Why can't I find OLED TVs smaller than 55"?

wbierman

Hello.  When OLED was first being developed, I remember the problem being how to replicate the technology on large scales.  There was a six figure OLED TV released some years ago that was ~20" if I remember correctly.

Why is it that when I go looking for an OLED TV in the 37"-44" range, I cannot find any, let alone a 4K one?  I realize some may feel that the reason there are no 4K in that size may be that you have to have a larger screen to benefit from the increased resolution.  But I am very happy with my 27" 4K computer monitors from ASUS.

Thanks!

It hasn't even really come to market yet as far as I know.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

It wouldn't be sense on a cost level. OLEDs carry a pretty hefty price premium, so most people who are going to be paying that premium will want a 55"+ tv. 

Also, understand that there is a difference between a 4k 28" monitor and a 4k 40" TV and that is viewing distance. To be able to differentiate 4k from 1080p video on a 40" screen you would need to be like 3 feet away (most people don't sit close to their tv's like you would with a monitor). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The price is not that exorbitant.  On the LG website there is a 55" OLED TV for $2k.  My Samsung LED TV I bought at Costco about eight years ago was $1400 when I bought it and is less than $400 now for the equivalent model.  To me that is on the verge of moving from enthusiast to mainstream level.

TV manufacturers obviously still make TVs in the high 30" to low 40" range, and it stands to reason that a smaller TV (be it OLED or anything else) would be cheaper than the larger sized equivalent, I'm not sure the high price argument makes sense.

Have any TV manufacturers actually said that this is the reason?

2 hours ago, wbierman said:

The price is not that exorbitant.  On the LG website there is a 55" OLED TV for $2k.  My Samsung LED TV I bought at Costco about eight years ago was $1400 when I bought it and is less than $400 now for the equivalent model.  To me that is on the verge of moving from enthusiast to mainstream level.

TV manufacturers obviously still make TVs in the high 30" to low 40" range, and it stands to reason that a smaller TV (be it OLED or anything else) would be cheaper than the larger sized equivalent, I'm not sure the high price argument makes sense.

Have any TV manufacturers actually said that this is the reason?

TV manufacturers generally don't make <55" versions of their flagship models. Whether it be because not enough people would buy a smaller version (because the person buying a flagship model probably wants a bigger tv) or because manufacturers wouldn't be able to charge enough for a 40" model for it to make sense so this why buyers are forced to the 55" version (@$1700 most buyers of the 40" version would just step up to the 55" version). A lot of the cost of products comes from RnD, machine tooling, and marketing and not necessarily the raw/final product itself. 

But no, I don't think manufacturers have ever officially said why they don't produce smaller versions of their flagships. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I see.  So do you think we may eventually see the smaller models?

In time there will be smaller models of OLED tvs, however, I'm not sure when this will happen.

1 hour ago, wbierman said:

I see.  So do you think we may eventually see the smaller models?

Eventually, although I could only take a shot in the dark at when that would be. My best guess would be one-two years. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler