After a lot of tinkering I finally got Arch Linux running and looking pretty good

ZY2BQSU.png

Distro: Arch Linux

DTE: XFCE desktop

Terminal: Terminator Terminal

Conky - Gotham clock and lunatico-rings (without the rings for some reason)

i5 4670k @4.4GHz

Radeon 7970

8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

This has taken me a few days as it's my first major linux installation (I have briefly installed and played with things like Ubuntu) but I never really learned to use them to their full extent, I ran into quite a few problems but all is working now.

Also any suggestions for software I should install would be great :D

Thanks

20 Year old Computing student who plays video games and fusses over how his PC looks in his free time

Spoiler

PC Specs

CPU: Intel Core i7 4670K - 4.4 GHz | MotherboardMSI Z77-G45 Gaming | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO - 128GB x 2 | GPU: MSI AMD Radeon 7950 | PSU: Corsair CX750m | Case: NZXT S340 | Cooling: Corsair H90 | MonitorAOC 22" Monitor | PeripheralsRazer Blackwidow Ultimate, Creative Soundblaster Rage Wireless and Logitech G502 | Operating System: Windows 10  Arch Linux (XFCE) 

Pictures and More Information Here 

I used to use ArchBang as my main OS choice years ago but running a "bleeding edge" OS started causing too many problems for me so I went with Fedora for something more stable (I specifically hated it when the Arch Linux developers break functionality on something I used because they don't use it, next time I run pacman and boom broken software :(). The Arch Linux forums are comical though if you like watching elitist berate people trying to learn Arch Linux. 

-KuJoe

Numix circle icons.

I use Arch but I've never managed to get anything better than a solid blue background with a clock on it.

51 minutes ago, drc00k3 said:

I use Arch but I've never managed to get anything better than a solid blue background with a clock on it.

Psst "sudo pacman -S *desktop environment/window manager of your choice*"

also edit your .Xinitrc so "startx" would start the session of your choice, or install something like "sddm" if you don't want to edit .Xinitrc

21 hours ago, KuJoe said:

I used to use ArchBang as my main OS choice years ago but running a "bleeding edge" OS started causing too many problems for me so I went with Fedora for something more stable (I specifically hated it when the Arch Linux developers break functionality on something I used because they don't use it, next time I run pacman and boom broken software :(). The Arch Linux forums are comical though if you like watching elitist berate people trying to learn Arch Linux. 

yeah I noticed that in the forums are very brutal. 

I mostly used my googlefu and some reddit threads if.

So far everything is running fine and I have been enjoying it.

20 Year old Computing student who plays video games and fusses over how his PC looks in his free time

Spoiler

PC Specs

CPU: Intel Core i7 4670K - 4.4 GHz | MotherboardMSI Z77-G45 Gaming | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO - 128GB x 2 | GPU: MSI AMD Radeon 7950 | PSU: Corsair CX750m | Case: NZXT S340 | Cooling: Corsair H90 | MonitorAOC 22" Monitor | PeripheralsRazer Blackwidow Ultimate, Creative Soundblaster Rage Wireless and Logitech G502 | Operating System: Windows 10  Arch Linux (XFCE) 

Pictures and More Information Here