I7 5820k - Corsair 450D build

Hey guys,

I'm currently planning a new build and wanted to get other people's opinions on it. Here it is:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/88vY4D

I designed this build with future graphics cards upgrades in mind. For this reason I chose an I7, enough power to keep me going for years to come. I also calculated that a 650w power supply should be enough for 2-way SLI if a wanted to go that route. My goal is to only have to upgrade the graphics card for the next 6-8 years (and maybe adding some storage). I'll probably wait for Pascal's release but for now I chose the GTX 970. The 120gb SSD should be enough space for me, I currently use a 120gb SSD in my laptop on which I store everything (OS, personal files, chrome, steam etc.) except my games and I'm using less than 40gb. Any suggestions/comments are welcome!

Marekjdj

Are you sure you need a 5820k, the only reason you would get one is if you were doing some thing that requires a good cpu, like video streaming or rendering. i would go with an i5 if you are just gonna be gaming. 

6 minutes ago, Marekjdj said:

Hey guys,

I'm currently planning a new build and wanted to get other people's opinions on it. Here it is:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/88vY4D

I designed this build with future graphics cards upgrades in mind. For this reason I chose an I7, enough power to keep me going for years to come. I also calculated that a 650w power supply should be enough for 2-way SLI if a wanted to go that route. My goal is to only have to upgrade the graphics card for the next 6-8 years (and maybe adding some storage). I'll probably wait for Pascal's release but for now I chose the GTX 970. The 120gb SSD should be enough space for me, I currently use a 120gb SSD in my laptop on which I store everything (OS, personal files, chrome, steam etc.) except my games and I'm using less than 40gb. Any suggestions/comments are welcome!

Marekjdj

I would recommend you getting a bigger power supply if you are going SLI rout to make sure you have enough PCIE cables...

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

What games at what resolution/framerate are you planning on playing at? Also, do you plan on doing video editing or rendering besides gaming? Because I don't think a 5820K is worth it even in the long run if you just plan on gaming. 

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Maybe a bigger SSD.. mine is 250gb and even still I sometimes find it annoying to juggle software/games.. it fills up faster than I thought it would

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

2 minutes ago, KickinGravy said:

Here is a build that is in the same price range but with better storage and an i5 skylake.
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/KickinGravy/saved/#view=GGpwrH

I would go with this build. It's balanced, you save a couple hundred bucks, and it will still last a number of years without upgrading a single thing.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post