Professor giving out false information

mralexkohl1993

So guys I have a problem. I'm in a I.T. Course at one of my local technical colleges and the professor I have just doesn't know. He gives out false information all the time. Like one day when I corrected him in class and had an argument it was about sata 6 gb per second. He said that mechanical hard drives should be plugged into it or they won't operate to their full potential. I was just like no. Sata 2 doesn't hit the theoretical throughput of what a mechanical hard drive can supply so why use sata 3? He just argued and argued. Today he told a student I shit you not "hyper threading means that a CPU has 8 logical cores" I didn't say anything. He said that within each core itself is 2 cores that have their own L1 cache and share L2 cache between the 2 cores then have L3 cache for all the cores to share. I'm just like wtf.jpg He also tried telling me that you can have a motherboard with just 3 ram slots that can run in triple channel. Not 6 like on 1366 but just 3 I'm like wtf. He also tried telling me that you need a 50% headroom in a power supply. So if your system consumes 600 watts it should be at least 900 watts and this is for "power surges" 300 watts for power surges wat. 

I don't know what to do about this. The guy is smart in some respects but other I'm just like why is he teaching. I feel like I should approach a higher up because students shouldn't be getting the wrong information when they are paying this kind of money for an education. 

Hyper threading is a software functionality. Hyper-threading allows each core to run two threads. However the hyper-threaded processes run in between read/writes from and to RAM, which is what the extra cache is for. Though programs do recognize threads as logical cores. In that regard, he is correct. As for SATAIII and SATAII, if you plug a SATAIII hard drive into a SATAII port, you will not notice a difference. In fact, you could probably plug it into a SATAI port and you wouldn't notice a difference, because SATAIII hard drives still don't utilize SATAI to its fullest potential.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

As the guy from planet Mars said. ^^

And also, quit this thing right NOW !

Or report him to the concerned authorities.

Stop bloating nonsense, and reason to contribute in a constructive manner.

I want to go, tie him up, put him in a closet, and get the WHOLE LTT FORUM to teahc that class. That man speaks bull..

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

We should all email him, everyone on the ltt forum and just correct him and cal him mean names like stuipidface and tell him to resign 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

While I admit he sounds dumb as he is wrong about everything else, he is kinda right and kinda not about the triple channel motherboards.

There are two versions of LGA 1366 socket motherboards, one has 4 DIMM Slots and one has 6 DIMM Slots. The 6 one is for 2 setups of Triple Channel RAM, as you mentioned.

The 4 DIMM Slot version is for a single Triple Channel setup and a single Single Channel setup:

nehalembuild_012_full.jpg

Then there are 3 DIMM Slot motherboards which he is probably thinking of when he says that:

1216_p1_3.jpg

But those are ancient (DDR RAM) and do not support Triple Channel setups.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

My IT teacher from a few years ago was worse.

• Adobe is malware because it updates.
  • 'SSDs' are used in phones
  • open source means things like google docs
  • she wouldnt know what a cpu was if you were to ask her 
  • I doubt she would even know what hertz are
  • SATA, whats that
  • computers overheat if you leave them switched on overnight
  • The computer itself is called the hard drive

Build Log: Monochrome

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H | Graphics Card: Asus HD 7970 DirectCU II | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | PSU: Corsair CXM 600 | Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB,2 Seagate Baracuda 3TB | Case: Corsair 350D Window

I'd go to higher channels, directly quote him, and then provide actual fact, proving that he is giving out false information, and that he shouldnt be teaching if he isnt properly trained in what he is teaching.

He will only cause more problems the longer he is left in that class teaching wrong, and if no1 stands up, everyone falls.

Do something about it, and help your fellow man-tech's!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Hyper threading is a software functionality. Hyper-threading allows each core to run two threads. However the hyper-threaded processes run in between read/writes from and to RAM, which is what the extra cache is for. Though programs do recognize threads as logical cores. In that regard, he is correct. As for SATAIII and SATAII, if you plug a SATAIII hard drive into a SATAII port, you will not notice a difference. In fact, you could probably plug it into a SATAI port and you wouldn't notice a difference, because SATAIII hard drives still don't utilize SATAI to its fullest potential.

no they arent logical they are theoretical.... completely different 

no they arent logical they are theoretical.... completely different 

Each thread is counted as a logical core. This includes the threads you get without hyper-threading.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

My IT teacher from a few years ago was worse.

• Adobe is malware because it updates.
  • 'SSDs' are used in phones
  • open source means things like google docs
  • she wouldnt know what a cpu was if you were to ask her 
  • I doubt she would even know what hertz are
  • SATA, whats that
  • computers overheat if you leave them switched on overnight
  • The computer itself is called the hard drive

*looks for book of all my knowledge* Where is this teacher?

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Gosh. Thanked god my IT teacher when I was in Primary school only taught me how to touch type...

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

Each thread is counted as a logical core. This includes the threads you get without hyper-threading.

yes but he is saying that within a a core is 2 cores.... hyperthreading doesnt work that way

yes but he is saying that within a a core is 2 cores.... hyperthreading doesnt work that way

Now I see what you're saying. However, a hyper-threaded core is also a logical core, since it's just another thread.

Now I see what you're saying. However, a hyper-threaded core is also a logical core, since it's just another thread.

yes i understand but im saying that its not a real core as he describes it 

yes i understand but im saying that its not a real core as he describes it 

You are correct.

teahc 

I am sure you will be a great gramma teacher :P

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

I am sure you will be a great gramma teacher :P

I am sure you meant grammar*. :P

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

i have only had ONE IT teacher that i havent had to correct multiple times daily....i feel like i should be teaching the class

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

Most IT and engineering professors give out incorrect information all the time related to tech.  This is due to the fact that they have been, for the most part, disconnected from industry for years and stuff changes so fast.  It also doesn't help that a lot are arrogant by nature and think that reading 2 paragraphs on something instantly makes them an expert.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

I am sure you meant grammar*. :P

I didn't say i was a great teacher..

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

Most IT and engineering professors give out incorrect information all the time related to tech.  This is due to the fact that they have been, for the most part, disconnected from industry for years and stuff changes so fast.  It also doesn't help that a lot are arrogant by nature and think that reading 2 paragraphs on something instantly makes them an expert.

This. This. This.

This is why YOU SHOULD go to a higher up... make a change for the better. Hell, use the quote ^ there, although it wont be received well, it applies.

Should the OP take this further so PAYING students can actually LEARN some facts instead of "Opinionated fact"?

How should it be taken further, what are the best channels and way to do so, anonymous or not...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I think it'd be worth it to at least have some kind of discussion with a higher up, it doesn't help much that many people don't bother to really learn in-depth about the devices that they use everyday, but when the people who do want to learn that are being taught outdated or varying degrees of inaccurate information, I think something should be done about it.