Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD||Corsair CX850M power supply||Silverstone Tundra Series TD02-E AIO CPU cooling

45 minutes ago, DrM said:

isnt the k only on intel processors. I always though all AMD processors can be OC'd to some extent

the FX all can be overclocked

Athlon and certain A series CPU with the K skew can be OC

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/processors/desktop/athlon-cpu

those without the K are locked to the turbo clock or the lower wattage mode which is enabled in BIOS

On 3/3/2016 at 11:32 PM, dragoon20005 said:

I signed up to post here; am I so old at 33 that no one remembers overclocking before unlocked multipliers? I do not have one to test but as several people mentioned here you should be able to overclock using the FSB on AMD (AS ALWAYS). Has Intel's marketing and business practices really influenced this misinformation? I guess that it is their own fault for losing so much market share. 1591378.jpg