AMD fx 8350 + gtx 970 vs r9 390

I already have Amd Fx 8350 and looking to upgrade everything else.

I almost finalised to buy Msi R9 390 but some guy said that it will bottleneck with 8350.

I'm  very confused now between these two gpus.

I'll be using this build mostly for gaming (csgo) and to run softwares like 3Dmax, autocad, etc.

Help appreciated,  thanks !

both will bottleneck only slightly, you won't really be able to notice it very much unless you are playing the most damnding games that are out there right now. I would say the 390 though since that's what you originally decided on and it trades blows with the 970 at 1080p, you'll only really see a difference in performance at higher resolutions. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

Unless you intend to overclock your FX 8350 to 5GHz you'll be wasting money on a GTX 970/R9 390 as until that clock speed is reached an R9 280X/380X are the best graphics cards that can reach 100% usage, and therefore not be a waste.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well either way they're going to get bottlenecked.  The FX series is pretty weak in single core performance which affects multi core performance as well.

But get the R9 390 it's more powerful .

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

6 minutes ago, Ramamataz said:

Well either way they're going to get bottlenecked.  The FX series is pretty weak in single core performance which affects multi core performance as well.

But get the R9 390 it's more powerful .

The R9 390 isn't actually more powerful, it trades blows with the GTX 970. As it stand at the moment only get an R9 390 if its a bit cheaper than a GTX 970 or if you need the 8GB vRAM, otherwise a GTX 970 is the better choice.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The 390 would be a great solution here. If I'm reading your post right it sounds like your into FPS games which are far more GPU bound than CPU. Take Tomb Raider for instance, that performs the same regardless of i3, i5, or i7, so the FX-8350 should be completely fine. Not to mention the FX-8350 can trade blows with the i5-4670k or 4690k. Either GPU would be a great fit, but you will get better price to performance with the 390. Plus the 8gb of GDDR5 memory will be beneficial if you move to 1440p or 4k on medium settings. Just my opinion, I hope whatever you get works out well for you.

The driver overhead on the 390 won't do your FX any good. If you really have to stick the to the FX, the 970 will be better with a lower performing CPU. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

390 would be my recommendation.  The driver overhead is largely irrelevant for an 8350.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

either one but honestly like ive said a few times id watch the evga b stock site and buy a 970 from there with a 1 year warranty for 250.00 OR a gtx 980 for 350.00 bucks. if you stalk them you will eventually get one. there are a few 980's on there now