google chromebooks coming with haswell

ShiverMePenguins
New Chromebooks with Haswell chips were announced as Google was waiting for Intel’s next-generation chips to ship. The devices bring more performance and better battery life.

2013_chrome_group_no_bg_800.png

Chromebooks were designed to make computers faster, simpler, safer and much more affordable for everyone. Over the past year, with the launch of Chromebooks by a number of our partners for as low as $199, they have become the go-to laptop for many people. We’re pleased to see consumers, schools and businesses react positively to Chromebooks. Research firm NPD says Chromebooks represent 20-25% of the $300-or-less computer segment. In education, more than 5,000 schools have deployed Chromebooks for their students, representing more than 20% of school districts in the US.

But while both Google and Intel were happy to announce the four new devices on Wednesday, neither company offered up hardware, pricing, or firm release details — Google says the hardware will go on sale in the coming months. Still, the A step up from Atom and ARM move to Haswell is a step up for Chrome devices. Up to this point, Chromebooks have been strictly low-cost laptops — outside of Google's flagship Pixel of course. Part of what's kept prices down has been the use of cheaper processors such as Intel's Atom chips, known for their ubiquity in netbooks, or ARM processors, the likes of which are used in tablets. In addition, most Chromebooks thus far have used lower resolution displays and inexpensive plastic bodies.

there is no definitive information if there will be a chromebook pixel with haswell cpu's, but its good to know that google is pushing for their devices to stay up to date. another interesting thing is Asus has stepped up to the plate to produce chromebooks in attempt to offset reduced sales of windows based computers. one interesting thing about chrome os is that google has dedicated servers to assist with computing, but i can't justify the system till they release a pixel with at least 7-8 hours of battery life and better os support.

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/11/new-google-chromebooks-coming-with-intel-haswell-chips/

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2013/09/a-fresh-mix-of-intel-based-chromebooks.html

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/11/4719138/google-intel-haswell-new-chromebooks

The pixel was just stupid.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

it was actually amazing, but the os was too new, and the battery life wasn't that great.

but with the constant updates, and the newer generations hardware it would be a great system to have.  and think about it, most people use computers for glorified web browsing and blogging. the pixel has that. broadband for blogging anywhere, 3:2 screen for webrowsing, and great support for email producivity.

it was actually amazing, but the os was too new, and the battery life wasn't that great.

but with the constant updates, and the newer generations hardware it would be a great system to have.  and think about it, most people use computers for glorified web browsing and blogging. the pixel has that. broadband for blogging anywhere, 3:2 screen for webrowsing, and great support for email producivity.

Yeah but it was $1300...

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

The pixel wasn't designed for consumers. There is no point saying anything about it from your perspective.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Glad that they used Haswell instead of Atom processors. And btw the image link is down. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

wait wouldnt this mean that you could put another OS on these chromebooks? like windows or linux or something?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I would like to be able to run .exe files on chrome OS as well as dual boot it with Ubuntu. I hope they will add these abilities in or at least make it to where you can install these to a server for your computer and be able to run it off of that.

Back from the dead....

wait wouldnt this mean that you could put another OS on these chromebooks? like windows or linux or something?

No u can't natively its locked to chrome os only but there are some "hacks" for certain models that allow u to put other os's on

I still don't get the whole chromebook thing. The OS isn't that powerful, the hardware isn't really worth it, and there are enough compatibility issues to make run of the mill consumers decide against it (lack of familiar windows applications+consumer resistance to change isn't a good combo). Google almost could've made an ARM-based notebook running a mouse/keyboard optimized android OS and been done with it. AFAIK, Chrome OS can't do anything that Android OS can't.

The most appealing thing about chromebooks is their price, but even that isn't always justified.

It would be nice if they unlocked it, I know I have like 5 extra windows 7/vista keys that are collecting dust.

No u can't natively its locked to chrome os only but there are some "hacks" for certain models that allow u to put other os's on

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I still don't get the whole chromebook thing. The OS isn't that powerful, the hardware isn't really worth it, and there are enough compatibility issues to make run of the mill consumers decide against it (lack of familiar windows applications+consumer resistance to change isn't a good combo). Google almost could've made an ARM-based notebook running a mouse/keyboard optimized android OS and been done with it. AFAIK, Chrome OS can't do anything that Android OS can't.

The most appealing thing about chromebooks is their price, but even that isn't always justified.

because the os and hardware don't need to be powerful. quite a bit of the heavy lifting is done on dedicated servers. its a new os, but still has its own perks. constant seamless updates (almost nightly build logs released), a minimalist operating system, integrated security, cloud based data storage, seameless and beautiful app menu, and more.

yes, it has many downsides, but its new.

I've been seeing $200 Acer aspire c7's at WalMart lately. Seems great for someone looking for a mobile budget notebook.

I've been seeing $200 Acer aspire c7's at WalMart lately. Seems great for someone looking for a mobile budget notebook.

exactly. and at those screen sizes, 1366x768 isn't that bad.

granted, the biggest plus, and biggest downside is the fact that you can't natively run exe files easily whatsoever. it makes league of legends impossible to play :c

It would be nice if they unlocked it, I know I have like 5 extra windows 7/vista keys that are collecting dust.

yea it would but everyone would just buy them instead of windows laptops as they are fare less expensive and delivery relatively the same performance as a windows laptop and i think they want chrome os to become like windows