Is there a specfic way to make a usb flash drive bootable?

IsaacDaGrazin
Go to solution Solved by Philosobyte,

If you have an .iso file on your computer, then you can use PowerISO, which is free. The 300MB limit in the free version of PowerISO only applies to creating isos, not burning them. So you'd be good to go. 

I don't know about pendrivelinux. 

You can use a program like rufus to do it.

New: PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

Just now, Slyhawk said:

You can use a program like rufus to do it.

so i need to use a program like Rufus? or it wont be bootable?

1 minute ago, IsaacDaGrazin said:

so i need to use a program like Rufus? or it wont be bootable?

I think so but im not 100% sure.

New: PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

If you have an .iso file on your computer, then you can use PowerISO, which is free. The 300MB limit in the free version of PowerISO only applies to creating isos, not burning them. So you'd be good to go. 

There are many utilities that can make a usb bootable or the manual way through diskpart.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, Philosobyte said:
Just now, Philosobyte said:

oh okay thanks :D

Please make sure you are posting in the proper sub-forum at all times.

Moved to Storage Devices.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

7 minutes ago, IsaacDaGrazin said:

oh okay thanks :D

What are you trying to do, specifically?  If you are just trying to install an OS from a USB you don't need a special program...you just put the appropriate install program on the USB device, ensure you computer is set to boot from USB (by setting the appropriate setting in your BIOS), and you should be good to go...

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

17 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Please make sure you are posting in the proper sub-forum at all times.

Moved to Storage Devices.

Oh okay sorry thanks :D