GTX 960 2gb vs 4gb at 1080p gaming

capoon

Basically I want to hear your guys' opinion on whether it's worth the extra 25 for a 4gb version instead of a 2gb for gaming at 1080p. I also want you to take into consideration some mild furute proofing, as in will it be a big deal a couple of a years from now if I bought a 2gb version over 4gb. Also I'm fine with being able to run the games in future at like medium/highish settings if 2gb would be enough for that.

I don't recommend buying a GPU with anything less than 4GB VRAM in this day and age. So there's that.

I don't know much about this price category of GPUs, but I believe the R9 380 4GB is a better card for about the same amount of money. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

1 minute ago, capoon said:

Basically I want to hear your guys' opinion on whether it's worth the extra 25 for a 4gb version instead of a 2gb for gaming at 1080p. I also want you to take into consideration some mild furute proofing, as in will it be a big deal a couple of a years from now if I bought a 2gb version over 4gb. Also I'm fine with being able to run the games in future at like medium/highish settings if 2gb would be enough for that.

If you want to run almost all newer games at high texture settings, you'll want the 4GB card. Honestly, there isn't much "future proofing" (hate that term) with that card as it's more of a budget gaming card, not a high end one. However, if it is only that much more, you really might as well buy the 4GB version.

I'd definitely go with the 4gb version, but $25 seems steep, so unless you need an Nvidia specfic feature I would be considering the 4gb 380. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I would get 4gb version, because in some games frames drop critically. (Not in every game)

I have a 960 SSC 4gb at home. Let me know what you would like benchmarked and I'll post my results and full specs. 

I would go for the 4 gig, especially if you want to future proof. These days, you almost need it. Go for the R9 380. Much better price to performance. 

Headphones:

Spoiler

Sony MDR V6 (DT 250 pads), restored 1987 AKG K240M 600ohm (Cosmos pads with dt250 filters), AKG K7XX, Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250 ohm, Bose Ae2 & Sony MDR v150. All off of a Bravo V2 shuguang tube, Little Dot mkII with GE JAN 5654 tubes, a CEntrance Dacport slim and a UCA222.

PC:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    i7 6700k
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z170s
  • RAM
    Crucial Ballistix (white)
  • GPU
    Asus 1070 Strix OC
  • Case
    Phanteks P400
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 pro, Seagate barracuda 1tb
  • PSU
    Evga G1 650W (regret)
  • Display(s)
    Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1920x1080 60hz 5ms & ASUS PB277Q 27" 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Deepcool Captain 240EX white
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G810
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 (switching to linux soon)

Just now, inadaizz said:

I have a 960 SSC 4gb at home. Let me know what you would like benchmarked and I'll post my results and full specs. 

Nothing in particular, I see all these people recommending r9 380 versus the gtx 960, but I sort of made up my mind to stick with nvidia. Do you feel like the card is serving you well? I checked some bechmarks and I couldn't really spot a huge difference in most of the games, but I was wondering for the future before I upgrade again if 2gb would be fine for a couple of years.

4 minutes ago, Whorax said:

I don't recommend buying a GPU with anything less than 4GB VRAM in this day and age. So there's that.

I don't know much about this price category of GPUs, but I believe the R9 380 4GB is a better card for about the same amount of money. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

You're not wrong, they cost roughly the same amount of money, but I'm more for team nvidia cause I don't have experience with amd cards. I hear all kinds of things on both sides so it's pretty hard to decide without experiencing it first hand... Sadly I can only pick one card, so I think I'll go with nvidia this time.

6 minutes ago, K0MP4CT said:

If you want to run almost all newer games at high texture settings, you'll want the 4GB card. Honestly, there isn't much "future proofing" (hate that term) with that card as it's more of a budget gaming card, not a high end one. However, if it is only that much more, you really might as well buy the 4GB version.

I get that, I was scepting about using that term but what I meant is let's say i want to buy a card that will serve me for another 2 or even 3 years before I upgrade again. So I was asking if the 4gb will be a big deal over 2gb in those 2 year time. Again I'm not expecting to run new games at ultra settings or anything, I'll be sattisfied with medium/highish as I mentioned.

I'd get the R9 380 instead of a 960.

But beside that, when choosing b/w 2GB and 4GB 960, I'd definitely go for a 4GB one. I've experienced problems with 2GB while playing GTA V. I experienced some weird white flashes when using 2GB 960. Then I returned it and got a 4GB one, and no longer have that problem.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

4 minutes ago, capoon said:

Nothing in particular, I see all these people recommending r9 380 versus the gtx 960, but I sort of made up my mind to stick with nvidia. Do you feel like the card is serving you well? I checked some bechmarks and I couldn't really spot a huge difference in most of the games, but I was wondering for the future before I upgrade again if 2gb would be fine for a couple of years.

I love this card. My last card was a terrible GTX 9800 so I'm not used to wielding all this power. I've ran every game on max setting and it has been fine by me. Some times I'll drop below 60 but over all I'm really happy. I bought it on amazon on black friday so I got a good deal. At the time the SSC 4gb was actually cheaper so it was a no brainer for me. 

Just now, kameshss said:

I'd get the R9 380 instead of a 960.

But beside that, when choosing b/w 2GB and 4GB 960, I'd definitely go for a 4GB one. I've experienced problems with 2GB while playing GTA V. I experienced some weird white flashes when using 2GB 960. Then I returned it and got a 4GB one, and no longer have that problem.

Thank you for a great arguement, this is the type of answer that affects my decision, when you can give me a an example of performance in games vs what sounds right in theory. 

2 minutes ago, inadaizz said:

I love this card. My last card was a terrible GTX 9800 so I'm not used to wielding all this power. I've ran every game on max setting and it has been fine by me. Some times I'll drop below 60 but over all I'm really happy. I bought it on amazon on black friday so I got a good deal. At the time the SSC 4gb was actually cheaper so it was a no brainer for me. 

Cool, glad you like it, makes me even more sure about my decision to stick with nvidia. I personally don't mind if fps drops bellow 60. I think most games are playable at 40+ framerate. Would you mind sharing the rest of your pc specs so I can get a better idea of what I should expect? 

1 minute ago, capoon said:

Thank you for a great arguement, this is the type of answer that affects my decision, when you can give me a an example of performance in games vs what sounds right in theory. 

You can definitely go for 4GB one. I thought 2GB was more than enough for 1080p. But later I felt bad about the performance that I was getting. Thanks to my seller. He had return policy for 30 days. So, I got it exchanged with little extra price. And that price is worth.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

4 minutes ago, capoon said:

Here ya go, all the cards run together.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, kameshss said:

You can definitely go for 4GB one. I thought 2GB was more than enough for 1080p. But later I felt bad about the performance that I was getting. Thanks to my seller. He had return policy for 30 days. So, I got it exchanged with little extra price. And that price is worth.

I've heard the same thing about 2gb being enough for 1080p gaming, but I'm well aware that things are changing even now, not to mention a couple of years from now. That's why I wanted to ask you guys about your thoughts and experiences.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Here ya go, all the cards run together.

Thanks, I haven't seen this benchmark yet, I'll check it out asap.

2 minutes ago, capoon said:

Thanks, I haven't seen this benchmark yet, I'll check it out asap.

The video that @App4that posted one is a good example. Check it out.

Forget future proofing, neither card gives you any buffer zone. You'll get good performance now and it will gradually go down in time with new games. Generally 2gb are just fine for 1080p (especially when the gpu isn't the most powerful to begin with), however for 25€ I'd say the 4gb version is worth the extra.

Before purchasing it however take a look at the r9 380, it is faster in a lot of games and if the price is similar I would say it is a better choice.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 minutes ago, capoon said:

Cool, glad you like it, makes me even more sure about my decision to stick with nvidia. I personally don't mind if fps drops bellow 60. I think most games are playable at 40+ framerate. Would you mind sharing the rest of your pc specs so I can get a better idea of what I should expect? 

I just recently upgraded. I'm currently running a i7- 6700, stock dell board, 16gb DDR4, 650 power supply, GTX 960 SSC 4gb.

A few weeks ago it was running on some other random board I have with an i3-???? and 6gb DDR3. I noticed a small improvement with CPU/RAM/HDD upgrade but nothing too major in is noticeable to the naked eye. My i3 / ddr3 / GTX 960 SSC ran GTA5 fine. Load screens could have been shorter. 

8 minutes ago, kameshss said:

The video that @App4that posted one is a good example. Check it out.

Thanks a bunch :)