Vishera

What do u guys think AMDs new CPU's eg: how high have you been able to overclock them and have eight cores provided benefit?

Eight core is a benefit if you are doing something that can leverage the cores like rendering or editing. Gaming will not leverage more than 4 cores max. From what I know unless you get a dud chip which there is always some in each batch of chips then they seem to overclock quite well.

What do u guys think AMDs new CPU's eg: how high have you been able to overclock them and have eight cores provided benefit?

They overclock fine, but get really thirsty. The 8 cores don't really benefit very much of anything; in gaming, the 3570K beats it by 5 or more fps in pretty much any game.

I use the 8 core FX 8350 in my home server/megatasking machine. It works very well and with all the multitasking that I do, I can leverage all 8 cores. I've achieved 5.02ghz @ 56C at load on air (NH-D14.) If you can leverage the core count, it's a great chip for the price.

Thanks for the input my opinion is that for editing the intel side is a lot more reliable I guess and faster but I think the 8350 is quite fast at stock it's already 4.0 ghz but it doesn't overclock aswell as the intel CPUs I've heard of people getting 2500ks up to 5.2 GHZ stable at like 65 degrees with an h100 which is really good I'm not sure if that temperatures legit though my mate can exaggerate.

If you check anandtechs review of the 8350 you can see that in heavily threaded applications Vishera performs nicely, however in single threaded applications it doesn't fair so well and loses to Intels i3.

You have to choose the processor that is best for what you are doing.

If you are going to constantly leverage the core on 8350 for things like rendering then its probably the getter investment. The 8350 and the rest of the Vishera line perform well for gaming.

But for things like gaming the Intel CPUs do perform better.

AMD CPU's are good for cheap workstation computers. Intel CPU's are good for gaming PC's and higher-end workstation computers, Intel processors can overclock like champions if they are unlocked. Definitely better than an AMD chip.

I use the 8 core FX 8350 in my home server/megatasking machine. It works very well and with all the multitasking that I do' date=' I can leverage all 8 cores. I've achieved 5.02ghz @ 56C at load on air (NH-D14.) If you can leverage the core count, it's a great chip for the price. [/quote']

Same with me, but i did overclock it on 5.15ghz on 1.48v with the D14, and it doesnt go above 60°C with prime95

nice im surprised that the vishera can go that high for an overclock

amd fx 6300  @4.4ghz @1.4/ga-970a-ud3/HD78702gb /antec 620w psu

nice im surprised that the vishera can go that high for an overclock

One problem: i just now saw that he has a 8350, i have a 8320, but it doesnt matter.. About that high overclock, its hard to keep it on 5ghz, coz it eats my PSU, so I'm planning a upgrade very soon, something about 700+ W...

There are ways you can make Vishera CPUs work for you and compete well with intel counterparts.

For an example you can buy an FX 8320 for about 160/170$ (60-50$ cheaper than a 3570k) (on amazon) and those chips can overclock almost as well as fx 8350 chips, you can take the base core clock from 3.5Ghz to 5Ghz on an NHD-14 that's an increase of 42.8% on the base core clock.

And the beauty with the Piledriver architecture is that you do gain a lot of performance from the higher core clocks.

Now with your overclocked piledriver chip you have a chip that can perform extraordinarily well in multi-threaded tasks (perform as well as and outperform a 3770K depending on the application for 100$ less)

You'll still have good gaming performance, because remember games are almost always bound by the GPU more than they are bound by the CPU, unless it's a console game that's been poorly ported.

The only drawback that remains is the power consumption, which will require you to have a more capable (more expensive) power supply.

Now there are ways to reduce the power consumption of the chip especially in gaming without impacting the performance, and that's by disabling one core per module on the FX chip.

And you will end up with a real 4 core CPU. 4 cores is all you will really need for gaming and if you intend to do any heavily threaded stuff, you just enable back the 4 cores that you disabled.

However it still might be considered just too much of a hassle by gamers (especially that we are well renowned for being lazy).

and so we choose to go with the easy solution which is a 3570K.

If you are buying a AMD system why wouldn't you buy the newest? People complain because there's no point upgrading. But if you have extra money go for intel, its better for gaming.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

and have eight cores provided benefit?

Naturally more cores does allow for better CPU performance, given that it extends the simultaneous processing of a chip. The larger problem however, is that not all programs will fully utilize all eight cores that it has - as already said more games are using 2-4 cores, and even then those cores aren't all being fully utilized. In such cases, it's often better to either go for an Intel counter part which has a higher IPC (such as the 3570k), or go for the quad core version which is the FX-4300, which would provide near identical performance for a lower price.

I have a 8350, I'm happy with the performance I get, but quite honestly unless you won't OC or run many apps at once OR you are budget limited I would go with a 8350, but there really is very little point for a gamer to have a 8350, just go with an Intel 3570k for gaming.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also going to be editing I'm gonna go with a 3770k or maybe if ivybridge E comes out b4 I get enough money to build my rig ill get that though I doubt it'll be cheap infact I can almost garuantee they'll be above my price range unless I save up a shitload of money.

Now i just asking, but is it all just nonsens, i mean, on Intel you get better FPS and so on, but can we really se it? I would say you well get a good pc to gaming with a AMD chip and no matter what you would play most games great on at FX-8xxx serie. So why is it so importen? Call me stupid, but if the game is play smoothly what is the point of some better FPS? I do not think it makes the game better. The FPS you get i something i cant see, and really does not care about. I have a AMD FX-8120 and the only reason is because of the price that all, i would give a shit about som better FPS, the only thing i care about is how smooth the game is and how good i looks, and how the gameplay is not some stupid FPS