Mighty Audio: The MP3 player for Spotify users

suicidalfranco

source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/51215664/mighty-streaming-music-without-your-phone

mighty-audio-8.jpeg

Mighty Audio is an MP3 player targeted at all those who decided to make music streaming their sole source of music entertainment, to more precise, targeted to those who live and breath Spotify. This new MP3 looks really familiar, something that has been available for more than a decade, ring a bell?

51LbAY-0VBL._SL1024_.jpg

Jokes aside, the Mighty takes what made great the Shuffle and takes it out of the 2000s; how can you rebuild this wheel you might ask, well simple: no iTunes (or computers in general) needed for music syncing!

The mighty relies on blutooth connectivity and your smartphone to sync with your Spotify library, which may be something really painfully slow to do, but is a step in the right dirrection if you ask me, maybe next, if this kickstart company survives, they could implement wifi syncing (even having the Mighty as wireless hotspot like the wireless hard drives) to make their solution better than what one has to go through with iTunes (i know that the Shuffle isn't the MP3 player of that kind, but frankly, iTunes way is better then the drag and drop method of non Apple MP3 players, unless you have Rhythmbox or Banshee, but that's just me).

To use this device a Premium Spotify account will be required (duh!), and you'll have to download the Mighty app for iOS or Android, have those two and you'll be able to enjoy your music outside without relying on your phone.

So far their kickstarter campaign sits at 160k$ and needs to reach 250k$ to meet their goal with 25 days remaining. Real question is: will we see this with Luke on kickfarted?

Want to know more about it? technobuffalo has had the chance to have an hands-on with the device: http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/02/27/might-audio-hands-on-this-crazy-spotify-powered-music-player-really-works/

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Every kickstarter mp3 player I can think of turned out bad, I think this will be no different. If this device relies on your smartphone, then why not just play songs from your smartphone?

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

13 minutes ago, CommandMan7 said:

Every kickstarter mp3 player I can think of turned out bad, I think this will be no different. If this device relies on your smartphone, then why not just play songs from your smartphone?

it relies on your smartphone only to get the tracks, done that you can leave your smartphone at home/in the car or whatever

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

31 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

it relies on your smartphone only to get the tracks, done that you can leave your smartphone at home/in the car or whatever

Why would anyone leave their phone at home or in their car? Pointless product is pointless.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

It's the kind of product that sounds really nice at first but when you really think about it actually is kind of crap.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Sport-Running-bag-phone-leather-Case-Arm

Less than $79. Plays all the songs you want.

Here's a million dollar idea: Just use a Bluetooth headset adapter since it uses the same technology, and isn't locked down to any app or ecosystem. Even better is that you can get them cheaper than $80, sigh...

At least they added 4GB of storage, hopefully they implement it right. This device really doesn't any sense to me, and this is coming from somebody that uses a iPod Nano 6th gen(AKA my workout buddy :3).

27 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

Here's a million dollar idea: Just use a Bluetooth headset adapter since it uses the same technology, and isn't locked down to any app or ecosystem. Even better is that you can get them cheaper than $80, sigh...

At least they added 4GB of storage, hopefully they implement it right. This device really doesn't any sense to me, and this is coming from somebody that uses a iPod Nano 6th gen(AKA my workout buddy :3).

RIP. This doesn't have enough storage for music ......................

My music library is around 11Gb so that's problematic + the OS we don't see + drivers we don't see. I would have liked 32Gb storage.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

20 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

RIP. This doesn't have enough storage for music .....................

It gets even better when you do the math behind their claims. They claim it can store up to 48 hours of music, which 48 hours of 320kbps audio is just shy of 7GB(rough math, actual size might vary), so that means that you either have to compromise on audio quality to get 48 hours(128kbps comes out to 2.7GB roughly, so you could fit all 48 hours) or deal with less than 12 hours of music. Then again, its not like it matters anyways since the battery is only estimated to last for 5 hours on a charge(1/3 of the iPod nano they are comparing it to). If anything, the abysmal battery life is more of an issue than the storage.

28 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

It gets even better when you do the math behind their claims. They claim it can store up to 48 hours of music, which 48 hours of 320kbps audio is just shy of 7GB(rough math, actual size might vary), so that means that you either have to compromise on audio quality to get 48 hours(128kbps comes out to 2.7GB roughly, so you could fit all 48 hours) or deal with less than 12 hours of music. Then again, its not like it matters anyways since the battery is only estimated to last for 5 hours on a charge(1/3 of the iPod nano they are comparing it to). If anything, the abysmal battery life is more of an issue than the storage.

Why can't somebody just make a good music device?

Store 64GB of music. Connect to streaming services and have an app for all smartphones and not be a screwup.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Why can't somebody just make a good music device.

Store 64GB of music. Connect to streaming services and have an apple for all smartphones and not be a screwup.

People have great ideas, but execute poorly. Since this thing runs Android and has plenty of storage(and lets face it, it wouldn't cost them much more to make it 8/16GB), they could easily make it run Spotify/Soundcloud/GPMusic/Groove/Pandora/etc. and integrate all of these apps nicely, but they are fixed on the idea of making it Spotify only(and from what I'm reading, you cant copy MP3's to it, so without Spotify this device is worthless, although I imagine custom ROMs could make this a pretty cool device). 

This product is very "first gen", far from something I would recommend backing.

Edit: And since I know how Android works with HID devices and its accessibility options, the work is all done for them, there is no excuse for them to leave out other streaming(or even straight MP3's). Sigh...

...so its pretty much an ipod shuffle...

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

whats the point if i need my smart phone with me anyway, just plug my headphones into my smart phone and the device becomes pointless.

The Dick of the audio page!