Build a new pc that I cannot sell, please help

DavidGuba

Hi guys, I know the pc market is pretty bad for us guys trying to sell on craigslist, but I recently built the white build that awesomesauce built on his channel.

I paid around $2200-$2300 for this system and have been trying to sell it for $2500-$2600 with no luck, only paypal scammers would contact me, and half the people would just compliment my build which is nice, but I need to sell this pc. I was thinking about selling on eBay but the final value fee ends up being $267. Thats even if it doesn't sell! So thats a no go.

Any tips on how to sell it? Or any takers even? I'd be willing to ship it to you if you paid for shipping ($50-$70 throughout america). I could set the terms and we could do this through Paypal.

All help and feedback appreciated!

2 minutes ago, DavidGuba said:

Hi guys, I know the pc market is pretty bad for us guys trying to sell on craigslist, but I recently built the white build that awesomesauce built on his channel.

I paid around $2200-$2300 for this system and have been trying to sell it for $2500-$2600 with no luck, only paypal scammers would contact me, and half the people would just compliment my build which is nice, but I need to sell this pc. I was thinking about selling on eBay but the final value fee ends up being $267. Thats even if it doesn't sell! So thats a no go.

Any tips on how to sell it? Or any takers even? I'd be willing to ship it to you if you paid for shipping ($50-$70 throughout america). I could set the terms and we could do this through Paypal.

All help and feedback appreciated!

Local selling

TBH you're trying to scam people yourself if you expect people to pay $2600 for that. More like $1500 or less especially if you're not a professional builder and used it for a bit. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

Well, your main problem is building the system and expecting payoff from it without anyone having commissioned it.

The majority of pc builders out there don't just build random systems and sell them, they take specialty orders from clients and build a system tailored to what that client wants.

For it to sell you'll just have to wait until someone with the money and desire goes looking for a system like that, but is too lazy to just build it themselves. Its probably going to take quite some time, even systems priced under their initial build costs will take time to sell.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Yea... just because it might look good with the PC market, how could you expect to actually make $$$ on something no one asked you to make? Gnenerally people take losses on making PC's for fun. I think some guys make video builds, then sell the PC for a slight actual loss but make up for it in video views. Other-wise.... why do you see brand new builds going for less on Craigslist?

Thats because it is technically used

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

There is no market in building and selling PC's unless you're doing it for people you actually know. Places like Best Buy, NCIX and Memory Express completely dominate this market

better idea to make money. Spend 2200 dollars on an IRA and wait for the interest to build until it reaches 2600. Stop trying to rip people off. 

1 hour ago, afyeung said:

TBH you're trying to scam people yourself if you expect people to pay $2600 for that. More like $1500 or less especially if you're not a professional builder and used it for a bit. 

I havent used it though, its a brand new build. And no the reason Im not selling it for lower is because its brand new. its not scamming. $2300 for parts and a $100-$200 fee for actually building it and making it work.

1 hour ago, Atmos said:

Well, your main problem is building the system and expecting payoff from it without anyone having commissioned it.

The majority of pc builders out there don't just build random systems and sell them, they take specialty orders from clients and build a system tailored to what that client wants.

For it to sell you'll just have to wait until someone with the money and desire goes looking for a system like that, but is too lazy to just build it themselves. Its probably going to take quite some time, even systems priced under their initial build costs will take time to sell.

Yeh your right, honestly I built it because I wanted to. Like its a hobby of mine but I cant really afford to keep it as i already own a gaming pc.

Just now, DavidGuba said:

Yeh your right, honestly I built it because I wanted to. Like its a hobby of mine but I cant really afford to keep it as i already own a gaming pc.

Best you can really do now is sell it for less and hope you can get back enough money to just bite the bullet and suck up the costs of building it.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I don't see why you guys think I'm ripping people off. Yes its not a build order but im still charging to build it basically. My friend bought a pc from digital storm for $2500. I added up the parts my self brand new with pc part picker and got $1900 (without discounts). So if anything, large companies are the rip offs. Yeh they have warranties included and I'm not including any warranty, but Im not overpricing it either.

You are not ripping people off. But i do think all sane people will rather pay 2.500 dollars to a company so that they have some sort of guarantee on their investment, instead of paying a stranger $2.200 and hoping that everything keeps working properly. $2k+ is alot of money.

7 hours ago, DavidGuba said:

I don't see why you guys think I'm ripping people off. Yes its not a build order but im still charging to build it basically. My friend bought a pc from digital storm for $2500. I added up the parts my self brand new with pc part picker and got $1900 (without discounts). So if anything, large companies are the rip offs. Yeh they have warranties included and I'm not including any warranty, but Im not overpricing it either.

It's because you're not a professional builder, in that you can't legally guarantee that if someone as issues they can get a fix for free. Also there are tons of advantages to buying from a certified business who has constant customer support vs. a single who has little experience selling custom systems.  I put your system together in PC partpicker and added a 980ti since the HOF 980 was discontinued https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/ total without discounts was under $1800. Add in accessories and you get a bit above $1800. And this for a system with a much better GPU. You want to sell this for $2500? Really? This is a system that an experienced builder could literally perfect in less than 2 hours. So you're charging like $200 an hour for labor? And you can't gaurantee anything since you don't run a certified business, AND it's technically a used product. That's what I would call a scam. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I don't know if you can close this discussion, but I'd say my questions are answered.

On 28 February 2016 at 6:36 AM, afyeung said:

It's because you're not a professional builder, in that you can't legally guarantee that if someone as issues they can get a fix for free. Also there are tons of advantages to buying from a certified business who has constant customer support vs. a single who has little experience selling custom systems.  I put your system together in PC partpicker and added a 980ti since the HOF 980 was discontinued https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/ total without discounts was under $1800. Add in accessories and you get a bit above $1800. And this for a system with a much better GPU. You want to sell this for $2500? Really? This is a system that an experienced builder could literally perfect in less than 2 hours. So you're charging like $200 an hour for labor? And you can't gaurantee anything since you don't run a certified business, AND it's technically a used product. That's what I would call a scam. 

You make a very good point, thank you!