So have you guys ever been really attached to a PC part you worked on?

So have you guys ever been really attached to a specific piece of work you did in a PC? Well, that is kinda how I feel about my videocard's backplate and waterblock.

I spent quite a long time making the EK waterblock look nice on the side with the red section and the red/black design on the backplate, and the red lights inside the pump with the painted pump body and motor heatsink.

LTdsm1F.jpg

I will need to remove both of them to do the passively cooled project and I really do not want to see them just sit on a shelf :(

I could sell them as a set (which I actually am) but it does not seem that anyone wants to buy it. So at this point, I am almost contemplating scrapping the passive project just because I really do not want to see my handiwork go to waste :(

What do you guys think?

3 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

You could always build a second PC around them.

I am not sure I would have the need for it, unless I build a PC to sell on craigslist, and then there is the obvious outcome of nobody wanting to buy it unless they lowball me severely

I never have

ever

it's an inanimate object

I've put so much work into my current PC(not as much as you though,) re-building it, switching parts, adding parts, ect. But I would totally sell my PC and build a new one if I was given the chance. Why? For MORE POWER! I think you should take it apart, simply because your passive cooling project already has work in it. It would be more of a waste to scrap that than the water block and back plate.

I used to be quite active here.

1 minute ago, Kobathor said:

I never have

ever

it's an inanimate object

I've put so much work into my current PC(not as much as you though,) re-building it, switching parts, adding parts, ect. But I would totally sell my PC and build a new one if I was given the chance. Why? For MORE POWER! I think you should take it apart, simply because your passive cooling project already has work in it. It would be more of a waste to scrap that than the water block and back plate.

I guess, but then where would this stuff go? @Iamdarkbowser has a 290x which spews heat like a mofo (and this block would fit on it) but the friggin build is blue. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to change though. 

But that kid already owes me money

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

I guess, but then where would this stuff go? @Iamdarkbowser has a 290x which spews heat like a mofo (and this block would fit on it) but the friggin build is blue. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to change though. 

But that kid already owes me money

lol

I dunno. Being red it would probably be a bit hard to sell, I guess. Does he have interest in a custom loop?

1 minute ago, Kobathor said:

lol

I dunno. Being red it would probably be a bit hard to sell, I guess. Does he have interest in a custom loop?

Definitely but he has no source of income

I do not think your basic components are a good fit for a 100% passive build. The lower the tdp, the easier cooling and other component selection will be. If i would build a passive computer, I would probably start with getting an energy efficient components like the intel skylake T-processor (i3/i5/i7), Alpine 11-Passive or better and try to find a nvidia 950 with passive cooling. But cooling 215 Watt passively will be a big task so maybe your best bet would be a palit 750ti 2GB passively cooled gpu (standard available in stores) in combination with an msi eco motherboard (which has software which let you optimize powerusage by shutting off multiple features).

Definitely but he has no source of income

Oh. That's inconvenient.

2 minutes ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

I do not think your basic components are a good fit for a 100% passive build. The lower the tdp, the easier cooling and other component selection will be. If i would build a passive computer, I would probably start with getting an energy efficient components like the intel skylake T-processor (i3/i5/i7) and try to find a nvidia 950 with passive cooling. But cooling 215 Watt passively will be a big task so maybe your best bet would be a palit 750ti 2GB passively cooled gpu (standard available in stores) in combination with an msi eco motherboard (which has software which let you optimize powerusage by shutting off multiple features).

This is why I am trying to sell the 390x and go for an r9 nano. I have over 50 computer heatsinks and like 30 copper heatpipes. I think I can cool the existing system with what I have, but I agree, these parts are pretty much the dumbest ones to choose for this

?

*Hardware Swap, it's a subreddit for selling computer parts- I sold almost my entire PC last night to afford my Mini-ITX conversion.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

1 minute ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

*Hardware Swap, it's a subreddit for selling computer parts- I sold almost my entire PC last night to afford my Mini-ITX conversion.

Hmm..... Thats a thought I guess. At this point I would probably trade my WC loop and videocard for a nano or fury/fury x

Hmm..... Thats a thought I guess. At this point I would probably trade my WC loop and videocard for a nano or fury/fury x

Try posting there, it is easy and free- plus there are always tons of people on there all the time.

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

Just now, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Try posting there, it is easy and free- plus there are always tons of people on there all the time.

I guess I will have to try it at home, reddit is halfway blocked here

redddddddddd.PNG.405af0e96a5a2c256e88550

I guess I will have to try it at home, reddit is halfway blocked here

redddddddddd.PNG.405af0e96a5a2c256e88550

Try using ultra surf for chrome.

18 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Also this thread seems to have been derailed. Oh well

Meh a bit. Your 390 setup is extremely well done, I can understand the attachment.

I've held on to my original Voodoo 3 for purely sentimental reasons. Especially since the last motherboard I had that could run it finally died.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.