A 19-year-old made a free robot lawyer that has appealed $3 million in parking tickets

Guest Kloaked
12 hours ago, zacRupnow said:

Of course they will say no, it threatens their job and some of their clients (criminal defense in particular).

Well, in theory it would be more efficient and accurate, and have a superior processing ability (a machine vs a human).

Since it isn't sentient, it cannot really decide what is right from wrong, and morals etc. But, if it has a structure for what is legal and what is not, it will be much more efficient.

8 minutes ago, Stuff_ said:

Since it isn't sentient, it cannot really decide what is right from wrong, and morals etc. But, if it has a structure for what is legal and what is not, it will be much more efficient.

Many "moral" ideas are opinions and/or unique to certain groups regionally, so all that really matters is the law anyways. If it weren't for the need for a human programmer and human maintenance Oh and Skynet I'd say AI should take over the entire court process.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Just now, zacRupnow said:

Many "moral" ideas are opinions and/or unique to certain groups regionally, so all that really matters is the law anyways. If it weren't for the need for a human programmer and human maintenance I'd say AI should take over the entire court process.

Definitely, but I think it would be tough for an AI jury to make a verdict, if you consider jury nullification a legal (and rightful) process.

5 hours ago, Centurius said:

Parking tickets are still very far from being able to handle something like a capital murder trial or any of the hundreds of other complicated legal matters lawyers handle.

But the demand for lawyers will still go down, especially since this is only the beginning.

Just now, ElfFriend said:

But the demand for lawyers will still go down, especially since this is only the beginning.

Not significantly, and by the time technology has reached such a state that an artificial intelligence is capable of replacing lawyers in their entirety(remember just knowing the law doesn't cut it, you need to be able to make split second strategic decisions that affect the course of the trial and more importantly appeal to a human jury and/or human judges.) it has probably reached a state that engineers and programmers can be replaced as well and robots just take care of themselves.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

40 minutes ago, Centurius said:

Not significantly, and by the time technology has reached such a state that an artificial intelligence is capable of replacing lawyers in their entirety(remember just knowing the law doesn't cut it, you need to be able to make split second strategic decisions that affect the course of the trial and more importantly appeal to a human jury and/or human judges.) it has probably reached a state that engineers and programmers can be replaced as well and robots just take care of themselves.

AIs like this would still decrease the need for lawyers which would mean that competition to become a lawyer would get greater. Basically it is illogical to go into a field where jobs will be decreasing so people that want to be lawyers should be considering other fields.

I don't actually think AIs will be ever able to completely replace creativity (which is kind of needed to come up with novel solutions in pretty much all worthwhile fields) but the less creative jobs will easily get replaced. So while really good lawyers will still have jobs I'm not too sure about people that are just starting off or do not already have a really solid portfolio.

Now we just need one of these for other crimes, like kidnapping and forcing people to program.  "I'll" handle making the others ;)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Wow, as a lawyer (kind of) with a lawyer girlfriend, and lawyer friends, I gotta keep an eye on you guys making my job obsolete !

In all seriousness, though, stuff like this will have the same effect that other programs have had. Meaning that partners at law firms will need less associates and can pay them less. For example, tons of lawyers get stuck reviewing documents, its not a good gig career wise, but it can pay 30-40 bucks an hour. One day soon, that job can be done by a computer and those people will be out of a job because it will mean more profit for partners ( not sure yet how they would bill it)

I think that it will take much longer for what you actually pay lawyers for to be replaced by programs (wheeling and dealing, deep understanding of legal nuances, knowing the right things to look at, intangibles that affect cases)