~$400 Build for My Friend

byalexandr

BUT! There's a catch! I want to modify my NES to be a small gaming PC since I wanted to do so for a long time and I'm sure my friend would enjoy it, so don't include a case in the budget, but the PSU has to be a PicoPSU or Flex ATX.

I was thinking of an APU system but I can fit a half height 750 Ti or something. A decent size SSD or a 2.5" HDD will do.

I'm more interested in what I should go with here then specific parts, this isn't a 'give me your PCPartPicker list' type of planning.

He said the most graphically intensive game he plays is probably MGSV, but he plays a lot of American Truck Simulator and stuff like that.

3 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

BUT! There's a catch! I want to modify my NES to be a small gaming PC since I wanted to do so for a long time and I'm sure my friend would enjoy it, so don't include a case in the budget, but the PSU has to be a PicoPSU or Flex ATX.

I was thinking of an APU system but I can fit a half height 750 Ti or something. A decent size SSD or a 2.5" HDD will do.

I'm more interested in what I should go with here then specific parts, this isn't a 'give me your PCPartPicker list' type of planning.

I'd just get a A10-7870k and use it.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Have fun getting a motherboard that can power everything from a flat power source, or a PSU that would fit inside a Nintendo Entertainment System's shell.

7oRo6VZS3FfC.840x0.Vdef9Kkm.jpg.dc0ab971

Like I said I can fit a half height 750 Ti and a Pico PSU or I can use an APU platform and a Flex ATX PSU.

1 minute ago, JefferyD90 said:

I'd just get a A10-7870k and use it.

Actually, I'm genuinely curious, how do the APU graphics compare to say a 750 Ti?

Just now, byalexandr said:

-snipe-

Like I said I can fit a half height 750 Ti and a Pico PSU or I can use an APU platform and a Flex ATX PSU.

I'd personally go the 750 Ti route as it likely won't be as much of a bitch to find small ass coolers than it will Flex ATX PSUs and bothering to cable manage.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

Actually, I'm genuinely curious, how do the APU graphics compare to say a 750 Ti?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9307/the-kaveri-refresh-godavari-review-testing-amds-a10-7870k

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I'd personally go the 750 Ti route as it likely won't be as much of a bitch to find small ass coolers than it will Flex ATX PSUs and bothering to cable manage.

It'll be a bitch to find a Pico PSU like that one though. I think the one in the photo is 220W, normally they are like 140W or something.

It'll be a bitch to find a Pico PSU like that one though. I think the one in the photo is 220W, normally they are like 140W or something.

Then go whichever route's easier.

A website dedicated to pico computing

http://www.mini-box.com/site/index.html

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Then go whichever route's easier.

The APU route would be much easier, but I don't have an idea on the graphical power. @JefferyD90 linked an Anandtech test but I can't tell to be honest. From the looks of it the 285 wrecks it of course, but I'm wondering about a 750 Ti.

The APU route would be much easier, but I don't have an idea on the graphical power. @JefferyD90 linked an Anandtech test but I can't tell to be honest. From the looks of it the 285 wrecks it of course, but I'm wondering about a 750 Ti.

I believe the APU's GPU power is about 45-55% of the 7850, and the 7850 literally = 750 Ti.

I'm well aware of this site, I'm the SFF guy xD

Knew that site a while back as well. :D

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I believe the APU's GPU power is about 45-55% of the 7850, and the 7850 literally = 750 Ti.

Yeesh, just took a look at some videos and it barely does 40FPS, high settings at 720P on pretty demanding titles. I'll talk to my friend and if he's okay with it then I guess why not. I might just have to do a regular build for him, save my NES for something more... Powerful...

This is what I have so far for around $400:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A10-7870K 3.9GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($133.95 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Silverstone AR06 40.2 CFM CPU Cooler  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A78M-ITX+ Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard  ($66.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Mushkin Stealth 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Athena Power 350W 80+ Bronze Certified Mini ITX Power Supply  ($75.66 @ Newegg) 
Total: $420.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-20 21:40 EST-0500

Will fit easily into the NES, quick job actually. I'll see what my friend thinks of the APU, if he's meh with it then I'll do a regular build (still mini ITX, though, gotta live up to my title) as I don't like Pico PSUs very much.