How much does a gaming computer cost to run?

RavingSmurfGB

Hi, i Have a fx 6100 and a gtx 560 ti and was wondering how much it would actually cost to run (in the uk). I also have a corsair 60+ bronze power supply. 

depends how long you use it and what kind of load you put on it if you mean electricity wise.

1 where do you live :>. No seriously. prices differ by so much in different countries. 2 how long do you use it on average per day? 3 do you have your components overclocked.

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

depends how long you use it and what kind of load you put on it if you mean electricity wise.

It also depends on how much you pay for electricity. Even in the UK it is still regional. 

Assuming $0.10 (since I am from the US) per KwH, which is the US average (again, very big approximation just to give you an idea), and that you will be using it at 100% load around 40% of the time and that 100% load means pulling 400w from the wall, here is my calculation:

0.10 (cost per KwH) * 0.4 (400w = 0.4 Kw) * 0.7 (40/60, approximated, ratio of heavy load to idling time) =   $0.028 per hour

Assuming it is on 100% of the time, over a year, that would be 365 * 24 * $0.028 = $245.28 per year to run. 

Again, approximation. General idea. Do note that this approximation is very liberal in that your PC will not pull 400w, you will not be using it at 100% load 40% of the time, etc etc.

You probably pay anywhere from $100-$200 (but $200 is stretching it) a year to power it, assuming it is on ALL the time.

Sleeping/Hibernate would basically make it "off".

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Talking about power usage?

Unless you are using it at 100% all the time (having it stress tested 24/7 or folding (not as harsh)) you won't have to worry about how much power it will use up.

So doing general web browsing and just random stuff.... your CPU will basically be at idle, and according to a review it uses up about 43W at idle speeds.

Your GPU uses up a max of 110W (not sure about idle).... 

Overall coming from the wall could be about minimum 100w from your pc at idle (including HDD, fans etc)

So depending on the amount you pay per kWh is how much you pay per month.

links: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-fx-8120-6100-4100_8.html

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/01/25/nvidia-geforce-gtx-560-ti-1gb-review/8

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

1 i said i lives in the uk 1. i would use it 24/7 for a server and around 4-6 hours of gaming ( load) 3. I have no components overclocked

So here is what I got. 400W maximum. Considering it's always consuming 400W, 400W/1KW/h. 0.4x 12pence. That then 5 pence/h. Average usage estimate 5 hours. 25 pence a day. is then about 91 pounds IF you use it for gaming all the time. If you are not ingame you will more likely consume 200W.

EDITS:

If I were you I would take out the GPU since it doesn't help a server afaik. This will cut down the power costs by a little. If you could tell us how much the system consumes in everyday usage we could easily calculate how much it consumes in a year.

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

Here is the analysis of how much it costs to run a 560ti: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_560_ti_review,7.html

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

It will not be anything to think about, just an extra $ on the bill.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

That configuration consumes about 250-300W on 100% load. You'd need to divide that by 0.8 (efficiency of the PSU) to obtain the actual power draw from the wall, which is still less than 350W. And that assumes gaming 24 hours per day, 365 days per year. Which I hope never happens to anyone. 

TL;DR: cost is non-existent. 

The number I calculated for 24/7/365 was about $150 using the above power consumption. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Please get rid of that Psu (you can get an 80+ psu for undee 20$)

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

If you get cheap PSUs, when they die they'll take the whole system with them.

Every topic I post in dies.

That could happen but that guy has an 60+ Psu...

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

That could happen but that guy has an 60+ Psu...

Probably just a typo

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

And remember that the heat from the computer warms up the room, so in the winter time you earn the energy that way.

I need a USB-refrigerator for my beer

apu A8 + all = 500 USD

(and yes, this is a gaming PC)  ;)