CSEC Handed Over Control Of Encryption Standards To NSA

RuecanOnRails

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/09/11/csec-nsa-encryption_n_3907748.html

Communications Security Establishment Canada — which is responsible for foreign electronic surveillance but is speculated to be spying on Canadians as well — handed over control of an international encryption standard to the NSA, allowing the agency build a “backdoor” to decrypt data, the Times reports.

The information is part of the massive trove of previously secret NSA data leaked to the press earlier this year by Edward Snowden.

For everyone who continuously keeps brushing the NSA America's grasp on the world as being an issue faced purely by Americans. This article might be worth a read. While it's mainly about the NSA building backdoors to decrypt Canadian data and monitoring, the underlining portion of the article highlights the manner of exploiting national laws through "loop-holes" to spy on countries which are supposed to be out of reach.

It's essentially various national government agencies who are not allowed by law to spy on their own citizen, exploiting partnerships with other nations by spying on each other. Then sharing/exchanging the data behind closed doors for "mutual gain".

Even if the CSEC is not spying on Canadians, its partner organizations are capable of doing that for them.

The CSEC is part of a network of electronic spying organizations that has existed since the 1940s, known as ECHELON or the “Five Eyes.” Besides Canada, it includes the U.S, Britain, Australia and New Zealand.

Many analysts believe the network acts as a way of getting around laws that prevent countries from spying on its own citizens, by having partner countries do the spying.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

And I thought Canada was safe.. call me a fool all you want now.

EDIT: and thinking of which, IS there anywhere safe?