980Ti Overclocking/Boosting

zberry7

Wrong Section, Sorry if someone could move this that would be great!

I'm really curious about the way my new card is behaving, I'm using a 980Ti Hybrid and Precision X for overclocking.

In Precision X, it says my normal clock speed is 1130 MHz, and boost is just over 1200 MHz, but when I go to run a game the GPU runs at about 1405 MHz (With no overclock). I have my power limit set to 110% and my Target Temp around 70c. But if I run something that pins my GPU at 100% (Furmark notably), my GPU will run at the Boost speed listed in Precision X. Also when I overclock my memory and run a game, anywhere really above 100 MHz, I will get artifcating but not when running Furmark.

Its just confusing how my GPU will boost up to 1400 MHz when running a game, and if I overclock by say 100 MHz it will run at around 1500 MHz, but in any stress test I run, it will only run at around 1300 MHz.

Its just hard to set up a stable overclock when the actual clock rate will vary this much between different usages.

Also would I get more performance with the core running at 1400 MHz and the memory overclocked by 400 Mhz, or with the core around 1475 Mhz and little/no memory overclock?

When I overvolt the card, I also see very very little difference in stability, I'm just curious if this behavior is normal or if my drivers are acting funny, sorry for all the questions and poor formatting but this is my first real high end card and just want to achieve the best results possible, even though its overkill.

My 970 does that too, she boosts higher than the ftw+. Not sure why, don't really care lol.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

FurMark is different than most programs.  It can actually kill your GPU, and has killed many in the past before it was discovered to be deadly.

For that reason, the GPU drivers will automatically control the GPU overclock to make sure it stays safe when you run FurMark.