Confused with PSU

Nabeel
Go to solution Solved by Darth-Marius,

have you used pcpartpicker? see if the watt difference is really significant

Hi guys,

I am building a PC for the 1st time ever and I am confused with what PSU I should go with. My components consist of Maximus Ranger Viii Motherboard, Intel i5 6400 2.7 Ghz, 2x 4GB DDR4 RAM (8GB kit), 1 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, DVD Writer, MSi Gtx 950/960 (Still deciding) and case Antec GX500 or Bitfenix Neos (Still deciding). The thing is that each Graphics Card requires different watts and different cases have more than 1 fans. Please help me

Thank You,

Nabeel 

Edited by Nabeel
In case of 960, it would be from Asus as it is cheaper than MSi's 960 in my country

2 minutes ago, Darth-Marius said:

No I haven't, I'll do that now

Check this guide for help. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

What are you future plans with gpu upgrade?
If u dont plan to use something overly powerful. a 500-550W bronze from a reputable brand is enough.
Having Gold/Platinum or modularity doesnt make it work any better, its just nice to have

15 minutes ago, Nabeel said:

Hi guys,

I am building a PC for the 1st time ever and I am confused with what PSU I should go with. My components consist of Maximus Ranger Viii Motherboard, Intel i5 6400 2.7 Ghz, 2x 4GB DDR4 RAM (8GB kit), 1 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, DVD Writer, MSi Gtx 950/960 (Still deciding) and case Antec GX500 or Bitfenix Neos (Still deciding). The thing is that each Graphics Card requires different watts and different cases have more than 1 fans. Please help me

Thank You,

Nabeel 

Like others have said really you only need around 500W regardless of the 950 or 960 but I'm a little confused on why you are going with a $200 motherboard with a locked CPU and not that much need for extra SATA and PCIe slots?  Honestly there are some much cheaper motherboards that are still good quality and have everything this build might need but would save you around  $100-120 that you could put towards the GPU or CPU. 

Edit:  Actually the Ranger doesn't even have the expandability of the regular Maximus either.  I have used ROG boards in the past but honestly unless you are trying to get the best overclock possible or need the expansion capabilities that this one doesn't even include, there are cheaper alternatives that would suit most people's needs just as well.

Edited by Mattyp92

R9 5900X | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | ASUS Crosshair VIII DarkHero | EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 | 2x 1TB WD Black SN850 | Lian Li O11D-XL | Corsair AX1200i

9 minutes ago, rafazafar said:

What are you future plans with gpu upgrade?
If u dont plan to use something overly powerful. a 500-550W bronze from a reputable brand is enough.
Having Gold/Platinum or modularity doesnt make it work any better, its just nice to have

Well I dont wish to upgrade soon. That's why I want the GPU which will not be issue soon.

5 minutes ago, Mattyp92 said:

Like others have said really you only need around 500W regardless of the 950 or 960 but I'm a little confused on why you are going with a $200 motherboard with a locked CPU and not that much need for extra SATA and PCIe slots?  Honestly there are some much cheaper motherboards that are still good quality and have everything this build might need but would save you around  $100-120 that you could put towards the GPU or CPU.  

I saw this motherboard on sale for a limited time so i bought this one.

2 minutes ago, Nabeel said:

Well I dont wish to upgrade soon. That's why I want the GPU which will not be issue soon.

even with 500 plus  bronze. u will be fine up to a r9 390/980ti. but if you will be overclocking them or the cpu, then maybe get a 550 or better 600w.

From Guru3D:
index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=160

Just now, rafazafar said:

even with 500 plus  bronze. u will be fine up to a r9 390. but if you will be overclocking, then maybe get a 550 or 600w.

Yeah, I dont think i will be overclocking.

21 minutes ago, Darth-Marius said:

I just tried it and I'm getting maximum of 280 Watts with 30 watts difference if I choose 950 over 960.

12 minutes ago, Mattyp92 said:

Edit:  Actually the Ranger doesn't even have the expandability of the regular Maximus either.  I have used ROG boards in the past but honestly unless you are trying to get the best overclock possible or need the expansion capabilities that this one doesn't even include, there are cheaper alternatives that would suit most people's needs just as well.

I didn't think of overclocking and I don't really wish to as of yet but yeah I didn't do much research on motherboards as I saw this one on sale and bought it. Plus it's an ROG board and I thought this would be good.

29 minutes ago, Nabeel said:

I didn't think of overclocking and I don't really wish to as of yet but yeah I didn't do much research on motherboards as I saw this one on sale and bought it. Plus it's an ROG board and I thought this would be good.

If ur up for it. maybe u can sell and get a budget board instead. Works just the same really.
Use the cash somewhere else..gpu, psu ect2

11 minutes ago, rafazafar said:

If ur up for it. maybe u can sell and get a budget board instead. Works just the same really.
Use the cash somewhere else..gpu, psu ect2

I'll see if someone is willing to buy the motherboard

1 hour ago, Nabeel said:

Hi guys,

Thank You,

Nabeel 

For your idea of a system a Corsair CX430M is fine. A Seasonic S12 is a slightly better option of modularity isn't a huge deal.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||