4k Video Card

HdFkK

Hey everyone,

I am planning to get a GeForce 960 Model, I was wondering if that card will handle 4k 60Hz everyday use and some editing in photoshop and lightroom?

You tell me! Who is your daddy and what does he do? 

Systems:

Spoiler

• Silent-WS: 5820k@4,5GHz, 32GB Klevv Cras white DDR4, Titan X Pascal@EKWB, Asus X99 E-WS 3.1, 512GB 950Pro, Caselabs Merlin SM8, Seasonic Prime 850W
  • MacBook: 15" Retina Late 2013
  • Tablet: iPad Pro 10.5"
  • Network Storage: -

yea it should be OK but get the 4GB version

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

4 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

yea it should be OK but get the 4GB version

Wait what? The GTX 960 right? That card can hardly handle 1440p. Am I missing something? 

Just now, Savir said:

Wait what? The GTX 960 right? That card can hardly handle 1440p. Am I missing something?

Not for gaming breh

Just now, Savir said:

4k 60Hz everyday use and some editing in photoshop and lightroom mate

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Just now, dragoon20005 said:

4k 60Hz everyday use and some editing in photoshop and lightroom mate

I though everyday use included gaming. *Face palm* sry

Yeah it will work great

especially if youre using a tv or screen that only has HDMI

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

15 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

It should be fine. I'd probably go with a R9 380 instead.

CUDA

I mean I could also step up, get a factory overclocked 370 because I guess it has a faster Memory Interface and uses the same base chip as a 980. 

Systems:

Spoiler

• Silent-WS: 5820k@4,5GHz, 32GB Klevv Cras white DDR4, Titan X Pascal@EKWB, Asus X99 E-WS 3.1, 512GB 950Pro, Caselabs Merlin SM8, Seasonic Prime 850W

I have this strange feeling that these "GPU Acceleration" stuff is just marketing and it's way better to invest in a powerful multi-core processor for editing software... This just comes from a personal experience with rendering times on CPU vs GPU.

Planning to go with my local Dealer, prices are (in Euro and including Taxes):

MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr 4GB - 375€

Zotac GTX 970 4GB - 330€

ASUS 960 STRIX 4GB - 265€

MSI R9 390 8GB - 370€ R390X - 440€

MSI R9 380 4GB- 250€ 

My limit is somewhere around 350-370, so the R9 390 and the 970 4GB would still be okay, but I would definitely save the cash if it doesn't really matter for what I want to do.

Edit: The Zotac might be right in the sweet spot, but to be honest I do not really trust in the brand

Systems:

Spoiler

Both Cuda and OpenGL/CL can be use in the mentioned programs

Just now, ybriK said:

I have this strange feeling that these "GPU Optimization" stuff is just marketing and it's way better to invest in a powerful multi-core processor for editing software... This just comes from a personal experience with rendering times on CPU vs GPU.

Just got my 5820K today, I think that should not be a bottleneck in my system!

Systems:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HdFkK said:

Just got my 5820K today, I think that should not be a bottleneck in my system!

Yea it'll take probably 5-7 years for that CPU to be a bottleneck with newer GPUs by then. Probably more since you can OC dat.

25 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yeah it will work great

especially if youre using a tv or screen that only has HDMI

I see what you did there. Any of the other options considerable?

Systems:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HdFkK said:

I see what you did there. Any of the other options considerable?

i would be fine with any GTX900 card for non-gaming use

unless you really need GPU performance for photoshop or lightroom (do they even use the PGU that much) you could do with a GTX950

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

i would be fine with any GTX900 card for non-gaming use

unless you really need GPU performance for photoshop or lightroom (do they even use the PGU that much) you could do with a GTX950

Well I am going to use After Effects and Premiere for (hopefully) 4k Time-lapse rendering. Does that change anything? :S

Systems:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, HdFkK said:

Well I am going to use After Effects and Premiere for (hopefully) 4k Time-lapse rendering. Does that change anything? :S

maybe a little more GPU usage

but the 960 isnt very worth it at its price point

see if you can get a bit extra money for a 970, even if you have to buy used

it will be a pretty significant difference for stuff that uses GPU, even just regular 4k video playback will be smoother

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

maybe a little more GPU usage

but the 960 isnt very worth it at its price point

see if you can get a bit extra money for a 970, even if you have to buy used

it will be a pretty significant difference for stuff that uses GPU, even just regular 4k video playback will be smoother

31 minutes ago, HdFkK said:

Zotac GTX 970 4GB - 330€

MSI R9 390 8GB - 370€

MSI R9 380 4GB- 250€ 

I would like to stay under 350, but if its worth stepping it up a litte I´ll do it. (As I said I don´t really trust in Zotac)

Systems:

Spoiler

54 minutes ago, HdFkK said:

Zotac GTX 970 4GB - 330€

MSI R9 390 8GB - 370€ R390X - 440€

MSI R9 380 4GB- 250€ 

My limit is somewhere around 350-370, so the R9 390 and the 970 4GB would still be okay, but I would definitely save the cash if it doesn't really matter for what I want to do.

Edit: The Zotac might be right in the sweet spot, but to be honest I do not really trust in the brand

R9 380, best value.

17 hours ago, TheCovertCamper said:

R9 380, best value.

It is going to be a R9 390 or a maybe 970, I´ll just go into the store and flip a coin I guess. Always kind of liked the red team, they are just so power inefficient these days..

Systems:

Spoiler

Just now, HdFkK said:

It is going to be a R9 390 or a maybe 970, I´ll just go into the store and flip a coin I guess. Always kind of liked the red team, they are just so power inefficient these days..

Get the 390, then. You'll have way more VRAM for editing, 4k content eats that up.

Just now, TheCovertCamper said:

Get the 390, then. You'll have way more VRAM for editing, 4k content eats that up.

Alright, you got me for the AMD. At some point I needed to make a decision anyway! Thanks for the help everyone B|

Systems:

Spoiler