Are expensive HDMI cables worth it

sid97

I bought dell U2515H it has DP and mini DP cables with it but my motherboard does not have the ports so I decided to buy HDMI cable but there are so many things which I came across and here is the final question which I want to ask : does it matter which HDMI cable I buy ? are cheap (like amazon basic) equal to expensive one and which one do you think I should buy?

I want to run my monitor at 2560*1440 resolution and I would not use it for gaming but some photographs (not professional) with my gigabyte FA88XM motherboard and AMD A10 7800 processor.

expensive ones are either >10m long or 2.0 version

2.0 provides you 1440p@144Hz and 4K@60Hz

normal HDMI aka. 1.4 can provide 1080p@144Hz, 1440p@60Hz, 4k@30Hz

i belive linus has made a video about this. 

any cheap cable will be good enough

• CPU i7 4790k 4589.16MHz, Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe USB 3.1, RAM Corsair dominator platinum 16 gb 3977.3 MHz, GPU Nvidia 3080, Case Corsair 750d, Storage Samsung 850 pro 512gb, WD black 2tb, PSU Corsair HX1000i, Cooling Corsair H110i, Keyboard Corsair k95 RGB, Mouse Logitech G502 RGB, Monitor S2721DGFA, Sound Bose surround system, Operating system Windows 10

Expensive ones normally have gold plating which would make the cable last longer overall, but unless you keep switching it from devices..no. It really isn't.

i pushed 1800p60hz trough a hdmi cable that was cheaper than today's lunch, it literally doesnt matter as long as you dont buy an absolute turd.

in fact, a lot of the more expensive cables are absolute turds, and you wouldnt be the first one that got tricked into buying a monster cable with metal connectors, that are actually just a sticker on top of plastic.

5 minutes ago, Arwanell said:

expensive ones are either >10m long or 2.0 version

2.0 provides you 1440p@144Hz and 4K@60Hz

normal HDMI aka. 1.4 can provide 1080p@144Hz, 1440p@60Hz, 4k@30Hz

There are no HDMI 2.0 cables. Any high speed cable is capable of 4k@60hz (high speed has existed since long before HDMI 2.0).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Price won't make it any better.

Also, digital signal doesn't work like that. Either it passes perfectly or not at all but poor cable won't make the quality poorer and and a 'high-end' cable won't make it any better. 

With that said, sub-par cables are more prone to break or be shipped broken and are often cheaper. That's just to say that while expensive cables are pointless, cheap-o cables may not even work. I'd shoot for the lower mid-range price-wise. 

Just now, Naeaes said:

Price won't make it any better.

Also, digital signal doesn't work like that. Either it passes perfectly or not at all but poor cable won't make the quality poorer and and a 'high-end' cable won't make it any better. 

With that said, sub-par cables are more prone to break or be shipped broken and are often cheaper. That's just to say that while expensive cables are pointless, cheap-o cables may not even work. I'd shoot for the lower mid-range price-wise. 

€70 1 meter cable = stone dead

€10 3 meter dollar store cable = still works, my dad just lost it...

7 minutes ago, sid97 said:

does it matter which HDMI cable I buy ? are cheap (like amazon basic) equal to expensive one and which one do you think I should buy?

Amazon Basics are EASILY adequate in this situation btw.