FX-8370 Bottleneck?

leggo414

So I have purchased everything my computer needs except the GPU. The one I have picked out is the MSI Gaming R9 390, I know a guy who has it and I like it due to the 8GB of Vram, and high performance. I am worried, however, that the FX-8370 processor (already purchased), will bottleneck the R9, because I have heard that AMD CPU's aren't great. So, what I need to decide here is do I get the 390, or downgrade to say a 380. If my CPU allows for it, I would greatly enjoy the 390 (maybe even the 390X?), but if the CPU would bottleneck it, I would want to downgrade the GPU, as I dont feel like buying a new CPU/mobo.

Full part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PwLB8d

Thoughts?

getting a weaker GPU is not going to make the bottleneck any better

both GPU and CPU contribute to performance, not the lowest common denominator

even though an i5 would perform better than your CPU, you will still get better fps with a 390 than a 380

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just get an Nvidia graphics card, that will elleviate some of the problems. GTX 970 will not perform terribly on a 8370. Certainly not to it's best abilities, and you will have the odd game that just chuggs on the 8370. But it would do the same on lower-end cards, and even moreso on AMD Radeon cards.

Just now, Majestic said:

Just get an Nvidia graphics card, that will elleviate some of the problems.

In what way? From the benchmarks Ive seen, AMD does fine in the GPU department, and anyways, 8gb of vram blows away any of the somewhat affordable nvidia cards.

Just now, leggo414 said:

In what way? From the benchmarks Ive seen, AMD does fine in the GPU department, and anyways, 8gb of vram blows away any of the somewhat affordable nvidia cards.

Get a 390 then but the 970 tends to work better with lower end CPUs. If you plan to upgrade your CPU in the near future, get a 390.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, leggo414 said:

He is referring to CPU overheat but it's not as clear cut. Most modern games will leverage the 8 threads the 8370 has to offer. Just OC the thing and you will be fine. @Morgan MLGman has been running a 8350 + 290X with 0 issues

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

3 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Get a 390 then but the 970 tends to work better with lower end CPUs. If you plan to upgrade your CPU in the near future, get a 390.

I've been posting on a few forums, and they all tell me to buy an intel, so i think ill eventually upgrade to an i7, but I just blew my budget on AMD stuff so im stuck with it for now

3 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Just get an Nvidia graphics card, that will elleviate some of the problems.

behold, the reason all nvidia users have a bad name.

brands wont make a difference here, that said, get the 390, it'll neck a bit in the cpu-heavy things, but in the less gpu-heavy stuff it'll do just fine.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

He is referring to CPU overheat but it's not as clear cut. Most modern games will leverage the 8 threads the 8370 has to offer. Just OC the thing and you will be fine. @Morgan MLGman has been running a 8350 + 290X with 0 issues

Don't be disingenuous. Crysis 3 uses all 8 cores;

c3w_1920vh.png

c3r_1920vh.png

c3_j.png

1 minute ago, CUDA_Cores said:

I haven't heard this claim of the GTX 970 working better with lower-end CPUs. Where are you getting this information?

It's just that nivida has less driver overhead, resulting in slightly better performance when paired with a less capable cpu.

Just now, Majestic said:

Don't be disingenuous. Crysis 3 uses all 8 cores;

c3w_1920vh.png

c3r_1920vh.png

That site DOES NOT CONTRIBUTE to any debate as it is NOT reliable. Either give more reliable sources or just stop posting

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

behold, the reason all nvidia users have a bad name.

brands wont make a difference here, that said, get the 390, it'll neck a bit in the cpu-heavy things, but in the less gpu-heavy stuff it'll do just fine.

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

That site has been debunked over a dozen times by everyone from me and @Prysin to even Patrick IIRC.

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

-Snip-

Don't start a flame war.

2 minutes ago, leggo414 said:

I've been posting on a few forums, and they all tell me to but an intel, so i think ill eventually upgrade to an i7, but I just blew my budget on AMD stuff so im stuck with it for now

Grab the 390. You'll be fine, just OC the CPU a bit. Get an i5 or i7 when you can

Nvidia cards have less driver overhead - is what the point trying to be made is.

The 390 will bottleneck in the more CPU bound titles and MMO's at 1080p. 

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

That site has been debunked over a dozen times by everyone from me and @Prysin to even Patrick IIRC.

These results make an incredible amount of sense. And your appeal to authority holds no power here.

Don't try and force him into a bad decision because you don't like facts.

Get the 390 8 GB.

Here's the deal about the 8370.  You'll experience some bottlenecking around ~80 FPS in most games, so something like a 120 Hz/144 Hz isn't so great on it.  You'll also experience bottlenecking in certain CPU heavy titles, particularly MMO's, some RTS like Starcraft 2 or Total War and games like Arma 3.  I don't know anyone who doesn't have framerate issues with those games though, regardless of hardware.

If you just want to do 60 FPS gaming, an 8370 won't really hold you back in most games.  Better to have the higher end card and be able to run games at more demanding settings and be slightly bottlenecked in certain titles than have a weaker card.  Especially since in a year or whenever you can save up to replace it you can get a new mobo/CPU and continue to use the GPU just fine. (Or even get a second one for some great crossfire gains.)

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Just now, CUDA_Cores said:

OK, but I could still make an argument to get the R9 390 anyway. The R9 390 has 8GB of VRAM so it will not become obsolete as fast as the GTX 970. OP may not see a slight performance hit from using the R9 390 over a GTX 970, but he would be able to keep his GPU longer due to the 8GB of VRAM.

Never said you couldn't. Was explaining what he meant.

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

These results make an incredible amount of sense. And your appeal to authority holds no power here.

Don't try and force him into a bad decision because you don't like facts.

As I said, that site does not present credible results as the ones they achieve vastly contradict other sources such as Anandtech and DigitalFoundry.

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

That site DOES NOT CONTRIBUTE to any debate as it is NOT reliable. Either give more reliable sources or just stop posting

Either give a proper reason or YOU stop posting. Why don't these make sense, a rational/technical argument please. Everyone knows Crysis 3 is CPU heavy, everyone knows it uses 8 cores. PCLAB.pl shows both arguments in the CPU results, putting the 9590 above the 4690K. However, heavy CPU load means less drawcalls. Which gets compouned by a driver having less throughput.

They make a ton of sense, you're just being irrational.

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Don't start a flame war.

That site uses drivers from before the game is released - it is not remotely accurate >.<

Alright Im gonna go with the R9 390, Im not in need of anything over 60 fps and 1080p, all i really want is an upgrade from my old pc with an i3 and a GT 610

Just now, don_svetlio said:

That site uses drivers from before the game is released - it is not remotely accurate >.<

Early review copies, getting a review out early means more clicks. Are you done?

Besides, nothing changed with AMD's patch.

http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/6539/3/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-getest-met-23-videokaarten-testresultaten-full-hd-1920x1080-+-frametimes

This was done a week ago. Still same results.

Just now, leggo414 said:

Alright Im gonna go with the R9 390, Im not in need of anything over 60 fps and 1080p, all i really want is an upgrade from my old pc with an i3 and a GT 610

8370 with a R9-390 is a terrible Idea. Atleast read the topic I posted, if you still want to buy it go ahead.