Help with blue-screening i5-3570K

I got my i5-3570K and mushkin 1866Mhz memory about 2 months ago, and was using turbo until about 2 weeks ago which may be what caused it. In the last 3 days I have gotten 5 blue-screens, usually from launching or closing a game (might be a coincidence). I didn't do any stability tests, which ones should I do to test this? Or should I just lower my memory frequency or add Voltage to my processor? Or is it something other than that? I am not overclocking and I didn't change anything at all. The only thing that I changed was turning off turbo. Could turbo for about 6 weeks damaged my processor for using excess voltage that shouldn't have been used? Any help at all appreciated for my situation appreciated, you guys rock <3

How exactly did you disable Turbo? Did you go the BIOS or you did it with some kind of software implementation? First go to the BIOS and load factory default settings. There is a good chance that you messed something up in there and that it causing the system instability. After that download Prime95. Run a torture test of SmallFFTs for at least 2h in order to check basic stability of the system. After that do a virus scan of your whole computer. If you don't use some kind of anti-virus softaware, download - Malwarebytes and do a full scan of Local Disc: C.

May I ask what kind of graphics card do you have? Is it overclocked? Have updated the drivers for it?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

First of all you might want to follow your topic so you can see if someone responds =P [top right] ^^

I got my i5-3570K and mushkin 1866Mhz memory about 2 months ago, and was using turbo until about 2 weeks ago which may be what caused it. In the last 3 days I have gotten 5 blue-screens, usually from launching or closing a game (might be a coincidence). I didn't do any stability tests, which ones should I do to test this? Or should I just lower my memory frequency or add Voltage to my processor? Or is it something other than that? I am not overclocking and I didn't change anything at all. The only thing that I changed was turning off turbo. Could turbo for about 6 weeks damaged my processor for using excess voltage that shouldn't have been used? Any help at all appreciated for my situation appreciated, you guys rock <3

Prime 95 as @Analog has mentioned already is a very good tool for stress testing. OCCT / Intel Burn Test is another alternative that will really really stress your system.

You should try to following things:

CMD as Admin:

sfc /scannow [Will check Windows installation]

chkdsk /f  [Will check disk integrity]

Update your GPU drivers.

If you run your RAM at 1866 be sure to manually type in the specifications on the box.

Download Malewarebytes as @Analog mentioned and check your PC.

Perhaps download BlueScreenView and check for the Error codes as you can easily google them and they'll most of the time tell you the problem or a selection of possible problems. ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Thanks guys, very helpful!

How exactly did you disable Turbo? Did you go the BIOS or you did it with some kind of software implementation? First go to the BIOS and load factory default settings. There is a good chance that you messed something up in there and that it causing the system instability. After that download Prime95. Run a torture test of SmallFFTs for at least 2h in order to check basic stability of the system. After that do a virus scan of your whole computer. If you don't use some kind of anti-virus softaware, download - Malwarebytes and do a full scan of Local Disc: C.

May I ask what kind of graphics card do you have? Is it overclocked? Have updated the drivers for it?

Yes, I turned off turbo in the BIOS and I was very careful to not touch anything else. I'll start off with the factory settings, using for a few days, and then turbo off and see if anything is changed. And will try prime95 if needed after. Thanks for the help again :D

• 4 weeks later...

I've been really busy lately and haven't gotten around to doing that much about this problem but I tried a test in prime-95 and after like 20 mins one of my threads failed with an error. What is the next step I should take?

Also, I'm 99% sure that I didn't mess in the BIOS to change something I shouldn't have, so this shouldn't be a real reason but how can I do a factory reset anyway? I have a p8 lx2 motherboard if that helps....

I've tried the bluescreenview and the information it's giving is not that helpful. There's a couple of different names it comes up with.

I cannot remember if my powersupply is 450W or 550W but I'm wondering if this is all because of a lack of power? I have an i5-3570K, 7870, and 8gb of ram, 2 hdds. I'm not sure though because even turning off Turbo doesn't help the crashes although I would assume that uses more power

But isn't that just testing the memory?

Yes, sometimes Blue-screens are caused by bad RAM sticks. I strongly recommend to use that program and check your memory sticks one by one. Leave one stick in and test it with that program. then do the same thing with the other RAM modules.  

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Yes, sometimes Blue-screens are caused by bad RAM sticks. I strongly recommend to use that program and check your memory sticks one by one. Leave one stick in and test it with that program. then do the same thing with the other RAM modules.  

Is it ok to just try it with both ram modules to see if that's a problem in the first place? and then if there is a problem then I can figure out which one is causing the problem by taking one out etc.?

Is it ok to just try it with both ram modules to see if that's a problem in the first place? and then if there is a problem then I can figure out which one is causing the problem by taking one out etc.?

Yes, you could. 

Yes, you could. 

Any way to do it without a cd or usb?

Any way to do it without a cd or usb?

Not really. However you could try removing one of the RAM sticks and using the system for a while to check if there will be any problems.

Not really. However you could try removing one of the RAM sticks and using the system for a while to check if there will be any problems.

Ah, clever. I will try this. Thanks for the help

Ah, clever. I will try this. Thanks for the help

No problem! I hope this solves your issues! :)

I tried swapping out the 2 ram sticks and found that my computer crashes with either one in so I guess it's not a memory problem

I'm going to just quickly repeat my problem so anyone can help easily.

I have an i5-3570K, 8gb of ram and 7870. I am getting bluescreened. Updated video drivers, tried turning on/off turbo, swapping out memory but still crashes. No overclocking on cpu, just turbo. I have either a 450W or 550W ps (don't remember). This could be causing the problem. Any way to check this? somehow lower my power requirements?

Another piece of information that just might be of use is that my computer crashes whenever something sudden happens. Like alt-tabbing away from a game, alt-tabbing into a game, turning on a game in the first place, sometimes even just turning on music or a video. A couple of times even happened when my monitor turned off from being afk for 15 mins and as I came back to continue the computer it just crashed instantly.

Any help at all appreciated

what brand of psu do you have and what motherboard do you have?

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

what brand of psu do you have and what motherboard do you have?

motherboard is asus p8 z77 (pretty sure that's a good one) and my psu is some old antec one

motherboard is asus p8 z77 (pretty sure that's a good one) and my psu is some old antec one

Have you trieda different power supply that old one might be on it way out a can't provide stable power.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Have you trieda different power supply that old one might be on it way out a can't provide stable power.

No, I haven't. And it might be a while until I get to try that. Is there anything that I can do apart from that to test that?