Help me with picking out a loop

Go to solution Solved by W-L,
13 hours ago, Octavialicious said:

Awesome. I sincerely thank you for your help thus far, I would be lost without it :) 

Going to buy it tomorrow morning, does it look good to order? I have a kill coil coming in from amazon to deal with growth in the loop, and PWM splitters as well. And obviously I will get a GPU with a block soon :P

That all looks about good I would go for the Mayhems coolant if you can they make some good stuff, not too sure about the pastel series from XSPC yet since they are somewhat new still.

One very important thing is to not use a silver kill coil in this loop, the premixed stuff will take care of everything, the reason being that the lian li block you have is nickel plated, nickel and silver are borderline dis-similar metals in a loop environment which can potentially cause issues with the nickel plating. 

My computer is driving me crazy with temps, so I just said screw it and I'm going to watercool. I'm quite familiar with it, I'm just not too sure which fittings I would need.

Questions:

1. Performance PCs is the go to now a days, right?

2. What is an affordable pump/res combo that looks kinda like what Jay has in Skunkworks?

I was thinking GPU block (don't need one, going to buy an R9-290 with a block probably), 360mm + 240mm rad, then tubing coolant etc. I will probs add a block in later... What kind of fittings do I need? Barb is fine, cheaper the better :P 

If someone would like to do a rough sketch of what I should buy, I would be very grateful. Budget is like $300 without GPU/CPU block. Thanks :) 

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

4 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

-SNIP-

I would suggest to start off with a kit and build from there adding in the needed GPU block, one like this from EKWB is a good option:

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-kit-l360-r2-0

Performance PC has theses kits and the GPU waterblock you should need.

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

I would suggest to start off with a kit and build from there adding in the needed GPU block, one like this from EKWB is a good option:

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-kit-l360-r2-0

Performance PC has theses kits and the GPU waterblock you should need.

Good idea, but do they have any slightly cheaper ones? I see some stuff from XSPC for a bit cheaper (It's probs because of the Vardar fans, in my systems I have a strict guideline of S12A-ULN only so they would go to waste)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

2 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

Good idea, but do they have any slightly cheaper ones? I see some stuff from XSPC for a bit cheaper (It's probs because of the Vardar fans, in my systems I have a strict guideline of S12A-ULN only so they would go to waste)

They are fairly reasonably priced for what they are, there are some XSPC units that do use the bay res's and mini pumps which does save on some cost but tend to be much louder and don't perform as well. As for fans between the two I would actually recommend the Vardars over those since they are not pressure optimized and will not perform as well as on a radiator, if your wanting Noctua fans the NF-F12 would be ideal for this kind of situation. 

Just now, W-L said:

They are fairly reasonably priced for what they are, there are some XSPC units that do use the bay res's and mini pumps which does save on some cost but tend to be much louder and don't perform as well. As for fans between the two I would actually recommend the Vardars over those since they are not pressure optimized and will not perform as well as on a radiator, if your wanting Noctua fans the NF-F12 would be ideal for this kind of situation. 

If they're anything like the NF-P12 then it is a big noo... it killed my ears :(

and yeah, that's why I'm going 360+240 because these fans do nothing haha. I have a hybrid but the 120mm is not doing it even with push+pull 

20 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

My computer is driving me crazy with temps, so I just said screw it and I'm going to watercool. I'm quite familiar with it, I'm just not too sure which fittings I would need.

Questions:

1. Performance PCs is the go to now a days, right?

2. What is an affordable pump/res combo that looks kinda like what Jay has in Skunkworks?

I was thinking GPU block (don't need one, going to buy an R9-290 with a block probably), 360mm + 240mm rad, then tubing coolant etc. I will probs add a block in later... What kind of fittings do I need? Barb is fine, cheaper the better :P 

If someone would like to do a rough sketch of what I should buy, I would be very grateful. Budget is like $300 without GPU/CPU block. Thanks :) 

You need to remember to use a suitable case, I've come across lots of problems with water cooling when the case is too small.

btw, nekopara 2 is out ye?

Quote me if you want me to reply.

Brand Blacklist: Gainward, Silverstone, Cougar, Gigabyte.

Just now, HatsuneMilku said:

You need to remember to use a suitable case, I've come across lots of problems with water cooling when the case is too small.

btw, nekopara 2 is out ye?

not sure, I've actually never played it haha

and yeah, I'm moving back to my Air 540. N200 is driving me bonkers 

2 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

If they're anything like the NF-P12 then it is a big noo... it killed my ears :(

and yeah, that's why I'm going 360+240 because these fans do nothing haha. I have a hybrid but the 120mm is not doing it even with push+pull 

Well they are partially louder when turned all the way up as any other fan but for sure not what I would say loud when idling. Testing the NF-F12 LTT editions they are pretty slick, and not what I would say noisy.

Having more rads does help but it incurs more cost, for a single CPU and GPU loop your looking at around $450-$500USD for a quality loop and with more rads it will increase that. The kits are a good starting point since it's kind of a bundle deal other than adding in a GPU block and some fittings. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Well they are partially louder when turned all the way up as any other fan but for sure not what I would say loud when idling. Testing the NF-F12 LTT editions they are pretty slick, and not what I would say noisy.

Having more rads does help but it incurs more cost, for a single CPU and GPU loop your looking at around $450-$500USD for a quality loop and with more rads it will increase that. The kits are a good starting point since it's kind of a bundle deal other than adding in a GPU block and some fittings. 

I don't know what's wrong with me, PC noise drives me crazy. Even with an ULN adapter + voltage turn down the NF-A14 were driving me cray

7 minutes ago, W-L said:

idk is this that bad?

4392fd9e5d0f40781c6bda28690e044a.png

4 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

idk is this that bad?

You would still need to add in a GPU block however unless your just planning a CPU only loop, then going for one of the kits would be a better option. One thing is I don't recommend the DCP pump if you want dead silence, the D5 would be the best and the DDC following close behind but still being a bit noiser. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

You would still need to add in a GPU block however unless your just planning a CPU loop, then going for one of the kits would be a better option. One thing is I don't recommend the DCP pump if you want dead silence, the D5 would be the best and the DDC following close behind but still being a bit noiser. 

yea, I'm going to buy an R9 290 + block for cheap on reddit probably

and ty, I will look for the D5 pump

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

You would still need to add in a GPU block however unless your just planning a CPU loop, then going for one of the kits would be a better option. One thing is I don't recommend the DCP pump if you want dead silence, the D5 would be the best and the DDC following close behind but still being a bit noiser. 

This D5? http://www.performance-pcs.com/xspc-d5-dual-bay-reservoir-pump-combo-v2.html

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yes that would be it the Vario version or either PWM control to let you change the speed is best.

Alright, and then are the fittings correct? b060f3c9f80265d3c2aea0716a9b9e53.png

I am using 3/8 x 5/8 tubes and everything I bought uses G1/4, so it should work right?

19 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

Alright, and then are the fittings correct? 

I am using 3/8 x 5/8 tubes and everything I bought uses G1/4, so it should work right?

Yes those are a good option, and everything is standardize to G1/4" thread. 

15 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yes those are a good option, and everything is standardize to G1/4" thread. 

Awesome. I sincerely thank you for your help thus far, I would be lost without it :) 

6f03cf5919e7009e8fe59ec891053fc7.png

Going to buy it tomorrow morning, does it look good to order? I have a kill coil coming in from amazon to deal with growth in the loop, and PWM splitters as well. And obviously I will get a GPU with a block soon :P

13 hours ago, Octavialicious said:

That all looks about good I would go for the Mayhems coolant if you can they make some good stuff, not too sure about the pastel series from XSPC yet since they are somewhat new still.

One very important thing is to not use a silver kill coil in this loop, the premixed stuff will take care of everything, the reason being that the lian li block you have is nickel plated, nickel and silver are borderline dis-similar metals in a loop environment which can potentially cause issues with the nickel plating. 

you'll prolly find that the static pressure (.44mm/h20) on those s12a fans will not really be enough to keep them at 600rpm under a 100% load to keep a comfortable temperature.. just not enough to penetrate the 54mm thick nemesis split fins. the P12 just is barely enough for a SR1 with a smaller fpi and less fin density.

4 minutes ago, airdeano said:

you'll prolly find that the static pressure (.44mm/h20) on those s12a fans will not really be enough to keep them at 600rpm under a 100% load to keep a comfortable temperature.. just not enough to penetrate the 54mm thick nemesis split fins. the P12 just is barely enough for a SR1 with a smaller fpi and less fin density.

Wish this was here earlier :( ordered my loop 10 min ago 

1 minute ago, airdeano said:

try it your way to see, but i believe it will not be enough to make those rads cool properly. as stated, my p12 (1.66mm/h2o) fans just are enough for a looser fin array in 54mm thickness. those s12a fans are case fans with that as their sole purpose.

http://noctua.at/en/which_fan_is_right_for_me

It is 24mm though? 

10 hours ago, W-L said:

I'm stupid and realized I should've gotten low FPI radiators... People say they are louder at High FPI, but that is because you have to turn the fan speeds up for optimal performance right? It wouldn't make my PC louder if I used 600 RPM with a Low FPI vs High FPI radiator right?

2 hours ago, Octavialicious said:

I'm stupid and realized I should've gotten low FPI radiators... People say they are louder at High FPI, but that is because you have to turn the fan speeds up for optimal performance right? It wouldn't make my PC louder if I used 600 RPM with a Low FPI vs High FPI radiator right?

It would be a tad bit louder (The extra fins make more noise because the air has to cut around more fins) and it might not cool as well (The low RPM fans would have trouble pushing sit through the high fpi radiator...so yeah, you'd either have to crank the fan speed up or accept it running hotter).

That being said, I do wonder how'd you react to my cooling setup...I have push/pull 3,700 RPM delta fans on a hyper 212+. haha. 

6 hours ago, Octavialicious said:

Lower FPI and thinner rads give a bit more silence than higher ones but less cooling perform than say the ones you have selected as long as the fans are well pressure optimized they will be able to do a fairly good job even when idle.