Build planning. Pretty standard components, wondering about CPU though.

mrenusso

Hey guys,

First post here, but I've been a long time lurker !

I'm about to build a new small form factor system mainly for gaming and productivity.

I've settled for this right now, but I'm still wondering whether a E3-1230-V2 wouldn't be better and more future-proof ?

What do you think ?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($223.79 @ Amazon)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.02 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($405.36 @ Amazon)

Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case

Power Supply: Fractal Design Tesla R2 500W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V Power Supply

Total: $829.16

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-25 00:40 EST-0500)

EDIT : I already have storage : samsung 830 128GB and 2TB seagate barracuda

Two things I see wrong, You do not need 16GB of ram for Productivity or Gaming, and nothing is future proof so do not try to plan for it. Just do small upgrades now and then or do what I do and build a new computer every 2 years and you will be fine. I set a budget and build a 900-1000 dollar computer every two years and they work perfect for about two years then games get two hard for them. Other than that looks good, Like the case and SSD, I have build and or use both. :-)

Computer: CPU: Intel i7 3770k 4.2 GHz, Processor Cooling: Corsair 100i,  Video Card: ASUS Geforce GTX 660ti, Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77 V PRO, Power Supply: corsiar AX750, Hard Drive: Toshiba 2TB, Case Fans: Bitfenix Specter x 2, Case: Phantom

Oh I forgot to mention that I run 2 to 3 VMs almost all the time for work / certifications. So I kinda need the 16 GB of RAM. Thanks for the advice nonetheless. Now let's wait for my bonus next month and order this baby !
Oh, ok 16GB of good to have anyway. Some people just don't need it seeing as you might always good to have to much that not enough if you have the money. Good luck!

Computer: CPU: Intel i7 3770k 4.2 GHz, Processor Cooling: Corsair 100i,  Video Card: ASUS Geforce GTX 660ti, Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77 V PRO, Power Supply: corsiar AX750, Hard Drive: Toshiba 2TB, Case Fans: Bitfenix Specter x 2, Case: Phantom

It seems, good I5 good choice, most games don't take hold of extra hyper threading yet so, good choice! Also it overclocks nicely with that d14 :)

Looks good. I'm not familiar with that cases dimensions so just check that it will accomodate that cooler. Other than that looks good :)

Looks good. I'm not familiar with that cases dimensions so just check that it will accomodate that cooler. Other than that looks good :)
A D14 should fit nicely in there. A build with a Prolimatech Megahalems for proof : http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/1133614/

Looks fine, although a SeaSonic SSR-550RM would be a better (and less expensive) choice for a power supply though.
It would very much indeed. I thought the modular plugs placement was different and would've been blocked by the graphics card. Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely get the seasonic !