970 or 980?

PyroBlast13

So im trying to decide if I should go for the GTX 970 save up a little more for the 980 but i'm not sure how much more performance ill be getting any help?

1 minute ago, PyroBlast13 said:

So im trying to decide if I should go for the GTX 970 save up a little more for the 980 but i'm not sure how much more performance ill be getting any help?

What are you trying to do? If you get lucky, a 970 can basically perform like a 980 with 75% of the vram with a nice overclock. Otherwise a 390 or an r9 nano wouldn't be that bad of an idea.

ASU

Just now, Digital_ said:

GPUBoss is not a valid comparison website.

Basically OP, the GTX 970 will play games fine at 1080p Ultra.

The GTX 980 is more suited for 1440p.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, Digital_ said:

please dont ever use GPUBoss

980 will always be faster than the 970

and the 980 uses all 4GB VRAM where the 970 can use up to 3.5GB and the 0.5 is slower

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Just now, Hackentosher said:

What are you trying to do? If you get lucky, a 970 can basically perform like a 980 with 75% of the vram with a nice overclock. Otherwise a 390 or an r9 nano wouldn't be that bad of an idea.

Well for this computer ill just be playing games, watching tv and doing some editing on also probably some video editing. 

you might wanna wait for the new cards this year and the prices will drop.

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Just now, jcw150 said:

Actually what resolution do you play games at?

1080p right now.

2 minutes ago, PyroBlast13 said:

1080p right now.

GTX 970/R9 390 would be the best bang for buck then.

You can basically play most games on Ultra at 1080p 60FPS.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

You can basically play most games on Ultra at 1080p.

do that unless you plan to upgrade monitors in the next 2 months

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I'm definitely not disappointed in my 980, but it all depends on your res and budget to be honest. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Or just google 970 vs 980 benchmark if you want real-world benchmarks. Userbenchmark was synthetic IIRC, so it would be easier to estimate the performance you will get against what you are hoping for with a real-world one.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

6 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

You can basically play most games on Ultra at 1080p 60FPS.

Not really. The Division, ROTTR, and even  the me Hitman game require more to run at 60fps. A overclocked 970 comes close though.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

29 minutes ago, PyroBlast13 said:

What about the R9 390X??

38 minutes ago, PyroBlast13 said:

Try and get a 980 from somewhere like EVGA B stock where it isn't that much more expensive than a 970 but will give you better performance. Here's one for under $400 http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-2983-RX

44 minutes ago, App4that said:

Not really. The Division, ROTTR, and even  the me Hitman game require more to run at 60fps. A overclocked 970 comes close though.

Hence the word 'most'.

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Hence the word 'most'.

That's the last few titles. If you can't run the titles being released when you buy the card, what hope do you have to run them in a year? 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

980... call me biased :P

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

2 hours ago, Digital_ said:

No. Stop.

2 hours ago, PyroBlast13 said:

Is the 980TI completely out of the question? I feel like it's an awkward time to buy a card if not the 980TI. The 980 is a little expensive for what it is and the 970 is the 970... Maybe grab a 970 and sell it down the road for a 980TI or Pascal? I would go for 390 if you don't need Nvidia and want a slightly better card than the 970.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

10 hours ago, Kryptyx said:

No. Stop.

Is the 980TI completely out of the question? I feel like it's an awkward time to buy a card if not the 980TI. The 980 is a little expensive for what it is and the 970 is the 970... Maybe grab a 970 and sell it down the road for a 980TI or Pascal? I would go for 390 if you don't need Nvidia and want a slightly better card than the 970.

Yes, I get it. You and about 5 other people already quoted me on it. Sorry.