MicroSoft terminates endeavor to bring Android apps to Windows 10 Mobile - Project Astoria is no more

source: https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2016/02/25/an-update-on-the-developer-opportunity-and-windows-10/

via: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10096/microsoft-ends-effort-to-bring-android-apps-to-windows-10-mobile

anyone recalls "Project Astoria"? it was aimed at bringing Android apps to the Windows ecosystem

sounded too good to be true? it was!

We also announced the Windows Bridge for Android (project “Astoria”) at Build last year, and some of you have asked about its status. We received a lot of feedback that having two Bridge technologies to bring code from mobile operating systems to Windows was unnecessary, and the choice between them could be confusing. We have carefully considered this feedback and decided that we would focus our efforts on the Windows Bridge for iOS and make it the single Bridge option for bringing mobile code to all Windows 10 devices, including Xbox and PCs. For those developers who spent time investigating the Android Bridge, we strongly encourage you to take a look at the iOS Bridge and Xamarin as great solutions.

at least it appears that they will go ahead with providing support for "Project Islandwood" - enables developers to bring Objective-C iOS apps to the Windows Store

if you followed with the news, this shouldn't be a surprise since MS decided, last year in October, to remove the Android runtime from the preview builds: 

It's a good move since Astoria is inferior to Islandwood in the first place.  Better focus their resources on the superior one.

And I'm sure the acquisition Xamarin played a role in this decision.

9 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Who didn't see this coming, with the legal issues and all.

Why would there be legal issues?  Blackberry is still doing this method with Blackberry 10.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

Just now, YamiYukiSenpai said:

It's a good move since Astoria is inferior to Islandwood in the first place.  Better focus their resources on the superior one.

And I'm sure the acquisition Xamarin played a role in this decision.

Why would there be legal issues?  Blackberry is still doing this method with Blackberry 10.

BlackBerry is a bit different here, since I believe their current OS is something like Android and they had all the proper shit for licensing.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Jstone said:

We are getting remix os here shorlty. Launch it as a vm and call it all good

does it matter, though? I mean, most of the apps that are on Android are on iOS (and vice versa).

9 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

BlackBerry is a bit different here, since I believe their current OS is something like Android and they had all the proper shit for licensing.

Blackberry 10 is not Linux-based.  And you don't need special licenses to create a porting software.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

Just now, YamiYukiSenpai said:

does it matter, though? I mean, most of the apps that are on Android are on iOS (and vice versa).

Blackberry 10 is not Linux-based.  And you don't need special licenses to create a porting software.

Yes it does because it will be nice

Windows phone is pretty much dead as far as I am concerned. Everything Microsoft has done with that platform has been too little too late and it really shows in their market share! Look at Windows 10 Mobile itself and the massive amount of issues that it has running even on Microsoft's flagship devices. They basically released Beta software and called it a day, which is a shitty way to treat its fanbase in my opinion. Their total lack of any sort of app support is the reason the platform is failing, and their solution to port apps over doesn't actually solve the problem anyways. It's just a shitty solution to the fact that no one is interested in their platform and no one wants to code for it. Much like Windows RT this will be a complete disaster.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

@GoodBytesI knew something was up. And now this.................. .

14 hours ago, beebskadoo said:

Windows phone is pretty much dead as far as I am concerned. Everything Microsoft has done with that platform has been too little too late and it really shows in their market share! Look at Windows 10 Mobile itself and the massive amount of issues that it has running even on Microsoft's flagship devices. They basically released Beta software and called it a day, which is a shitty way to treat its fanbase in my opinion. Their total lack of any sort of app support is the reason the platform is failing, and their solution to port apps over doesn't actually solve the problem anyways. It's just a shitty solution to the fact that no one is interested in their platform and no one wants to code for it. Much like Windows RT this will be a complete disaster.

No it won't be. they won't let that happen.

I couldn't switch to Android. I really don't like it. Like almost super hardcore.

So that leaves me with an iPhone or Surface Phone as being my next Phone. Not gonna happen anytime soon but still important nonetheless.

I don't want to use an IPhone as my daily phone.  But I think i'll have a choice.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Another reason not to buy any Windows Phone. A shame as their phones looks nice but the apps is the lacking thing.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

6 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Another reason not to buy any Windows Phone. A shame as their phones looks nice but the apps is the lacking thing.

Unless your playing games on your phone or do banking on your phone (which I doubt) then you'll be fine.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Unless your playing games on your phone or do banking on your phone (which I doubt) then you'll be fine.

Yes, I do play games and do banking, but I also watch TV live on my Android which the app is not for Windows Phone.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

2 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Yes, I do play games and do banking, but I also watch TV live on my Android which the app is not for Windows Phone.

The most "mainstream" games are covered but games made by idiotic devs are nowhere to be found on WP. (The ones idiotic enough to not have it on WP)

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

There are many more apps missing, stsrting from Wolfram Alpha and different language apps. And banking apps, at least in my country, are supported on Win mobile in at least bigger banks if I'm not wrong. Interesting that they lack such support in other countries. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Just now, Bouzoo said:

There are many more apps missing, stsrting from Wolfram Alpha and different language apps. And banking apps, at least in my country, are supported on Win mobile in at least bigger banks if I'm not wrong. Interesting that they lack such support in other countries. 

Not a single bank where I live has a WP app. Mainly I find it's just games and snapchat and my Local Observatory weather app and a Subway app and ferry app.

Apart from the above, I'm pretty much covered for apps. Games are a different story however.

Despite it will reduce the amount of app on the platform, it is a good move. Because Android subsystem is heavy (I don't mean it in a bad way, I mean that it is very complicated as it is powerful), at least for a phone.

Assuming it arrives now, all dev will not make a Win10 Mobile app, they'll just publish the Android version of the app, and call it a day, and all bugs reported that aren't on Android, they'll point the finger to the Bridge, and never fix it. let alone optimize the port.

So Win10 Mobile would be flooded with buggy, crappy apps, and most likely after 2-3 years, with bitching and moaning on the how the bridge sucks as it isn't this magic solution the dev thought it would be and require some level of minimal effort, will pull their app, and say that how it ruins their reputation or quality apps. But assuming that doesn't happen. The user will face with slow running apps, not very responsive, and buggy, they'll think that Windows 10 Mobile sucks.

The iOS bridge is smarter. The dev expects effort, and will do it if they are interested, and should do a decent job. The downside is that it doesn't support Swift, which already many big apps switched to. So, hopefully that is coming soon.