Which CPU would you buy?

For gaming:

i7-4790    -  $250.00

i5-6600K  -  $220.00

Xeon E3-1231 v3  -  $210.00

i5-4690K  -  $200.00

i5-4590    -  $160.00

(Microcenter prices, all within my budget, just want best bang for buck)

Xeon E3-1231 v3  plus you can do some video editing on it..

Magical Pineapples

Xeon is a great choice, but I also recommend the 4790k for both as well. The i5's are better for just light gaming and work.

I have taken an interest myself in Xeons because of the support for ECC memory and they seem to be great workstation cpus, I would choose the Xeon

If buying new, I would go 6600K since its the newer platform and all.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

the Xeon

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, mhonor said:

added i5-4590 because of the cheap price. 

still the Xeon.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Well, seeing you want to have future performance, you might as well go for any skylake CPU, since it supports DDR4.

TBH though, you cannot go wrong with any of the CPU listed.

Thanks everyone! 

Just realized that the i5-6600K is $20 cheaper when bundled with a motherboard, so I'll have some decision making to do but this is really helpful. I should probably just stop nickle-and-diming every aspect of my build and go with the best choice, right?

• 3 weeks later...

I've decided to go with either the 6600K or the Xeon. I hope you can weigh in on this:

I'm not a frequent upgrader, so what I am most concerned with is picking a CPU which will serve me well for years. A lot of people have recommended Skylake for an upgrade path, but I'm not sure that really applies to me because the next time I get around to an upgrade could be 5+ years from now (GPU is an exception, obviously).

So the Xeon and Skylake are kind of on even ground for me. With that in mind, which do you think will have the longest value performance-wise?

• 6600K has the advantage of overclocking. 
  • I've heard that in the not-so-distant future more games and programs will utilize hyperthreading, so would it be better to have the additional threads of the Xeon instead of higher clock speeds on the 6600K?

XEON E3!

- AMD Ryzen™ 5 1400 Processor

- Asus Prime A320M-K ATX motherboard

- Zotac GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC Edition

- Kingston 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz Ram

- Corsair VS 550 power supply

- Kingston A400 240GB SSD

- 1TB WD BLUE HDD Hard Disk & Samsung 320GB HDD(7200RPM)

- CPU COOLER: Stock Cooler(AMD)

I would go Xeon if I need more cores for streaming or editing videos, else I would go a more standard K processor that fits your mobo.