help with water cooling (noob to WC)

hi i aquired a corsair h80i from a friend before i had stock heat sink and fan.. spec run down before we proceed

cpu: intel i7 2700k (stock config (not OCed))

gpu: evga 650ti boost 

psu 730W

hdd: ssd (120GB), Hdd 3TB

Optical drive: 1X blu-ray burner

cooling system: corsair h80i

temps with load are as follows:

with stock,heatsink and fan 82oF

with h80i 120-125oF

ok so im having a temp issue im baffled by,(NOTE: from here on temps are at idle) with stock heatsink and fan i was getting consistent 77-81 oF with no oc just stock everything now i just installed a h80i and am getting rapidly changing temps from 84-100 oF sorry its not in oC but im more familiar with oF, i put down new thermal compound antec formula 7, and all screws i install in an X formation (screwing in one corner then going to the corner diagonal from it) with all tight but not overly tight, at about the same tightness, fans are setup to pull air from the case and push through the radiator then is push out of the case. am i missing something, or did i not do something right or is this normal? any answer is greatly appreciated as stated in title i am new to water cooling, so please be as specific as possible.

p.s. i am getting a performance increasement( with h80i) even with the change in temps oddly enough

8 minutes ago, deathblade666 said:

-SNIP-

Welcome to the Forums!

What are your load temps, at a max of 37C or 100F with the H80i is a bit high if that is your idle temps. I would recommend to remount the cooler if those are idle since almost always high idle temps are caused by a bad mount. 

For Computers in general, and the 6,600,000,000 people that live in a country other than the United States, Celcius is the SI unit for Temperature.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Idle temps are trickly because all it takes is one mouse click for enough CPU activity to drive the temps up. Make sure you're measuring idle correctly. That's why it makes more sense to measure load temps. 

Build Log - Liquid Black Fury

5 minutes ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

For Computers in general, and the 6,600,000,000 people that live in a country other than the United States, Celcius is the SI unit for Temperature.

Why does that even matter?

Idle temps are mid to high 80s so 30s Celsius to low 100 farinhieght Load is anywhere from 98-125 farinhieght, playing a mild game like deadpool it stays around 98-113 fairinhieght, I've reseated the cooler 5 times with same results, I've taken the stock CPU mounting mechanism completely off same results I don't get it, but like I said I do get better performance for what ever reason

4 hours ago, deathblade666 said:

Idle temps are mid to high 80s so 30s Celsius to low 100 farinhieght Load is anywhere from 98-125 farinhieght, playing a mild game like deadpool it stays around 98-113 fairinhieght, I've reseated the cooler 5 times with same results, I've taken the stock CPU mounting mechanism completely off same results I don't get it, but like I said I do get better performance for what ever reason

Sounds like a lack of mounting pressure which is not an uncommon issue seen on the H100i and H80i series on some motherboards, where trying out the washer mod using rubber washers which can take out some looseness:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=671101

8xtpxc.jpg  

1 hour ago, W-L said:

Sounds like a lack of mounting pressure which is not an uncommon issue seen on the H100i and H80i series on some motherboards, where trying out the washer mod using rubber washers which can take out some looseness:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=671101

8xtpxc.jpg  

Thanks will give it a try, might there be a list of motherboards that it had this issue with? I have a biostar tz77a but my asrock z77 extreme 4 will be in soon

So I just added washers or rather these rubber stickers from my thermaltake case fan I'm not using, and temps are better, not where I thought they'd be but better it's idling at around 30-33°C so 78-82°F ish and at full load it's at 109°F so like I said better but not quite what I was expecting

1 minute ago, deathblade666 said:

So I just added washers or rather these rubber stickers from my thermaltake case fan I'm not using, and temps are better, not where I thought they'd be but better it's idling at around 30-33°C so 78-82°F ish and at full load it's at 109°F so like I said better but not quite what I was expecting

That sounds about right at full load of 42C that's pretty good. 

OK so quick update, I upgrade to a gaming motherboard, got a new case, and added a some more spacers and now I got 71-77°F idle and 105°F running prime95 for nearly 15 minutes