Hyper 212 Evo fan upgrade

Hi, im just sondering if a fan upgrade on a Hyper 212 Evo would be worth it. I curently have the stock fan, i know that an additional pull fan wont make a (big) difference. Im thinking about replacing the original push fan to a new one. It gets pretty loud when the cpu (4690k) heats up, esspecially when ive tried to overclock it. Ive also heard that the original fan isnt the best in terms of performance either. Ive been looking at some Noctua fans. The nf f12 is quiet, but im a little woried about its performance, also the f12 industrial Noctua fans, which go up to 3000rpm, but maybe their to loud. Im going to controll them with motherboard, so PWM is requied. What do you think?

2 minutes ago, anonym said:

Hi, im just sondering if a fan upgrade on a Hyper 212 Evo would be worth it. I curently have the stock fan, i know that an additional pull fan wont make a (big) difference. Im thinking about replacing the original push fan to a new one. It gets pretty loud when the cpu (4690k) heats up, esspecially when ive tried to overclock it. Ive also heard that the original fan isnt the best in terms of performance either. Ive been looking at some Noctua fans. The nf f12 is quiet, but im a little woried about its performance, also the f12 industrial Noctua fans, which go up to 3000rpm, but maybe their to loud. Im going to controll them with motherboard, so PWM is requied. What do you think?

Industrial ones are loud (but Linus loves them anyway), Choose P-12 or F-12, performance would be great. Also.. Noiseblocker Eloop fans look good and are also quiet. How hot does your CPU get under load?

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

I don't think a fan upgrade will affect performance that much. If you're going for something quieter it would be worth it. Or if you're in a really hot environment or pushing OC to unsafe levels lol. 

On the 212 Evo an additional fan actually does make a huge difference and makes it a VERY good air cooler.

NB-Eloops are insanely overpriced in the US so take that into account.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

When not overclocked, its temperatures are pretty low, when pushing the cpu hard though, the fan is definatly hearable. When overclocked (4.4 ghz) it gets up to like 78 or something, when stress testning in prime95 26.6. But then the fan is going full speed and sounds like a jet engine. It never runs that hot during normal load though. However i heard somewhere that a f12 would increase the temps, and thats not what i want. I want it to be quieter, but i dont want it to get hotter either.

I live in Sweden, the eloops are very expensive here aswell.

Try lowering fan speeds. 78c at prime95 probably means lower load temps for real world usage. 

Where'd you get that idea? -- a NF-F12 would lower both temps and noise. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Upgrading a 212 EVO with anything requiring the spending of additional money kind of defeats the purpose of the 212 EVO.  I'd try slowing fan speed first.

3 hours ago, anonym said:

Yeah, I'd go with the NF F12 or the Be Quiet Silent Wings Fans. Or you could go the opposite end of the spectrum like me and have two delta server fans in push / pull on the hyper 212. My CPU never gets hot. haha.

I would try adjust the fan curve though. The Hyper 212 is a pretty capable cooler in the stock config.

• Check that your tower is seated correctly and that there is enough thermal compound. This might mean that your cpu will drop in temperature and your fan will quiet down
  • if you want to replace the fan look at the nf-p12. The f12 is for case cooling and the p is for static pressure optimisation. I wouldn't worry about the industrial fans
  • an option to consider is to straight up replace your cooler entirely. Look at both be-quiet!s and noctuas offerings. If you have the room I reccomend the dark rock pro 3 or the Nh-d15 if you have the room in your case. If not the dark rock 3 and the Nh-u14 are both flawless options. I would go for the Noctua over the bq simply for the far superior mounting mechanism on the Noctua but if you care about looks bq coolers are nice and black

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133

I saw a comparison beetween the stock fan and the NF f12 on youtube, where the NF f12 made it run like 7 degrees hotter, and thats no what i want, it has a max speed of 1500 rpm, the stock fan max is 2000 rpm. 

Here are some interesting results with tests of different fan arrangements and positioning of the 212: http://www.overclock.net/t/1199135/hyper-212-testing-push-vs-pull-vs-push-pull-also-horizontal-vs-vertical-positioning

The computer isn't the "Thing".....the computer is the "Thing" that gets you to the "Thing".  - excerpt from "Halt and Catch Fire".

On 2/23/2016 at 10:21 PM, anonym said:

I saw a comparison beetween the stock fan and the NF f12 on youtube, where the NF f12 made it run like 7 degrees hotter, and thats no what i want, it has a max speed of 1500 rpm, the stock fan max is 2000 rpm. 

Link to the video?

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Link to the video?

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + Noctua NF-F12 PWM. Channel is Jerry Neutron

5 hours ago, anonym said:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + Noctua NF-F12 PWM. Channel is Jerry Neutron

The temp difference was closer to 5c and it doesn't seem the fans were spinning at the same speeds. That being said, rpm is arbitrary and performance compared to noise is more important.

I don't see the point in wanting a higher rpm fan in the first place if your issue was noise. 

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

The temp difference was closer to 5c and it doesn't seem the fans were spinning at the same speeds. 

I don't see the point in wanting a higher rpm fan in the first place if your issue was noise. 

I wanted lower noise during full load. But i dont want it to go past the 78 degrees that i have now when overclocked.

6 minutes ago, anonym said:

But i dont want it to go past the 78 degrees that i have now when overclocked.

You should be fine even in a worse-case scenario. P95 is heavier than normal usage and you're fine up to 90c at load.

Also, I'd take Jerry's results with a grain of salt. from what I've seen, temps should be a bit better with the NF-F12. 

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Why's that? P95 is heavier than normal usage and you're fine up to 90c at load.

Ive Heard that going past 80c will degrade it by time.

54 minutes ago, anonym said:

Ive Heard that going past 80c will degrade it by time.

Extra heat can be bad for the cpu but there isn't an advertised 'healthy temp' or formula for temp degradation--voltage makes a bigger difference for that. Intel specs the temp for throttling at a bit over 100c and tcase at 72c but that's about it. If the system is going to be at load 24/7, staying under 80c would be a good idea. Otherwise, it's not too bad to go above that up 90c on the hottest core at load. 

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Extra heat can be bad for the cpu but there isn't an advertised 'healthy temp' or formula for temp degradation--voltage makes a bigger difference for that. Intel specs the temp for throttling at a bit over 100c and tcase at 72c but that's about it. If the system is going to be at load 24/7, staying under 80c would be a good idea. Otherwise, it's not too bad to go above that up 90c on the hottest core at load. 

Ok, thanks. But im still pretty unsure about this. If the noise difference only is very small, because the temps wont improve as ive understand, the cost is not going to be worth it. Is there anything else you would suggest upgrading or something instead?

3 minutes ago, anonym said:

Ok, thanks. But im still pretty unsure about this. If the noise difference only is very small, because the temps wont improve as ive understand, the cost is not going to be worth it. Is there anything else you would suggest upgrading or something instead?

The noise difference is far from small and very noticeable. 

Temps won't change much with any fan swap unless you're getting something that is impractically loud for more performance.

29 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The noise difference is far from small and very noticeable. 

Temps won't change much with any fan swap unless you're getting something that is impractically loud for more performance.

Ok. But which one should get?