Best 200- router?

DominicNikon

whats the best 200- USD router? i been looking at the night hawk dual band. im re wiring my house and i need a router

Don't go consumer... get something much better from https://www.ubnt.com/

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

Would help to know what you mean by "best". Depends on the features you need, if you want ease of setup, etc etc. 

That said, not knowing exactly what your needs are, I recently purchased an Asus RT-AC87U (about $205 on amazon us) http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-RT-AC87U-Wireless-AC2400-Gigabit-Router/dp/B00MPI5N7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456192458&sr=8-1&keywords=RT-AC87U

I am super happy with the performance and stability. Lots of configuration options including up to 6 guest networks and all the other features you would expect from a good router. No need to flash other firmware like dd-wrt in the good old days. 

The only problem I have found is there was a lack of shielding on the front USB port so using that as a simple network attached storage caused some problems (I ended up not using an external drive as a makeshift nas and actually put in a real nas instead). 

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

17 minutes ago, Papakuma said:

Would help to know what you mean by "best". Depends on the features you need, if you want ease of setup, etc etc. 

That said, not knowing exactly what your needs are, I recently purchased an Asus RT-AC87U (about $205 on amazon us) http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-RT-AC87U-Wireless-AC2400-Gigabit-Router/dp/B00MPI5N7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456192458&sr=8-1&keywords=RT-AC87U

I am super happy with the performance and stability. Lots of configuration options including up to 6 guest networks and all the other features you would expect from a good router. No need to flash other firmware like dd-wrt in the good old days. 

The only problem I have found is there was a lack of shielding on the front USB port so using that as a simple network attached storage caused some problems (I ended up not using an external drive as a makeshift nas and actually put in a real nas instead). 

ok thanks by best i mean a good dual band wifi router 

12 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

ok thanks by best i mean a good dual band wifi router 

In that case my recommendation stands....I would buy it again in a heartbeat. 

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

8 hours ago, Kryptyx said:

Don't go consumer... get something much better from https://www.ubnt.com/

12 minutes ago, RZeroX said:

Ubiquti Router + Access Point.

WHY WHY WHY???? Have either of you ever used any of the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter equipment? Sure he could probably get away with a USG + UAP but unless he has a fair bit of networking experience, stay away from the EdgeRouters, they're not easy equipment to use and when you break it, you may not know how to fix it. Even then with the USG, you'll get next to nothing out of it without knowing the UniFi command line interface.

8 hours ago, DominicNikon said:

whats the best 200- USD router? i been looking at the night hawk dual band. im re wiring my house and i need a router

What internet connection do you have? Fiber to an NTU (FTTP?), VDSL or cable? If it's either of the later two, be aware that you will need to use an ISP provided modem or specific VDSL modem. For fibre to an NTU, you can use RJ45 from the NTU.

The Asus RT series routers are good options if you're looking something that is AC compatible. The Netgear units (Nighthawk etc) generally have better parental controls if that's an issue.

Did you need any specific router features like a VPN host or dynamic DNS support through DYNDNS or similar?

6 hours ago, chromed343 said:

WHY WHY WHY???? Have either of you ever used any of the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter equipment? Sure he could probably get away with a USG + UAP but unless he has a fair bit of networking experience, stay away from the EdgeRouters, they're not easy equipment to use and when you break it, you may not know how to fix it. Even then with the USG, you'll get next to nothing out of it without knowing the UniFi command line interface.

What internet connection do you have? Fiber to an NTU (FTTP?), VDSL or cable? If it's either of the later two, be aware that you will need to use an ISP provided modem or specific VDSL modem. For fibre to an NTU, you can use RJ45 from the NTU.

The Asus RT series routers are good options if you're looking something that is AC compatible. The Netgear units (Nighthawk etc) generally have better parental controls if that's an issue.

Did you need any specific router features like a VPN host or dynamic DNS support through DYNDNS or similar?

Nah, never even seen one ;)

Imo it's not that hard, the router is a bit more advanced than the rest, but restarting the asus/netgear every day or even once a week would be more annoying

56cc72117c69b_2016-02-1017.43.23.thumb.j12752255_10207555540718345_969614742_o.t

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

15 hours ago, chromed343 said:

For the record on Cable you dont have to use an ISP provided modem. I dont. You have to use a compatible modem, most cable ISP's have a list of supported devices. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 hours ago, MariusJS said:

Nah, never even seen one ;)

Imo it's not that hard, the router is a bit more advanced than the rest, but restarting the asus/netgear every day or even once a week would be more annoying

56cc72117c69b_2016-02-1017.43.23.thumb.j12752255_10207555540718345_969614742_o.t

Case and point why I said he could probably get away with a USG and UniFi AP but not to touch the EdgeRouters. Why would he need to restart the other branded routers?

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

For the record on Cable you dont have to use an ISP provided modem. I dont. You have to use a compatible modem, most cable ISP's have a list of supported devices. 

Depends on the area - some countries require you to use a cable modem supplied by the ISP. Not familar with the US' cable modem procedure.

20 hours ago, chromed343 said:

i use cat 5e and im upgrading to 50mb/s down or 100mb/s

21 hours ago, chromed343 said:

I'm familiar with their equipment. I've just setup my new network using their Unifi line. All you need is the USG and UAP with a little unmanaged switch. If you grab the Cloud Key it will handle running the controller for you and give you remote access out of the box. You don't need to go into the CLI, most, if not all, features you want will be right in the Unifi interface. I really suggest going this route over some consumer grade router that you'll likely replace or hate in a year. It took me less than 10 minutes to set up.

IMG_20160224_003319.jpg

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE