Need help setting up BIOS, Installing Windows 8 and Overclocking CPU/GPU

98Redbird

Hey guys, I am putting a build together i7 4770k, Asus Sabertooth Z87, Geforce GTX 780 are the main pieces. However, while physically building and picking out parts is easy enough, setting up is very confusing to me.

I am curious if there are any good tutorials out there regarding how I should configure my BIOS, how I should install Windows 8 Pro and how to overclock and generally get this build running top notch.

I apologize for the newb question, but I am really interested in learning how to set up and tune all of this. The idea of tinkering sounds like a lot of fun to me, but right now, I'm afraid I would just screw it all up with no knowledge of it.

Thanks

4770k@4.7Ghz--Asus Sabertooth Z87--(2)GTX SC 780 (SLI)--Corsair Vengeance 16GB--Corsiar 860i--Samsung SSD 128GB X 2--Corsair 900d--Custom Water Cooled

Thanks!

4770k@4.7Ghz--Asus Sabertooth Z87--(2)GTX SC 780 (SLI)--Corsair Vengeance 16GB--Corsiar 860i--Samsung SSD 128GB X 2--Corsair 900d--Custom Water Cooled

Ok here is an updated version of Linus tutorial:

-> Make sure that your SATA controller where your HDD/SSD is set to 'AHCI' mode.

-> Set XMP (eXtreme Memory Profile) to 'Profile 1' (not default).

-> Set HPET to 'Enabled'.

-> Set HPET Mode to '64-bit mode', if you will be installing a 64-bit OS.

-> Set Secure Boot to 'Disabled'.

-> Enable UEFI

-> Enable CSM (Compatibility Support Module). This is needed else your system will not boot, as of right now, your graphic card is not GOP (Graphics Output Protocol) ready.

How to get fast boot (boot Windows 8 in ~6sec)?

You need to make your graphic card GOP ready. To do this, go to the manufacture website of your graphic card (ASUS. MSI, etc..), and download the latest firmware (aka: vBIOS) for your graphic card. Make sure it is marked for UEFI/GOP support.

NOTE:

• You cannot revert to an older graphic card firmware.
  • A GOP ready graphic card will NOT function on an old BIOS based system, or non-fully supported UEFI system.
  • Read carefully the instruction given on how to update the graphic card, as you can brick it, much like a BIOS/UEFI update for your motherboard, if it doesn't have a method to recover the BIOS/UEFI.

Once done, Disable CSM (Compatibility Support Module) in the UEFI setup screen.