Does fans even make a difference?

Hey guys novice here, i was wondering, if my cpu and gpu are water cooled do fans even matter except maybe for the motherboard temps? Will it lower temps to have fans or could i might as well take them off? Btw this is if im using a very large case.

if you are water cooling then youd still need a fan for case airflow and also your radiators. radiators work by airflow 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Just now, cummerou1 said:

Hey guys novice here, i was wondering, if my cpu and gpu are water cooled do fans even matter except maybe for the motherboard temps? Will it lower temps to have fans or could i might as well take them off? Btw this is if im using a very large case.

To a degree if you have decent quality pressure optimized fans they will work fairly well but may be be as quiet or perform slightly less than the top end stuff. The main thing for rad and heatsink fans is they are pressure optimized made for pushing and forcing air through the fins where airflow fans are more about cfm or volume.

You would need fans for the radiators for sure. As for case fans, it wouldn't hurt to still keep some in so that the heat created by the chipset can be dispersed

Of course im talking about case fans :)

Also im planning to make my components be in my desk ( like this except much more simple and no glass panels, flashy led's or 4 k). I have calculated my desk to contain 2 m3 of air and one fan of those im looking at will move 124 m3 per hour (i will cut that down to 40% due to noise). How many fans do you guys think i would need?

17 minutes ago, cummerou1 said:

Of course im talking about case fans :)

Also im planning to make my components be in my desk ( like this except much more simple and no glass panels, flashy led's or 4 k). I have calculated my desk to contain 2 m3 of air and one fan of those im looking at will move 124 m3 per hour (i will cut that down to 40% due to noise). How many fans do you guys think i would need?

It would depend on how the was laid out but if you were to say have two 360mm rads for example as exhuast having 6 intakes to balance it off and running the intakes slightly higher RPM having more intake cfm than exhaust can ensure positive air pressure which is good for keeping dust down as long as all intakes are filtered. 

So you are saying that the water cooling raditors should be put as the exhaust and then have enough intake fans to match the exhaust fans and run them at slightly higher rpm? My problem is how do i get the radiators to act as the exhaust? How do i get them to stick to the wall when i have made the hole? Making a hole large enough for the radiator would also mean the radiator could fall out. How does this work in normal cases?

7 minutes ago, cummerou1 said:

So you are saying that the water cooling raditors should be put as the exhaust and then have enough intake fans to match the exhaust fans and run them at slightly higher rpm? My problem is how do i get the radiators to act as the exhaust? How do i get them to stick to the wall when i have made the hole? Making a hole large enough for the radiator would also mean the radiator could fall out. How does this work in normal cases?

Not necessarily having rads as intake also work if you want to make things compact only reason why having it as exhaust is it keep things a little cooler inside the desk.

For making holes or mounts for rads and fans there are various methods either cutting out an opening and using a plate/cover or the wood itself and cutting out precise mounting points and making holes where the fans and rads will mount to. As for setting up rads as either exhausts and intakes you simply change the orientation of the fan.

If your looking for fan hole templates there are some good ones from MNPC tech under the Templates section of the Modding FAQ:

Thanks for the great help! I heard a lot about custom water cooling but i was wondering if im running a moderate overclock on something like a 980 ti is it possible to keep under 60 degrees celsius with a prebuilt one? How about an i-7 5820k extreme edition? Checking the forums says custom coolinb is at least 300 dollars if not more. Can i keep my hardware under 60 celsius if spending 300 dollars on prebuilt instead?

Thanks for the great help! I heard a lot about custom water cooling but i was wondering if im running a moderate overclock on something like a 980 ti is it possible to keep under 60 degrees celsius with a prebuilt one? How about an i-7 5820k extreme edition? Checking the forums says custom coolinb is at least 300 dollars if not more. Can i keep my hardware under 60 celsius if spending 300 dollars on prebuilt instead?

For a decent quality loop for single CPU and GPU your looking almost at $500 USD by the end of everything which is quite hefty. As for pre-built it would depend what the hardware is if they have very beefy aftermarket coolers or heatsinks some cards can stay pretty cool even overclocked, usually customizing parts and building it yourself gives you the best option for that.

If your wanting the extra cooling performance however without the cost, doing and AIO loop for the CPU and GPU with an adapter bracket may be something to look into. It would give similar performance to a custom loop without the extra costs and work including maintenance.

Adapter bracket is so a cpu water cooler will fit with gpu, correct?

Adapter bracket is so a cpu water cooler will fit with gpu, correct?

Yes it would be ones like the G10 from NZXT or HG10 from Corsair.

Ok, thanks a lot :)

Btw when buying cards there a lot of different editions but do they matter when water cooling your card? Is it not only fan changes? I believe i was told this but when i checked the cheapest 980 ti card vs one of the more expensive the expensive one said it took 350 watts while the cheap one took 750!

Ok, thanks a lot :)

Btw when buying cards there a lot of different editions but do they matter when water cooling your card? Is it not only fan changes? I believe i was told this but when i checked the cheapest 980 ti card vs one of the more expensive the expensive one said it took 350 watts while the cheap one took 750!

Not sure where you saw that but their TDP of the same cards are relatively close to the same usually that is until you overclock it where some can go further than others. As for compatibility for AIO brackets they will usually specify what cards they will fit on, for custom watercooling, things like EK's cooling configuator are good for finding the correct full cover blocks.

I meant changes performance wise. It is the same card if i take off the fans no matter which edition it is, is it not?

3 minutes ago, cummerou1 said:

-SNIP-

Both those are incorrect to a degree, I wouldn't suggest looking for specs like this on Amazon, but to go directly to the manufacture's site for detailed info.

I believe the Gigabyte one is stating minimum "recommended" PSU wattage where the Asus is going on absolute max power that the card can have provided to it though the two 8 pins power connectors.

13 minutes ago, cummerou1 said:

I meant changes performance wise. It is the same card if i take off the fans no matter which edition it is, is it not?

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Both those are incorrect to a degree, I wouldn't suggest looking for specs like this on Amazon, but to go directly to the manufacture's site for detailed info.

I believe the Gigabyte one is stating minimum "recommended" PSU wattage where the Asus is going on absolute max power that the card can have provided to it though the two 8 pins power connectors.

Well thats confusing :) weird of them to do that

Well thats confusing :) weird of them to do that

Also they are not the same PCB or card if you take off the fans they are both custom PCB designs that are not the same as the stock Nvida grey and black cards. So double check to see what brackets are compatible for the GPU's if you do choose to go with AIO coolers.

So that means a non overclocked asus 980 ti strix card water cooled will have a different performance than the reference one from nvidia?

2 minutes ago, cummerou1 said:

So that means a non overclocked asus 980 ti strix card water cooled will have a different performance than the reference one from nvidia?

Yes because they usually come from the manufacture already with a higher stock clock than say the reference edition.

But if i overclock them both as hard as they can is there any difference? (expect pure luck) What im asking is there any reason to buy the asus over a regular nvidia one when watercooling?

3 minutes ago, cummerou1 said:

But if i overclock them both as hard as they can is there any difference? (expect pure luck) What im asking is there any reason to buy the asus over a regular nvidia one when watercooling?

You can potentially get higher overclocks if you got a good chip with aftermarket cards since they usually have beefier power delivery and components on the PCB itself. 

So you would reccomend spending 40 - 60 pounds extra on a better edition?