1080p Gaming Rig

Hi guys and girls

I'm making this post to do 2 things 1st introducing myself here :) and 2nd asking for some help

I want you to help me (if you'd like) build a gaming rig, the thing is that i don't like / feel comfortable using a monitor with a resolution greater than 1080p, and every single guide i found its trying to make a pc with a resolution of 4k

Also i would like the build to be "future proof" and i'm not picky about nvidia/ati or amd / intel, budget is not much of an issue, i think this build is not going to be expensive (maybe i'm wrong)

First of all, welcome to the fourms!

Second, what's your budget and does that include peripherals and a monitor?

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

whalecome to the forum :D

do you plan on overclocking your cpu or gpu?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

8 minutes ago, DNSilver said:

Hi guys and girls

What budget?

Where does one even get parts in Columbia?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 hours ago, DNSilver said:

Hi guys and girls

I'm making this post to do 2 things 1st introducing myself here :) and 2nd asking for some help

I want you to help me (if you'd like) build a gaming rig, the thing is that i don't like / feel comfortable using a monitor with a resolution greater than 1080p, and every single guide i found its trying to make a pc with a resolution of 4k

Also i would like the build to be "future proof" and i'm not picky about nvidia/ati or amd / intel, budget is not much of an issue, i think this build is not going to be expensive (maybe i'm wrong)

Welcome child! And no computer can be future proof. Personally if you are only gaming at 1080P id recommend at least 8Gb ram something like a i5 or even i7 and something like a 960 or 970 ti with about like a 600-700 watt psu if you want to upgrade your system and dont want to upgrade the PSU as often. 

3 minutes ago, BailyStufins said:

970 ti

Might wanna edit that.

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

1080p gaming with R9 390/Gtx 970 ( both will cost almost same and perform similar i added r9 390 in the list but if you want you can go with Gtx 970 not a huge difference )

Budget 6th gen : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Rs63qs
 Budget 4th gen : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NGmyvK

1080p gaming with R9 380/Gtx 960 ( both will cost almost same and perform similar i added Gtx 960 in the list but if you want you can go with R9 380 not a huge difference )

Budget 4th gen : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BtmyvK
 Budget 6th gen : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MWn3qs

Note : not in budget , want a PC which is a help you in long run and also bad ... looking

Non O.C ( recommend to paint stock cooler with spray paint ) (Red in Black): http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mrxh4D
 O.C (Red in Black) : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MQzmnQ
 O.C (white in black) : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jMpdpg
 For extra modding you can spray paint your SSD buy be careful about painting , don't spary on the outlet where your sata and power cable is going to be connected, just cover that area and than use spray paint.

First off, welcome to the wonderful land of the ltt forums :) 

Second, I'm going to assume that you want a mid range gaming pc as you did not list budget or use. As this is the case I'm going to give some suggestions rather than full on giving you a parts list

• for a cpu I reccomend a skylake i5 6500. It's a good mid range chip that will give you new Intel features and ddr4 support which will add the the 'future proof app ect of the build. Also consider waiting for AMDs zen CPUs as they will probably offer similar features to skylake and will most likely have compelling now features. 
  • So long as you go skylake, just get a good h170 board from any reputable manufacturer like asus, MSI or asrock. Obviously I can't give a reccomendation for a new unreleased amd motherboard 
  • Ram is easy just get 8gb of 2133ddr4 from a good manufacturer with a heatsync design that you like 
  • for a gpu either go for a 950 or 380x (depending on how much you want to spend) or a 390 or 970 if you want to step up to 1440p or non demanding games like csgo at 4K. The 390 is probably the better choice there. 
  • Your best bet for storage is a 240gb SSD and a 1tb HDD. You can throw more storage in in the future but this is a good place to start. Seagate barracuda and WD blue drives are both good. Samsung 850evo drives are good as your SSD solution. 
  • The case is up to you. I can only give some good reccomendations based on what I like. The nzxt s210 is a good budget option and comes in a windowed version for a few bucks more. The s340 is a good mid tower option. If you want to strive for silence then take a look at the fractal design define r5 or the define nano. If the nano is too big then look at the silver stone sg13. 
  • Psu will depend on what you get for a gpu mainly and what your budget is. Corsairs CXM cerise is good for budget and seasonics OEM units are good if you done care about eye looks. In fact the s340s PSU guard will hide it. If you want something higher end look at the seasonics fabless models or corsairs RMX series. 
  • The stock cooler will be fine for a stock cup but if you want to get an overclockable chip the hyper 212 evo is a good pick for a budget. If you have a bit more money to throw at cooling the Noctua nhd15 and the nhu14 are good. Maybe replace the case fans with Noctua nff12 and nfa14 

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133

Thanks for the quick replys guys, and answering questions in order, sry I forgot specify those things previously:

1) My budget is around $ 1000 usd including peripherals (Basic ones for the moment when i have more money later on I'd buy better ones) and a monitor

2) No OC I think for a 4k would be recommendable but for my case i think not :P

3) Here in Bogota / Colombia (not Columbia) we have a tech district (small one though) and also we can import things lol

4) That's why i quoted "future proof" i know that no such thing exists hahaha but you can buy some components that can be upgraded later on

You assumed well it's a mid range gaming pc because of the "low" resolution, i'm also a software developer so that pc would be perfect for that as well

On 24/2/2016 at 1:52 AM, BurblingBarbacoa said:

First off, welcome to the wonderful land of the ltt forums :) 

Second, I'm going to assume that you want a mid range gaming pc as you did not list budget or use. As this is the case I'm going to give some suggestions rather than full on giving you a parts list

• for a cpu I reccomend a skylake i5 6500. It's a good mid range chip that will give you new Intel features and ddr4 support which will add the the 'future proof app ect of the build. Also consider waiting for AMDs zen CPUs as they will probably offer similar features to skylake and will most likely have compelling now features. 
  • So long as you go skylake, just get a good h170 board from any reputable manufacturer like asus, MSI or asrock. Obviously I can't give a reccomendation for a new unreleased amd motherboard 
  • Ram is easy just get 8gb of 2133ddr4 from a good manufacturer with a heatsync design that you like 
  • for a gpu either go for a 950 or 380x (depending on how much you want to spend) or a 390 or 970 if you want to step up to 1440p or non demanding games like csgo at 4K. The 390 is probably the better choice there. 
  • Your best bet for storage is a 240gb SSD and a 1tb HDD. You can throw more storage in in the future but this is a good place to start. Seagate barracuda and WD blue drives are both good. Samsung 850evo drives are good as your SSD solution. 
  • The case is up to you. I can only give some good reccomendations based on what I like. The nzxt s210 is a good budget option and comes in a windowed version for a few bucks more. The s340 is a good mid tower option. If you want to strive for silence then take a look at the fractal design define r5 or the define nano. If the nano is too big then look at the silver stone sg13. 
  • Psu will depend on what you get for a gpu mainly and what your budget is. Corsairs CXM cerise is good for budget and seasonics OEM units are good if you done care about eye looks. In fact the s340s PSU guard will hide it. If you want something higher end look at the seasonics fabless models or corsairs RMX series. 
  • The stock cooler will be fine for a stock cup but if you want to get an overclockable chip the hyper 212 evo is a good pick for a budget. If you have a bit more money to throw at cooling the Noctua nhd15 and the nhu14 are good. Maybe replace the case fans with Noctua nff12 and nfa14 

I have this build picked what do you guys think? 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6p7P23

1 hour ago, DNSilver said:

I have this build picked what do you guys think? 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6p7P23

Good. Ditch the 32gb of ram and go for 8. Other than that you pare good. 

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133