What's your guys opinion on the RB Pi 3?

Title says it really I'm very excited to get my hands on one and see what that extra power can do 

Also good job on making it fit in rpi 2 cases :P

incase you don't know what the specs are click the spoiler below improvements in bold

Spoiler

Raspberry Pi 3 - Model B Technical Specification

• Broadcom BCM2387 chipset 
  • 1.2GHz Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A53
  • 802.11 bgn Wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.1(Bluetooth Classic and LE)
  • 1GB RAM
  • 64 Bit CPU
  • 4 x USB ports
  • 4 pole Stereo output and Composite video port
  • Full size HDMI
  • 10/100 BaseT Ethernet socketbr
  • CSI camera port for connecting the Raspberry Pi camera
  • DSI display port for connecting the Raspberry Pi touch screen display
  • Micro SD port for loading your operating system and storing data
  • Micro USB power source

I lurk a lot

It also needs a 2.5Amp input now.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Still no GigE ethernet? Dang. I'll get one to play around with, but I'll still use my ODroid C1+ for everything.

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

It also needs a 2.5Amp input now.

Using a micro USB is not a problem for me also you can power through the GPIO pins not that much of a big deal 

I lurk a lot

I like it. Might pick one up.

CPU: i3-8100 | Motherboard: ASRock Z370M-itx a/c | GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB AMP! Edition | RAM: Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 8GB | Storage: WD Blue 1TB HDD/ Crucial 240GB SSD | PSU: EVGA 750w G2 | Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S | OS: Windows 10 Home

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

Still no GigE ethernet? Dang. I'll get one to play around with, but I'll still use my ODroid C1+ for everything.

I don't think it really needs one normally I end up removing the Ethernet anyway coz it's so damn big when trying to do builds with it 

I lurk a lot

Just now, peej said:

I don't think it really needs one normally I end up removing the Ethernet anyway coz it's so damn big when trying to do builds with it 

With the lack of storage options I use network storage a lot for my ARM devices so being limited by the NIC is painful for me especially since almost every other device I own has a GigE port (the only non-RPi device without one is my ODroid U2, but it's so cute I forgive it).

-KuJoe

I do wish they would add on board storage. It would be nice if they came with noobs pre-installed.

CPU: i3-8100 | Motherboard: ASRock Z370M-itx a/c | GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB AMP! Edition | RAM: Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 8GB | Storage: WD Blue 1TB HDD/ Crucial 240GB SSD | PSU: EVGA 750w G2 | Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S | OS: Windows 10 Home

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

With the lack of storage options I use network storage a lot for my ARM devices so being limited by the NIC is painful for me especially since almost every other device I own has a GigE port (the only non-RPi device without one is my ODroid U2, but it's so cute I forgive it).

What are you storing on them lol also I know it's not perfect and uses a USB up but couldn't you get a Ethernet to USB 3.0 adapter if you really must have GigE? 

I lurk a lot

2 minutes ago, Chuck38 said:

I do wish they would add on board storage. It would be nice if they came with noobs pre-installed.

Not sure how that would work with putting other operating systems on? I've only ever used noobs to test if the board works out the mail :P

I lurk a lot

13 minutes ago, peej said:

Using a micro USB is not a problem for me also you can power through the GPIO pins not that much of a big deal 

you cant supply 2.5 amps from a USB computer port

you will always need a separate power supply now

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, peej said:

What are you storing on them lol also I know it's not perfect and uses a USB up but couldn't you get a Ethernet to USB 3.0 adapter if you really must have GigE? 

Movies, music, and ISOs mostly but faster storage would give me more options. For a minute there I thought you meant they had USB 3.0 ports, now that would be awesome! :D

6 minutes ago, Chuck38 said:

I wish they had eMMC storage like ODroid does and the Orange Pi have.

-KuJoe

22 minutes ago, peej said:

Title says it really I'm very excited to get my hands on one and see what that extra power can do 

Also good job on making it fit in rpi 2 cases :P

incase you don't know what the specs are click the spoiler below improvements in bold

Reveal hidden contents

Raspberry Pi 3 - Model B Technical Specification

• Broadcom BCM2387 chipset 
  • 1.2GHz Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A53
  • 802.11 bgn Wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.1(Bluetooth Classic and LE)
  • 1GB RAM
  • 64 Bit CPU
  • 4 x USB ports
  • 4 pole Stereo output and Composite video port
  • Full size HDMI
  • 10/100 BaseT Ethernet socketbr
  • CSI camera port for connecting the Raspberry Pi camera
  • DSI display port for connecting the Raspberry Pi touch screen display
  • Micro SD port for loading your operating system and storing data
  • Micro USB power source

I thought it was impressive for how small it is :P. You can do a lot with it.

10 minutes ago, Enderman said:

you cant supply 2.5 amps from a USB computer port

you will always need a separate power supply now

Yeah I know it's 5v 1.5A but like you said can always use a external power supply like an iPad charger 

I lurk a lot

I just ordered mine even though it's not in stock. Hopefully it gets here before my PINE64 so I can play with it. :)

-KuJoe

I kinda wish it had more RAM. Since it is a "full" 64 bit machine now it would be kind of cool to use it as a PC/thin client.

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

4 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I just ordered mine even though it's not in stock. Hopefully it gets here before my PINE64 so I can play with it. :)

Same I'm gunna be glued to the letter box again just got my pi zero today so can play with that while it comes 

I lurk a lot

1 hour ago, Sunshine1868 said:

I kinda wish it had more RAM. Since it is a "full" 64 bit machine now it would be kind of cool to use it as a PC/thin client.

I know it's desirable for 2GB of ram for Windows these days at least although it does have a Windows distro tailored to work with rpi a bit better 

I lurk a lot

1 hour ago, Sunshine1868 said:

You can use the RPi2 as a really good thin client. For a PC I would recommend the ODroid C1+ since it has a faster CPU and feels a lot better as a desktop replacement than the RPi2 (and probably the RPi3 since it has eMMC storage and a faster CPU than the RPi3 still).

If you want an even better option grab a Orange Pi Plus since it has a SATA port and onboard eMMC storage.

-KuJoe

Or this

Linked:

ODROID-XU4

* Samsung Exynos5422 Cortex™-A15 2Ghz and Cortex™-A7 Octa core CPUs
* Mali-T628 MP6(OpenGL ES 3.0/2.0/1.1 and OpenCL 1.1 Full profile)
* 2Gbyte LPDDR3 RAM PoP stacked
* eMMC5.0 HS400 Flash Storage
* 2 x USB 3.0 Host, 1 x USB 2.0 Host
* Gigabit Ethernet port
* HDMI 1.4a for display
* Size : 82 x 58 x 22 mm approx.(including cooling fan)

ESXi SysAdmin

50 minutes ago, .spider. said:

16 minutes ago, Sunshine1868 said:

Or this

Linked:

ODROID-XU4

* Samsung Exynos5422 Cortex™-A15 2Ghz and Cortex™-A7 Octa core CPUs
* Mali-T628 MP6(OpenGL ES 3.0/2.0/1.1 and OpenCL 1.1 Full profile)
* 2Gbyte LPDDR3 RAM PoP stacked
* eMMC5.0 HS400 Flash Storage
* 2 x USB 3.0 Host, 1 x USB 2.0 Host
* Gigabit Ethernet port
* HDMI 1.4a for display
* Size : 82 x 58 x 22 mm approx.(including cooling fan)

i get your point but how supported are they for homebrew softwear? can it run anything a raspberry pi can run? i like to stick with the raspberry pi because its well supported 

I lurk a lot

6 minutes ago, peej said:

i get your point but how supported are they for homebrew softwear? can it run anything a raspberry pi can run? i like to stick with the raspberry pi because its well supported 

RPi and this are both ARM processors, so they should have the exact same instruction set. the only difference is that the ODROIDs have a bit more "horsepower"

ESXi SysAdmin

Just now, Sunshine1868 said:

RPi and this are both ARM processors, so they should have the exact same instruction set. the only difference is that the ODROIDs have a bit more "horsepower"

yeah i get that just didn't know if the software such as retro pi would work

I lurk a lot

Im thinking of buying it just to make my room some more intressting like,

NFC project that unlocks certain things or maybe even with fingerprint.

I might can get my hands on some train tracks with some train to even try that out.

But the end idea is to install the pi onboard of our boat for : 

GPS / Temp check.

Recieve public WIFI with a antenna and make it possible to send our own little network out, so you dont have to add the wifi on 6 devices. You just make sure you enter the public ssid and password  it on the Pi and since the other devices are connected to the small network the Pi sends out all the devices will be good then.

Might aswell get some strip that measures how much water is in the water tank.

And since the locks on it are kind of old/easy i can get maybe the fingerprint idea working on there.

//What website do you use to order some fun parts for your Pi? Adafruit seems nice, anyways got to order alot in 1 time since import costs etc.

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored