960 Not Preforming as well.

Hey Computer Experts!

I need some help. I have a PNY GTX 960 and I am getting around 70 FPS on Counter Strike Global Offensive. I know this isn't normal I put all my setting to low also and I get around 85. I prefer over 120 in case of any frame drops, or even a few smokes thrown in a few spots. I will list my Specs below and I would really appreciate it if I can have some help. At first I thought I was throttling and when I run my fans Max RPM I am at 70 Degrees Celsius.

CPU: http://prntscr.com/a4mt8y
GPU: http://prntscr.com/a4mtw5
MoBo: http://prntscr.com/a4mtjr
RAM: http://prntscr.com/a4mtnv

I did reset my PC see if it was some kind of OS Issue and it didn't help. I have all settings low and Vsync off,

This might sound a bit silly. But have you thought of turning up the graphics settings a bit? That way the game will leverage less on the CPU, and more on the GPU.

Source games are notorious for being not-so-well optimized towards CPU's.

I'm not sure, I think it just isnt such a good GPU the clock speed and memory are quite low. I don't no for sure as I don't have anything to compare it to but my brother plays CSGO on a 1GB card on low settings and only gets like 45 frames.

I am not sure about this so I stand to be corrected.

2 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

This might sound a bit silly. But have you thought of turning up the graphics settings a bit? That way the game will leverage less on the CPU, and more on the GPU.

Source games are notorious for being not-so-well optimized towards CPU's.

CSGO is fucking wonky, and form my experiences with the Source engine, maxing the game out doesn't remove a CPU bottleneck.

To OP: It's your CPU. I hate to say it, but FX CPUs aren't that good for CSGO. Personal experience.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

23 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

CSGO is fucking wonky, and form my experiences with the Source engine, maxing the game out doesn't remove a CPU bottleneck.

To OP: It's your CPU. I hate to say it, but FX CPUs aren't that good for CSGO. Personal experience.

@Dan Castellaneta I am only getting 60 Frames on Garry's Mod too?

OP I own an ASUS GTX960 Turbo (close enough to what you have) and you may need to re-install your drivers. Your core speed should be almost 3 times that.

Do a clean install of your GPU's drivers and see what happens. If no improvement it may be settings related as suggested by @GlassBomb or your card is failing.

I ran into the same issue once and re-installing the drivers did the trick.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

OP I own an ASUS GTX960 Turbo (close enough to what you have) and you may need to re-install your drivers. Your core speed should be almost 3 times that.

Do a clean install of your GPU's drivers and see what happens. If no improvement it may be settings related as suggested by @GlassBomb or your card is failing.

I ran into the same issue once and re-installing the drivers did the trick.

May you please guide me through this. I know quite well about PC Problems but never knew how to fix GPU's.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Source engine is fucking hard on the CPU, so yeah, CPU bottleneck

Should I do a Frames test with Battle Field and see what I get?

Just now, VinZie said:

Should I do a Frames test with Battle Field and see what I get?

Battlefield (I'm assuming 4) isn't ridiculously hard on the CPU, so expect to ~max it out at 1080p60.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

you either have one strange driver or you under clocked your card.....it is also possible you bought a knock off card (not a real gtx 960) ive seen that with the Vamery gtx cards, they are fake 

Just now, Conan1600 said:

you either have one strange driver or you under clocked your card.....it is also possible you bought a knock off card (not a real gtx 960)

No it was real. There was certification papers with the PNY box.

9 minutes ago, VinZie said:

No it was real. There was certification papers with the PNY box.

go to device manager, click display, double click gtx 960, click driver, click uninstall driver. the screen may go black for a second. re start PC. Go to nvidia website. download geforce experience, install geforce experience, open geforce experience, click drivers tab, click check for updates, click dpwnload updates, click express install

if this doesnt fix card RMA it, there is something loopy

Edited by Conan1600

Use DDU to reinstall drivers. Your CPU is also likely a bottleneck but the GPU should perform better. Again, just use DDU and post back if there was any change in performance.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

base clock on a PNY gtx 960 reference design is 1127mHz, you have 400. you underclocked or the driver is thrashed or the card is junk