HTC Vive priced at $799

thexzenon

Vive has a FOV of 110* I'm sure of that. Wiki says Rift's FOV is 110* as well.

I thought Rift had 120* FOV.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

Holy crap that's cheap. I was expecting it to be expensive. Guess I'm getting one after all. :)

-KuJoe

15 hours ago, crisro996 said:

Wooow, that's definitely not how things work. Apple has a crap ton of money as well, you don't see them making the Mac Pro $300 just because the iPhone brings them $50 trillion per quarter.

Well apple did not come out and say they will give over 90% of their fortune away. Mark did....

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

When i saw this on Flipboard I knew that VR was gonna end before it even really started. Cos there's no way in a million years that I'm paying $799. Maybe i might pay $499 or $599 if it was HoloLens BUT IT's NOT! So NO. I might buy it when it's $399 ish.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, KuJoe said:

Holy crap that's cheap. I was expecting it to be expensive. Guess I'm getting one after all. :)

Whatever you're smoking, I like it. Cos that's some next gen Bullshit. That is ridiculously expensive.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

When i saw this on Flipboard I knew that VR was gonna end before it even really started. Cos there's no way in a million years that I'm paying $799. Maybe i might pay $499 or $599 if it was HoloLens BUT IT's NOT! So NO. I might buy it when it's $399 ish.

It's funny how you say that VR is gonna end because you're not going to buy it, like you're the only audience this caters to m8... Plenty of people and, more importantly, companies will buy this, as well as oculus VR (arcade machines are expensive AF and they are still sold, just like pinball machines).

Also you say you knew it was gonna end before it even started and then you proceed to say you might buy it when it's 399$ ish?

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Whatever you're smoking, I like it. Cos that's some next gen Bullshit. That is ridiculously expensive.

Accually it's pretty cheap considering it's a first gen product of its kind, it's a bit on the expensive side, yes, but it's not RIDICULOSLY expensive by any stretch of the imagination. If people dish out thousands of dollars on SLI titans why do you feel this is too expensive for them?

It's a niche market, yes, but to say it's gonna die before it starts is a bald claim which i feel has no foundation, other than your own view on the market.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

1 minute ago, A/C said:

It's funny how you say that VR is gonna end because you're not going to buy it, like you're the only audience this caters to m8... Plenty of people and, more importantly, companies will buy this, as well as oculus VR (arcade machines are expensive AF and they are still sold, just like pinball machines).

Also you say you knew it was gonna end before it even started and then you proceed to say you might buy it when it's 399$ ish?

Accually it's pretty cheap considering it's a first gen product of its kind, it's a bit on the expensive side, yes, but it's not RIDICULOSLY expensive by any stretch of the imagination. If people dish out thousands of dollars on SLI titans why do you feel this is too expensive for them?

It's a niche market, yes, but to say it's gonna die before it starts is a bald claim which i feel has no foundation, other than your own view on the market.

They don't want it to be Niche and because of their pricing it will be Niche. So therefore, they are effectively reducing possible interest and marketshare.

I considered VR until this happened. And now, it's either HoloLens OR not using VR.

The MacBook Retina was a first of it's kind product, it wasn't anymore expensive than usual! 

This is a VR headset not a PC. You can't charge that kind of money for something like that. It's wrong and you know it and that's why you're fanboying over it.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

The MacBook Retina was a first of it's kind product, it wasn't anymore expensive than usual! 

This is a VR headset not a PC. You can't charge that kind of money for something like that. It's wrong and you know it and that's why you're fanboying over it.

1. The macbook retina was the first of it's kind product? Are you even listening to yourself? MacBook Retina is a laptop, m8. They've been in production for, oh, I don't know, 50 years? MacBook Retina only inovated (that's what apple does best apparently -innovate) by using the latest intel chipset which enabled it to be super thin. Hi resolution super thin displays have been used in tablets for years now, ever since the ASUS Transformer TF700 AFAIK. 

2. Yes, yes they can. You can call this whatever you want, your rant doesn't change the fact that they can and they will charge that kind of money, just like Apple can charge 950USD (iphone 6s plus 128gb, look it up) for a friggen phone and people still gobble up that s***t. 

18 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I was expecting at least $1k at launch, $800 is a damn good price for the first edition. Once they release the $400 version I'm sure it would be more widely adopted but I don't want to wait that long. Personally, I'd be pissed off if they charged $400 for the first edition and probably wouldn't buy it because that means either:

A) They cut corners and the quality will be crap.

OR

B) They aren't making any money off it, in which case there's a high probability there won't be a version 2.0 if the company can't show their shareholders the income.

-KuJoe

It's also worth pointing out that I probably won't be spending the full $800 at launch, and anybody with family or a roommate can easily split the cost to make it more affordable.

-KuJoe

8 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

It's also worth pointing out that I probably won't be spending the full $800 at launch, and anybody with family or a roommate can easily split the cost to make it more affordable.

It's only logical to assume I wouldn't be buying it if I couldn't afford one :)

There was a time I played on 8-years old hardware back in school when I couldn't afford even 1 stick of DDR RAM to upgrade. And I didn't rant about how it is expensive, and HOW I WOULD NEVER pay that kind NVidia is asking for its GTX7950 GX2 (650$ 10years ago) of money for a mere GPU. I accepted it and went for what was in my price range (GT7600). Now when I have the money to waste on hardware every few years I treat myself to a new build. When I have kids I won't - it's that simple.

9 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I was expecting at least $1k at launch, $800 is a damn good price for the first edition. Once they release the $400 version I'm sure it would be more widely adopted but I don't want to wait that long. Personally, I'd be pissed off if they charged $400 for the first edition and probably wouldn't buy it because that means either:

A) They cut corners and the quality will be crap.

OR

B) They aren't making any money off it, in which case there's a high probability there won't be a version 2.0 if the company can't show their shareholders the income.

To me $800 for a VR headset means they're making too much profit OR they're paying back all the R & D (more likely).

Sadly, I won't buy until the price is reasonable. So probably never because it will take years to get it down to the price i would be willing to pay and by then i will have lost interest.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

To me $800 for a VR headset means they're making too much profit OR they're paying back all the R & D (more likely).

Sadly, I won't buy until the price is reasonable. So probably never because it will take years to get it down to the price i would be willing to pay and by then i will have lost interest.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same. The hardware right now just can't be that expensive, marketing is abysmal right now as well, so it must be R&D they're charging right now.

Sadly I think you're right here as well when you say  it will take years for the price to settle under 400$, and even then it's probbably priced above the mainstream market.

What most people can hope for is the black firday/holiday deals and discounts...

The most important thing right now is that developers get on board and make a few AAA titles compatible with VR so they avoid the 3D gaming fiasco that happened a few years ago. Although, I don't like comparing these two since many more companies are getting behind VR than behind 3D gaming, and the hype train and mainstream, more importantly, media coverage is much bigger right now.

29 minutes ago, A/C said:

When I have kids I won't - it's that simple.

See I'm the exact opposite. Before I had kids, I would never have spent my money on these kinds of things (sure I got a new PC every year until I got married, but once I got married I was extremely frugal and only used a netbook which I replaced every 4-5 years because I didn't need anything more). Now that I'm a parent, I love buying stuff like this for my kid.

-KuJoe

Am I the only one who's treating this like any other piece of hardware?? I've  spent £600 on a 4K monitor. Ive spent £500 on a GPU. I've spent spent £250 on a CPU. I could have got each and everyone part cheaper if I'd waited or gone for a cheaper alternative, but didn't. And I'm pretty sure a lot of people on these forums have done similar things. People misunderstand value. Something is only valuable to you if you really want or need it. 

I really want VR. Every preview/review and article for VR that I've seen and read has said how groundbreaking the tech is. It's not going away. It's not going to die because you can't afford it. I've played with budget VR on phones and it was more than enough to sell me. 

Personally im getting the rift as there really isnt any killer apps to use body tracking at launch anyway, plus I don't have the room. 

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

30 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

See I'm the exact opposite. Before I had kids, I would never have spent my money on these kinds of things (sure I got a new PC every year until I got married, but once I got married I was extremely frugal and only used a netbook which I replaced every 4-5 years because I didn't need anything more). Now that I'm a parent, I love buying stuff like this for my kid.

That makes sense, it's only that living here is expensive enough by itself, the life-essentials are much more expensive and people can't afford many toys. Right now I don't have to pay for anything but bills and food, (and car maintenance once a year), and my paycheck can support this lifestyle. But in a year or two, when a baby comes I don't think I'll be able to buy both diapes and electronics :) 

economically speaking i dont see how VR will advance if with a high price a lot of people lost interest and so with the lack of funds how would they expand and innovate 

47 minutes ago, corruption5.0 said:

economically speaking i dont see how VR will advance if with a high price a lot of people lost interest and so with the lack of funds how would they expand and innovate 

Not everyone has lost interest. The press are still very much behind VR, even if they do mention the high cost of entry. But the vocal majority on here are upset that it's out their price range. It's better to take a look at the market as a whole, not just the guys and girls in this forum. I would guess (and I have no source for this other than seeing the Meet up video) a very large proportion of the LTT community is younger, possibly in school or adult education. These people will not have full time jobs or large amounts of disposable money. 

Its ts also worth noting that this tech has abilities far outside gaming. 

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

On 2/21/2016 at 6:29 PM, Watermelon Guy said:

990 E with shipping for Europe , that is overpriced as hell i'll wait until the hype dies down and the price drops faster than DDR4

read the spoiler

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

On 21.2.2016 at 5:45 PM, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention it'll be technologically outdated within a year, so there goes your $800 down the drain.

I wouldn't say that so quickly. It took several years to get to this point of standard and in my opinion the companies will focus more on putting out content and optimizing the system. 

Even if they develop new versions, the only really usefull or necessary thing would be a higher resolution (to see the pixel-grid even less). That would lead to a drop in performance and hence most people would rather stay with the older device. 

Positiontrackingwise the vive is really top notch and as everything is open, maybe some upradeable controllers will be published (for hand gestures or similiar). So realistically you would only have to upgrade the controllers for a maximum of 200$ (really high estimation).

My only concern would be, that I would loose interest rather soon. But with all the titles anounced, that seems to be no problem so far.

BAM! http://pocketnow.com/2016/03/01/htc-vive-pre-order-numbers

15k in under 10 minutes, "the price is too high" "noone is going to buy that", love it :D

7 minutes ago, A/C said:

BAM! http://pocketnow.com/2016/03/01/htc-vive-pre-order-numbers

15k in under 10 minutes, "the price is too high" "noone is going to buy that", love it :D

Lol exactly my point I made earlier. People assume because something is too expensive for them or they don't want it, it won't sell. 

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Davehaslanded said:

Lol exactly my point I made earlier. People assume because something is too expensive for them or they don't want it, it won't sell. 

On 2/22/2016 at 0:29 PM, A/C said: