R9 290 "LN2 mode"

RafaelSoaresP
Go to solution Solved by DXMember,
Just now, RafaelSoaresP said:

They say during the video "You should change to LN2 mode even if only using air cooling". That's what made me a little confuse. How do I activate that?

it's basically a dual BIOS switch

it's a physical switch on the PCB that changes from one BIOS to another, MSI put a different custom BIOS that allows for higher unrestricted voltage control on the Lightning

your XFX card has Silent BIOS (the fans will target low RPM) and Uber BIOS (the fans will target low temperature)

So, i was watching this video

And they mention a "LN2 mode" that allows better control over your clock speeds.

Can anyone tell me what's that? Google only show me people cooling the gpu with liquid nitrogen (ln2 :S).

Also, if you could point me to any guide on the subject I'd be very thankfull.

Btw, i have a XFX reference R9 290. My arctic Accelero Xtreme III custom cooler is arriving tomorrow to make it finally quiet :)

it allows higher overclocks and more voltage

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, RafaelSoaresP said:

Google only show me people cooling the gpu with liquid nitrogen (ln2 :S).

Google is right,

what's your question

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

Google is right,

what's your question

They say during the video "You should change to LN2 mode even if only using air cooling". That's what made me a little confuse. How do I activate that?

Just now, RafaelSoaresP said:

it's basically a dual BIOS switch

it's a physical switch on the PCB that changes from one BIOS to another, MSI put a different custom BIOS that allows for higher unrestricted voltage control on the Lightning

your XFX card has Silent BIOS (the fans will target low RPM) and Uber BIOS (the fans will target low temperature)

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

"Silent" 

Yeah right XFX. Hahahha

Thanks a lot @DXMember for the clear response.

if it's a reference card with the blower design then that's on Sapphire )))

I used to have XFX 290 DD Black and it was very quiet

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

if it's a reference card with the blower design then that's on Sapphire )))

I used to have XFX 290 DD Black and it was very quiet

I guess xfx calls mine the core edition or something. Anyway, got it for much cheaper than the other options (was about $300 about a year ago), and can't complain much about it. 

Can't wait to install my aftermarket cooler though.  

I guess xfx calls mine the core edition or something. Anyway, got it for much cheaper than the other options (was about $300 about a year ago), and can't complain much about it. 

Can't wait to install my aftermarket cooler though.  

have fun with it and bring some pictures to us