Microsoft to unify PC and Xbox One platforms

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/01/microsoft-to-unify-pc-and-xbox-one-platforms-ending-fixed-console-hardware

Apparently microsoft will link up the gaming platforms of PC and Xbox one stating “That is our focus going forward [by] building out a complete gaming ecosystem for Universal Windows Applications.”  

Will this mean we can game across platforms of multiplayer games? Backwards and forwards compatibility is also a theme of this article. 

“We can effectively feel a little bit more like what we see on PC where I can still go back and run my old Quake and Doom games, but then I can also see the best 4K games coming out. Hardware innovation continues and software takes advantage. I don’t have to jump generation and lose everything I played before.”

Very interesting imo.

Phil Spencer: I look at the work we’re doing on the platform as an enabler for us becoming relevant in PC gaming. I wouldn’t say our strategy is to unify, because when I hear ‘unify’ I worry a bit that people will interpret, my own teams included, ‘Hey, we just want to say a game is a game and all games should run everywhere.’

-Phil Spencer

Source

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

This will probably end up like the article posted earlier about the one game working better on Nvidia than AMD. Games will be optimized for Xbox and then barely run on PC. Just like any other crappy port. 

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

Didn't he tweet this (or someone else major in the Xbox Dept) a month ago? With the continuous updates to Xbox one it's pretty much starting to look like a low-mid range Windows machine. 

When it does get introduced it might start off as crappy ports but hopefully they have a way to 'flip a switch' in the settings when crossing platforms. Like it will lock at 1080/60 fps on console but unlocked on PC to max out settings. The only issue is, wouldn't that put a dent in their console sells? I know some friends that own Xboxs for just 2-3 games while using PC for the rest. I know not 100% of their consumers will buy a PC but a certain amount will be lost if they do allow true cross platforming.

AND! Will it apply to steam/origin/uplay purchases? Or only games from the Windows store????

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

48 minutes ago, NTF5252 said:

This will probably end up like the article posted earlier about the one game working better on Nvidia than AMD. Games will be optimized for Xbox and then barely run on PC. Just like any other crappy port. 

What he said, #windowshasnofuture

I just hope for no more crappy ports. Either way why not just stick to PC and simply make XB PC with certain hardware with W10 on top of it.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 8:47 AM, GeekJump said:

Didn't he tweet this (or someone else major in the Xbox Dept) a month ago? With the continuous updates to Xbox one it's pretty much starting to look like a low-mid range Windows machine. 

When it does get introduced it might start off as crappy ports but hopefully they have a way to 'flip a switch' in the settings when crossing platforms. Like it will lock at 1080/60 fps on console but unlocked on PC to max out settings. The only issue is, wouldn't that put a dent in their console sells? I know some friends that own Xboxs for just 2-3 games while using PC for the rest. I know not 100% of their consumers will buy a PC but a certain amount will be lost if they do allow true cross platforming.

AND! Will it apply to steam/origin/uplay purchases? Or only games from the Windows store????

this is only for games from the windows store as this is Microsoft's exclusive platform.

I'm just going to continue to not buy an Xbox and play any exclusives that strike my fancy on my PC via windows store.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

On 3/1/2016 at 10:17 AM, NTF5252 said:

For ports of current games. And I don't think this will happen (MS likes to flat out lie about their support for PC gaming) but if it's a newly developed game there's no reason for that to happen.

Just prepare for strange requirements like 16gb RAM minimum.

-------

Current Rig

-------

On 3/1/2016 at 6:17 PM, NTF5252 said:

Consoles run on AMD hardware.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

14 minutes ago, Nineshadow said:

Consoles run on AMD hardware.

Then maybe it works opisite to what I said. I do want it to work I'm just very sceptical.

17 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

For ports of current games. And I don't think this will happen (MS likes to flat out lie about their support for PC gaming) but if it's a newly developed game there's no reason for that to happen.

Just prepare for strange requirements like 16gb RAM minimum.

It's pretty much 8gb to run newer games as it is.

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

On 3/1/2016 at 11:17 AM, NTF5252 said:

crappy port. 

Better then no port

On 3/1/2016 at 11:47 AM, GeekJump said:

The only issue is, wouldn't that put a dent in their console sells?

Hardware sales are irrelevant to MS, they don't make money on hardware, if you buy software from them, they make money, regardless of what platform you play it on.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

5 minutes ago, Sharkyx1 said:

Hardware sales are irrelevant to MS, they don't make money on hardware, if you buy software from them, they make money, regardless of what platform you play it on.

I know what they do and don't make the dollar bills with sir.

But while they don't make money on consoles, they do on all the accessories for it (the elite is +$100 and constantly selling out). But either way, even the profits there are dwarfed by software sells. I even mentioned (idk here or the other 10 threads on this) that I don't mean a big dent, just a loss in sales.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)