What to Use a Multimeter for?

EarthboundHero

I bought a multimeter because I thought it'd be useful. But now I don't know what to do with it. Give me some ideas.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Wait for a GPU to die then figure out what is wrong

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

well it's not really useful unless you're doing electronics work, but if you are it's good for a whole multitude of things including checking voltage, current, resistance, etc. in circuits.

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

16 minutes ago, EarthboundHero said:

I bought a multimeter because I thought it'd be useful. But now I don't know what to do with it. Give me some ideas.

Find the resistance of a resistor if you're too lazy to look at the colour codes!

Test the leads of an mystery transistor!

See if a battery is dead!

I hope you didn't buy something like a Fluke 87 on a whim, those things are bloody expensive.

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

Just now, sushisharkjl said:

Find the resistance of a resistor if you're too lazy to look at the colour codes!

Test the leads of an mystery transistor!

See if a battery is dead!

I hope you didn't buy something like a Fluke 87 on a whim, those things are bloody expensive.

Naw it was $13 on Amazon. I've used it to test a few batteries already.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Just now, EarthboundHero said:

Naw it was $13 on Amazon. I've used it to test a few batteries already.

Oh good. 

As long as it wasn't an expensive one or a stupid red Harbour Freight one you'll be fine. Check out EEVBlog for some DIY ideas.

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

hobby electronics, checking continuity, measuring voltage, etc.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Whenever I've done arduino projects, it's nice to have a multimeter on hand in case I mysteriously kill a board and need to figure out what caused the short.

If your really dying to use it go round checking the voltage on every battery in the house see if they need replacing I typically only use mine when I can't figure what wire leads where when wireing somthing up 

I lurk a lot

Testing whether batteries are worth throwing away or re-using in an appliance that can deal with a low voltage.

For example, an Xbox remote might deplete a AA battery to 1.4v from 1.6v but a different appliance might deplete them below 1v, creating less battery waste.